Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SunsRIt

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by SunsRIt »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:56 am
Couldn’t agree with Draymond more. I don’t think it’s a fair discussion because of all the advancements, but if you had a Time Machine and could just put the ‘17 warriors on the court with the ‘96 bulls, I don’t think it’d be close. Warriors would decimate them.
You really think Jordan would let his team get decimated? Not a chance.

Which era game style would they be playing? If it was the Bulls era Curry would not be what he is today, the 3 point shot wasn’t that prevalent. If it was the Warriors era, Jordan would be a much better 3 point shooter because that would be the game. So add a better 3 point shot to everything Jordan already had and he would be a much better player. And the things Dennis Rodman would do to Draymond Green wouldn’t be fair.

Cap

Post by Cap »

SunsRIt wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:59 am
Split T wrote:
Couldn’t agree with Draymond more. I don’t think it’s a fair discussion because of all the advancements, but if you had a Time Machine and could just put the ‘17 warriors on the court with the ‘96 bulls, I don’t think it’d be close. Warriors would decimate them.

Which era game style would they be playing? If it was the Bulls era Curry would not be what he is today, the 3 point shot wasn’t that prevalent.
The 3 point shot wasn’t as prevalent because the 3 point shooters weren’t as good. Put Steph Curry on the floor against a 1996 team and they’d have no idea what to do about him.
And the things Dennis Rodman would do to Draymond Green wouldn’t be fair.
Like marry him?

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Most important, under what way of refereeing would they play?

Because plugging the Warriors on a 1996 match, would leave them crying on the floor or sitting on the bench feeling dizzy (there were no concussions protocols back then). After a couple drives to the basket, Curry would be sent to the floor so hard, his mouth piece would end third row. Closing the lane old fashion way, would prevent a lot of what the Warriors do. Draymond's arms would not survive the first quarter getting the ball in the paint against Rodman.

Now, if we get 2017 referees, the game will be over before halftime because the Bulls would fail to put 5 men on the floor, after fouling out or double tech the entire team including Phil Jackson and Benny the bull.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The exaggeration of the physicality of 80’s/90’s basketball is one of my pet peeves. Ya it was more physical and they were allowed to hand check, but a lot of people like to make it out like every time you drove to the basket you’d get body checked to the floor.

Split T

Post by Split T »

SunsRIt wrote:
Split T wrote:

Which era game style would they be playing? If it was the Bulls era Curry would not be what he is today, the 3 point shot wasn’t that prevalent. If it was the Warriors era, Jordan would be a much better 3 point shooter because that would be the game. So add a better 3 point shot to everything Jordan already had and he would be a much better player. And the things Dennis Rodman would do to Draymond Green wouldn’t be fair.
He’s been decimated before. And like Cap said, the 3 point shot not being as prevalent is exactly what would give the warriors the advantage. They’d rain down 3s and the bulls would be down big before they had time to realize what happened.

I mean those Bulls started Dennis Rodman and Luc Longley together…two absolute zero shooters. Can you imagine Longley trying to guard a pick n roll? Curry would be walking into 3s over and over and would almost certainly set 3pt records in that series.

The W’s wouldn’t have to even guard Longley/Rodman, they’d absolutely pack the paint on Jordan and double him non stop. They could put Kerr in to try and add spacing, but that means he had to play defense now too.

Teams won in the 90’s with size and physicality. The nba adapted and realized that skill and shooting all over the court is a much better way. Longley would be utterly unplayable and I wouldn’t be surprised if Rodman would be hard to play. He’d certainly make a defensive impact, but he’d really hurt offensively. Pippen/Jordan/Kukoc….those are really the only guys I know would have to be on the court.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Remember Jalen Lecque?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:14 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Split T wrote:

He’s been decimated before. And like Cap said, the 3 point shot not being as prevalent is exactly what would give the warriors the advantage. They’d rain down 3s and the bulls would be down big before they had time to realize what happened.

I mean those Bulls started Dennis Rodman and Luc Longley together…two absolute zero shooters. Can you imagine Longley trying to guard a pick n roll? Curry would be walking into 3s over and over and would almost certainly set 3pt records in that series.

The W’s wouldn’t have to even guard Longley/Rodman, they’d absolutely pack the paint on Jordan and double him non stop. They could put Kerr in to try and add spacing, but that means he had to play defense now too.

Teams won in the 90’s with size and physicality. The nba adapted and realized that skill and shooting all over the court is a much better way. Longley would be utterly unplayable and I wouldn’t be surprised if Rodman would be hard to play. He’d certainly make a defensive impact, but he’d really hurt offensively. Pippen/Jordan/Kukoc….those are really the only guys I know would have to be on the court.
That roster’s “death”/modern day lineup would be Harper, Jordan, Kukoc, Pippen, Rodman. Obviously shooting would be a weakness, but they would have good size and their defense would be incredible.

Indy

Post by Indy »

All depends on which refs are working, because I am not sure the defense those guys play would be allowed today.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:41 pm
That roster’s “death”/modern day lineup would be Harper, Jordan, Kukoc, Pippen, Rodman. Obviously shooting would be a weakness, but they would have good size and their defense would be incredible.
That was the death lineup even in their own day. Longley rarely played in crunch time.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:06 pm
The exaggeration of the physicality of 80’s/90’s basketball is one of my pet peeves. Ya it was more physical and they were allowed to hand check, but a lot of people like to make it out like every time you drove to the basket you’d get body checked to the floor.
Ask yourself what KJ could accomplish in today's game, assuming that he could shoot 3s at a 35% clip.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:25 pm
Split T wrote:
Ask yourself what KJ could accomplish in today's game, assuming that he could shoot 3s at a 35% clip.
He was a career <19% 3 point shooter until they moved the line close to the hoop for those 3 years at the end of his career.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This is kinda fun

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:25 pm
Split T wrote:
KJ would have had a much longer career if in today’s NBA and been a better version of D Fox; Better table setter, not as big, but a better mid range pull up than Fox (at least it feels that way). KJ didn’t take crap shots. What kills me about KJ in retrospect was that wasn’t the best fit for Barkley to play alongside. It seems he did his best to adapt. In the playoffs, Barkley needed another guy to make difficult shots in half court.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I feel like Tony Parker was always a good modern comp for KJ. Of course KJ did have more explosion at the rim.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Seeing how social media is today and considering that fact that Kevin Johnson is a Pedophile, my guess is he wouldn’t have much of a career.

I hope to see the day where his name is scrubbed from everything suns related.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Just re-read that article. I knew KJ had those allegations, but I didn't realize there were so many young women who accused him. Oof.

Indy

Post by Indy »

When you are a former professional basketball player (of decent fame) and a former two-time mayor of a large-ish city, your wikipedia page should have as much to say about your numerous scandals than your other 2 careers...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Joh ... troversies

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I learned not to make athletes into role models in the 80's. It was a hard lesson to learn with Walter Davis.

So yes, Charles Barkley was right when he said "I am not a role model"

We don't know the first think about what's going on in their heads. Sometimes there's a Roger Staubach or David Robinson who seems 100% safe, but in reality none of them are.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:27 am
Seeing how social media is today and considering that fact that Kevin Johnson is a Pedophile, my guess is he wouldn’t have much of a career.

I hope to see the day where his name is scrubbed from everything suns related.
I don't know if there is any evidence that he is a pedophile. I think the word you're looking for is ephebophile.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.