Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: Phx-Suns.net Vet League is up and running

Post by Superbone »

Gladiator wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:13 am
It's looking like I'll have to take a pass on the upcoming season. I've got a lot going on - and coming up - and don't think I'll be able to commit the time or effort needed to be a part of this league. I do love it and hope to be able to rejoin in future seasons though, if the possibility is there.
Yeah, looks like I'm retiring early next year. I'd be interested in rejoining in the future.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:51 am
Gladiator wrote:
It's looking like I'll have to take a pass on the upcoming season. I've got a lot going on - and coming up - and don't think I'll be able to commit the time or effort needed to be a part of this league. I do love it and hope to be able to rejoin in future seasons though, if the possibility is there.
Yeah, looks like I'm retiring early next year. I'd be interested in rejoining in the future.
Congrats!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:30 pm
Superbone wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
Congrats!
Thanks, man! It's pretty exciting. I'm ready for the next phase of my life. Just have to figure out the insurance thing for five years until Medicare kicks in. I might do Cobra for the rest of 2023 and then use the marketplace. Whatever is less expensive. Still trying to figure out where I want to live though.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Gladiator wrote:
Thanks for the heads up and I'll always find a space for you guys who want to return in the future.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:19 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
Congrats!
Thanks, man! It's pretty exciting. I'm ready for the next phase of my life. Just have to figure out the insurance thing for five years until Medicare kicks in. I might do Cobra for the rest of 2023 and then use the marketplace. Whatever is less expensive. Still trying to figure out where I want to live though.
Both of those are really big decisions. The insurance part is what I am still trying to figure out. I still have time (my plan is to retire at 55.5 but that is 8 years away), but the insurance is such a mess.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:50 am
Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:19 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
Congrats!
Both of those are really big decisions. The insurance part is what I am still trying to figure out. I still have time (my plan is to retire at 55.5 but that is 8 years away), but the insurance is such a mess.
Ah, the year your 401k funds are available to you without penalty. :D

I've thought more of the where to live thing and I'm wondering why I'd leave the SD area. Can't beat the weather. Might just stay.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

More about that being the time when I should have reached my retirement dollar amount with enough of a buffer, both kids should be done with undergrad or close to it, and time to start my new career. I will also have enough in non-retirement accounts to get us to 62.5 without worry.

And yeah, if I could afford to live anywhere and didn't have to worry about aging parents, I would be in the Carlsbad/Encinitas/Oceanside area.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:06 am
More about that being the time when I should have reached my retirement dollar amount with enough of a buffer, both kids should be done with undergrad or close to it, and time to start my new career. I will also have enough in non-retirement accounts to get us to 62.5 without worry.

And yeah, if I could afford to live anywhere and didn't have to worry about aging parents, I would be in the Carlsbad/Encinitas/Oceanside area.
What's significant about 62.5? Do you plan to take SS early? I was thinking I'd wait until 70 to maximize it. Assuming it's still around.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

It was just a safety net. I am not planning on it at all for retirement. But I wanted to not touch any of my 401k until at least 62.5. And my company stock options and RSUs automatically vest immediately once you are 55 (and my bonus pay outs and option awards all happen right between birthdays for me, hence the .5 being added to my 55).

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Gonna take a break from the league this year, have some things coming up in the fall and not sure I can keep up with the daily settings. Was a good run tho, might look to rejoin next season.

bIGDRAWLS0072

Post by bIGDRAWLS0072 »

Change the setting back to the standard yahoo settings. Seems like people are losing interest and dropping out lately.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

bIGDRAWLS0072 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:12 pm
Change the setting back to the standard yahoo settings. Seems like people are losing interest and dropping out lately.
We're already on standard settings.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bIGDRAWLS0072

Post by bIGDRAWLS0072 »

What do you think about putting turn overs back on as the tie breaker?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think it's a bad idea and totally unrelated to people backing out of the league this year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I don’t like turnovers, I’d prefer to keep them off. And it sounds like we had 2 drop out and 2 people who wanted to add, correct? So we should still have 12. I’m in favor of adding a 9th category, but not sure what the best option is.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:24 am
Ya I don’t like turnovers
Who does?!
"Be Legendary."

bIGDRAWLS0072

Post by bIGDRAWLS0072 »

The only kind of turnovers I like are Apple but let's figure out a tie breaker fellas...

pickle

Post by pickle »

I prefer having turnovers and have never understood the rationale for taking them off. It's part of the real game of basketball too.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:41 pm
I prefer having turnovers and have never understood the rationale for taking them off. It's part of the real game of basketball too.
I have to agree. It brings balance to the game.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The best players in the league generally have the highest usage and are therefore more likely to commit a turnover. I think it's lame to have a single category that incentivizes low usage players who don't generally impact the game much. Fantasy sports is about having the best players, no?

I also think turnovers are weighted too heavily in a standard setting because all turnovers are treated equally in fantasy basketball while we can all see which turnovers are "worse" than others while watching a game. For example, a dead ball turnover such as an offensive charge or pass out of bounds is often less harmful to a team than a missed three point shot or long rebound. Or consider the last possession of a game when a leading team intentionally commits a shot clock violation. The turnover attributed to the player holding the ball which is completely random and has nothing do with tactical decision making or skill.

I don't think 8 categories is that big of an issue in fantasy basketball because the season is so long that 4-4 weekly ties don't really change anything. That said, my preference is to have 9 categories and this league has always been a democracy, so we'll put it to a vote again once the members have been set.