Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:59 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:27 am
Seeing how social media is today and considering that fact that Kevin Johnson is a Pedophile, my guess is he wouldn’t have much of a career.

I hope to see the day where his name is scrubbed from everything suns related.
I don't know if there is any evidence that he is a pedophile. I think the word you're looking for is ephebophile.
I don't think so. The article posted was about a young woman.

ETA: OK, so I guess it could be a male or female. The first quote I saw mentioned young boys.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Regardless, he clearly didn't have legal age of consent or consent of any kind to engage in such behavior. I still don't understand how he became mayor after the first case.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:10 pm
Regardless, he clearly didn't have legal age of consent or consent of any kind to engage in such behavior. I still don't understand how he became mayor after the first case.
If we are going there, how does one become president after similar accusations?

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:34 pm
I learned not to make athletes into role models in the 80's. It was a hard lesson to learn with Walter Davis.

So yes, Charles Barkley was right when he said "I am not a role model"

We don't know the first think about what's going on in their heads. Sometimes there's a Roger Staubach or David Robinson who seems 100% safe, but in reality none of them are.
Not even Jerrod Mustaf.

As an aside, I honestly really hate my name (jared), both due to childhood trauma and jared fogle. Sigh.

I've considered legally changing it for years; I may have to make a poll.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:31 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:34 pm
I learned not to make athletes into role models in the 80's. It was a hard lesson to learn with Walter Davis.

So yes, Charles Barkley was right when he said "I am not a role model"

We don't know the first think about what's going on in their heads. Sometimes there's a Roger Staubach or David Robinson who seems 100% safe, but in reality none of them are.
Not even Jerrod Mustaf.

As an aside, I honestly really hate my name (jared), both due to childhood trauma and jared fogle. Sigh.

I've considered legally changing it for years; I may have to make a poll.
I was contacted by a business partner of Mustaf's a few years back about the semi-pro basketball league they were involved in the ownership of (the Street Basketball Association). It just made my skin crawl to even think of doing anything to help them out, so I immediately declined.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

No.

But he does get his 8 hours of sleep a night from my understanding.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

5 more years for a 32 year old Draymond seems like a mistake. He’s already fallen off a bit physically. His shot has abandoned him…I think his game could get real ugly. I wouldn’t pay him if I’m GS. I just let him play out his contract.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:34 pm
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/dray ... er-report/

Is Draymond a max player? :twisted:
Not according to the Warriors or Eddie Johnson.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think he deserves the superduper ultra max. It takes up 80% of the cap. The Warriors should do that.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:19 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Very good point but back to basketball...my guess is that KJ could have developed a 3 or shot earlier in his career had it been as important back then. He had a killer mid range jumper and did well with the shortened line. Lots of players with worse form shoot much better from the 3 nowadays.

From a purely basketball POV, KJ would have been a better Harden in today's game.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:35 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:19 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Very good point but back to basketball...my guess is that KJ could have developed a 3 or shot earlier in his career had it been as important back then. He had a killer mid range jumper and did well with the shortened line. Lots of players with worse form shoot much better from the 3 nowadays.

From a purely basketball POV, KJ would have been a better Harden in today's game.
I don't think KJ could have ever shouldered the usage load Harden has.

KJ's peak was 25% and only did that once. Harden has never had one that low except for his first 3 years in OKC when he was 3rd fiddle to two other first ballot HOFs. Harden's peak usage is over 40% for a season and his average is over 30%.

Definitely a better team player, though.
Last edited by Indy on Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

A better Harden? That’s a massive leap that requires a lot of assumption.

Indy

Post by Indy »

There is a generation/age of Suns fans (me included) that idolized KJ. He was by far my favorite player of my teen years.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I get that, I also really liked him, though I was like 2 when he came to the suns, so I only remember his later years and I was still elementary age. But I remember wanting to think he was just as good or better than his contemporaries (Stockton, Payton). I think him turning out to be a predator made it easy to look back and judge his playing days more fairly. He’s not on those guys level. Maybe for a season or two, but he couldn’t stay healthy.

I know people don’t like Harden and he does have some major playoff struggles, but he won an mvp and finished top 3 like 2-3 other times. KJ was never a top 5 player and was only a top 10 guy a few times. He’s also 6’5 and like 225 pounds. He dominated by being an absolute elite iso guy who could hit step-back pull up 3s at the same rate as good catch and shoot guys. I doubt KJ ever hit a step back pull up 3. You can’t just assume someone would have that skill if they played later.

I just don’t think KJ was anything like Harden and he was never close to the level of impact. Could KJ have been better in today’s game? Maybe, but he definitely would have needed to learn to shoot. And if you’re gonna compare him to a former mvp, Derrick Rose is the one. First step, explosion at the rim(though Rose has KJ there), sketchy outside shot(though KJ just didn’t shoot it), and injury issues. It’s kinda all there.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't disagree with any of that.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I always thought KJ had one of the prettiest jumpers. Ever. Very smooth stroke.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:28 pm
I always thought KJ had one of the prettiest jumpers. Ever. Very smooth stroke.
We don't have positional data for most of KJ's career, but for the years we have, his 16' to 3P line FG% was 46%. For comparison, Book's is 42% and Chris Paul's is 47%.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

KJ had a very dependable perimeter shot - he just didn't have 3-point range. Most players didn't emphasize that then.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:05 pm
KJ had a very dependable perimeter shot - he just didn't have 3-point range. Most players didn't emphasize that then.
A ton of his contemporary PG sure did. All of these guys had a least 1 season where they took at least 3 attempts per game during 1987-2000 (KJ's career) while listed as a PG, whereas KJ never got above 1.0.

Gary Payton
Mark Price
Magic Johnson
Nick Van Excel
Scott Skiles
Damon Stoudemire
Doc Rivers
Terry Porter
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Derek Harper
Tim Hardaway
Penny
Stevie Francis
Sam Cassell
Mookie Blaylock
Dannie Ainge
Mahmoud Abdul Rauf
Chauncey Billups
Dana Barros

And those are just the well-known ones. There are several other less-known guys like Dee Brown and Darrell Armstrong...