AZ elections/politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: The GOP / RNC

Post by Mori Chu »

AZ GOP Governors' primary debate. These numbskulls are the best the GOP has to offer.

Indy

Post by Indy »

People keep saying this about so many elected officials, but nothing has happened, not even a charge, and we are 18 months after the crime.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Arizona congressional candidate’s new ad says he needs guns against Democrats in Klan hoods
https://www.azfamily.com/2022/07/07/ari ... lan-hoods/

Dems in Klan hoods? I wonder what the distribution is between Dems and Cons in the Klan today. I have been under the impression that the vast majority of Klan members today are red neck Maga, not Dems.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Arizona's governor signed a law that limits filming police
https://www.npr.org/2022/07/09/11106598 ... ing-police
PHOENIX — Arizona's governor has signed a law that restricts how the public can video police at a time when there's growing pressure across the U.S. for greater law enforcement transparency.

Civil rights and media groups opposed the measure that Republican Gov. Doug Ducey signed Thursday. The law makes it illegal in Arizona to knowingly video police officers 8 feet (2.5 meters) or closer without an officer's permission.

Someone on private property with the owner's consent can also be ordered to stop recording if a police officer finds they are interfering or the area is not safe. The penalty is a misdemeanor that would likely incur a fine without jail time.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

^ That seems like a pretty clear 1st Amendment violation. I suspect it will be struck down in court quickly. Also, wtf causes people to want to pass laws like that? Filming police is bad, why, exactly? Fucking fascists.

Indy

Post by Indy »

About that AZ law on filming the police. What it allows the cops to do is simply walk towards you while filming them, and now you are committing a crime. I assume they can then confiscate your phone and/or arrest you?

I would like to think it will be struck down, but I am not familiar enough with the partisan make up of the AZ court systems. I won't hold my breath.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Hate to say it but the US is so fucked

Nodack

Re: Trump 2024

Post by Nodack »

F’ing STUPID! Her Spidey sense went off and she detected stealing… a week from now.

Arizona’s MAGA Candidate for Guv Pulls a Trump and Alleges Fraud Days Before Vote
https://www.thedailybeast.com/arizonas- ... efore-vote
Donald Trump lackey and Republican candidate for Arizona governor Kari Lake claims she is “detecting some stealing” in the upcoming election—a week before the actual vote.
Last edited by Nodack on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I can't tell what her deal is. Does she believe what she is saying? Did she become "radicalized" recently or did she always feel this way but openly say things she didn't believe for the last 20 years? Is she just doing what will get her the most money/power/fame?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That’s where I’m at. Dems see her as fake. Non Maga Republicans see her as fake. Once again, Maga is gullible to liars and frauds.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Brain worms.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think it is short sighted to chalk this up to stupidity. The GOP has been focused and organized for 40-50 years to take away basic human rights and shift the burden of funding the government to the lowest income class while protecting corporations and the top 10%. It is very structured, very well-funded, and has been very successful. It is anything but stupidity. Calling it stupid dismisses it instead of addressing it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump created a monster. Now Republicans claim fraud even before elections and even on Republican primaries. Maybe that’s smart. I’m not impressed.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Awesome news!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/04/politics ... index.html
Kari Lake will win GOP nomination for Arizona governor, CNN projects, becoming fourth election denier to secure major nomination in the state

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:54 pm
Awesome news!!!

Kari Lake will win GOP nomination for Arizona governor, CNN projects, becoming fourth election denier to secure major nomination in the state
That’s awesome news? She could seriously win.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It was sarcasm.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AZ should be pretty embarrassed at the kind of GOP candidates they have chosen. Basically they've picked the most loony kooks in each primary, a bunch of election deniers and insurrectionists. You can't run a healthy country if 1/2 of it keeps nominating garbage humans like this for important offices.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:04 am
Nodack wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:54 pm
Awesome news!!!

That’s awesome news? She could seriously win.
If I had to pick one of the GOP front runners to be the governor, it would be Lake. Robson actually knows how to fuck over everyone and would be a Ducey 2.0 but with more connections and more ability to do harm.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:00 am
AZ should be pretty embarrassed at the kind of GOP candidates they have chosen. Basically they've picked the most loony kooks in each primary, a bunch of election deniers and insurrectionists. You can't run a healthy country if 1/2 of it keeps nominating garbage humans like this for important offices.
I agree with your overall sentiment, but I think you are overly demonizing a huge chunk of humans. There are over 7.2 million people in AZ, and only 337,000 voted to nominate Lake. It isn't 50%, more like <5%.

The issue isn't that too many people are voting for awful candidates, it is that too many people aren't voting (and that is how the awful people want it and can control it).