Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Many times those kinds of stats are misleading or inflated.

I like that the Suns will get a look at Washington. Hopefully he's able to contribute more than Holiday or Payton.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

He's not really a point guard though - 3.2 assists per 36 minutes - but he can shoot the ball a little.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah unusual for a PG to average more rebounds than assists. In his last year at Ohio State he averaged 3.4 boards and 2.9 assists.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He does have some size though at 6’3 200 and a 6’8 wingspan. I’m not sure how his defense is, but he’s bigger than Jevon Carter and while he hasn’t shown much playmaking for others, he can create for himself a bit. Seems like a pretty solid 2-way contract. Seems like a guy that should be on a 15-man roster. There’s enough talent there that I can see him carving out a nice rotation role in the nba.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Love the move. Now add Sarr with the other one, make a consolidation trade (KD would be nice) and give Ish a roster spot.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I'm surprised we were able to get him on a 2-way contract. You would think someone would have given him a more guaranteed deal. Seems like the kind of guy that San Antonio or Orlando could have signed and used easily. Oh well, good for us!

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Some interesting 3 point shooting games...decent on assists and pts, albeit with spotty minutes. His turnovers concern me a little. Worth a look, I guess. We still need upgrades at backup PG and a strong inside player, be it C or PF. We really haven't done great things this summer roster wise...

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Looked at who liked this tweet from June :lol:

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Payne and Crowder coming for Kellan haha

Split T

Post by Split T »

Don’t know how I ended up putting this post in last off-season’s thread…back to this off-season.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:34 am
I'm surprised we were able to get him on a 2-way contract. You would think someone would have given him a more guaranteed deal. Seems like the kind of guy that San Antonio or Orlando could have signed and used easily. Oh well, good for us!
I like the signing. He's got some potential but he really isn't all that good yet is why no one picked him up. He was pretty much forced to play on a tanking Pacers team. He's what they call a "volume shooter." He's definitely got confidence which is good and seems like he's a hard worker but he isn't much of a player yet. I look forward to his improvement.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ish on a 2-way as well. These both really do feel like, hey sign right now and we’ll bump you to the 15 man roster once we make a trade

Indy

Post by Indy »

yeah I have a hard time believing nobody else would offer them a minimum some where.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:17 pm

Ish on a 2-way as well. These both really do feel like, hey sign right now and we’ll bump you to the 15 man roster once we make a trade
Fantastic 2 way players

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

djy2j wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:58 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
I like the signing. He's got some potential but he really isn't all that good yet is why no one picked him up. He was pretty much forced to play on a tanking Pacers team. He's what they call a "volume shooter." He's definitely got confidence which is good and seems like he's a hard worker but he isn't much of a player yet. I look forward to his improvement.
Yea we need a straight scorer somewhere - someone who can get a bucket. It's shot creation, but also just being a threat with the ball. Payne's been that for us but he's too streaky and is more of a scoring point guard. Shamet is mostly limited to C+S opps, Even if DWJ doesn't stand out, he's an option. His other stats don't bother me so much because for this role we don't need a PG per say, we need a bucket.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

We've got 16 players now:

PG: CP3, Payne, Washington
SG: Booker, Shamet, Lee
SF: Bridges, Craig, Okogie
PF: Crowder, Saric, Craig, Wainwright
C: Ayton, Biyombo, Landale

Flex has been saying that several veterans have been waiting for space to clear with the Suns in case they trade for KD.

KD is reportedly meeting with the owner of the Nets this week, for unspecified reasons.

Crowder hinted change is coming. LeBron can sign an extension on the 4th, and we're writing to hear about Kyrie.

I think the damn is going to burst sometime between next week and mid-September. I honestly think the Suns are still the top landing spot for KD, despite what all the national pundits are saying.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:25 pm
yeah I have a hard time believing nobody else would offer them a minimum some where.
Washington had a really strong end to the season last year. I think it's a great scoring pickup for us.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I still don’t think we’ve addressed our critical needs, which to me are 1) additional shot creation, 2) some functional athleticism and/or size at the 4 and 3) an upgrade in our rotation’s top 8. The KD trade would address all 3, but if that’s not going to happen, I hope we’re making other moves. It’s hard to see how this team is better equipped for the playoffs than last year (as of today).

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:59 pm
djy2j wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:58 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
Yea we need a straight scorer somewhere - someone who can get a bucket. It's shot creation, but also just being a threat with the ball. Payne's been that for us but he's too streaky and is more of a scoring point guard. Shamet is mostly limited to C+S opps, Even if DWJ doesn't stand out, he's an option. His other stats don't bother me so much because for this role we don't need a PG per say, we need a bucket.
Didn't he attack the rim more than any guard off the bench last year?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:13 pm
I still don’t think we’ve addressed our critical needs, which to me are 1) additional shot creation, 2) some functional athleticism and/or size at the 4 and 3) an upgrade in our rotation’s top 8. The KD trade would address all 3, but if that’s not going to happen, I hope we’re making other moves. It’s hard to see how this team is better equipped for the playoffs than last year (as of today).
All of this. Yeah KD fixes basically all of that and we 'just' have to count on good health. But without that move, I don't see us as a better constructed team from last year.