The GOP / RNC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: The GOP / RNC

Post by Indy »

I can't believe an extremely rich white guy in his 80s is a Trump supporter.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Lol

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:52 pm
Believe me, not every extremely rich white guy in his 80s is a Trump supporter. I’m no less disappointed in Jerry.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:31 pm
Indy wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:52 pm
Believe me, not every extremely rich white guy in his 80s is a Trump supporter. I’m no less disappointed in Jerry.
My reaction was the same as Indy's. Of course not every old rich white guy is a steadfast Republican, but I'm confidently assuming the majority are just that. Toss in Jerry's overt devotion to his Christian faith and this is doesn't even register on my scale of surprise.

If anything, this affirms to me that differing politics doesn't cement someone as my enemy. I wish he'd be more open minded and progressive and he'd probably wish that I'd attend a church service every Sunday. He and I probably have very little in common across a broad spectrum of topics, but I don't think he's a malevolent fascist even if others who I would categorize that way plead for his campaign contributions. Honestly, it's very similar to the relationship I have with my last surviving grandparent who's well beyond 80 years old.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I didn't say I wasn't disappointed.

And to FF's point, I hear what you are saying, but supporting malevolent fascists means you are a malevolent fascist.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It really bums me out the degree to which evangelical Christians have aligned with Trumpism. I don't think Trump at all represents traditional Christian values or character. Faith can do so much good in people's lives and in communities, bringing people together, getting them to help one another and care for each other. That's not what Trump or the GOP are about at all, imo. And yet here we are.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:47 am
It really bums me out the degree to which evangelical Christians have aligned with Trumpism. I don't think Trump at all represents traditional Christian values or character. Faith can do so much good in people's lives and in communities, bringing people together, getting them to help one another and care for each other. That's not what Trump or the GOP are about at all, imo. And yet here we are.
It's all about what they can get out of the partnership and they are VERY happy right now. See Roe v Wade.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep, I know a lot of conservative christians and almost all of them started out not liking trump, but changed their tune when he became the Republican nominee. They often said stuff like I don’t like him as a person, but he’s doing things I like(mostly picking conservative judges and being pro-life). It’s kind of sad how many single-issue voters we have. I think a lot of people really don’t actually pay attention either and are pretty ignorant to what Trump has done. If I had to describe the Republican Party I’d say it’s a vocal minority leading an ignorant populace. Although that can probably apply to the Democrats too…just think the vocal minority in the Republican Party is more radical.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:23 am
Yep, I know a lot of conservative christians and almost all of them started out not liking trump, but changed their tune when he became the Republican nominee. They often said stuff like I don’t like him as a person, but he’s doing things I like(mostly picking conservative judges and being pro-life). It’s kind of sad how many single-issue voters we have. I think a lot of people really don’t actually pay attention either and are pretty ignorant to what Trump has done. If I had to describe the Republican Party I’d say it’s a vocal minority leading an ignorant populace. Although that can probably apply to the Democrats too…just think the vocal minority in the Republican Party is more radical.
I would say there is no leadership on the Democratic side. But I agree with your sentiment.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya that’s fair, the vocal minority on the left hasn’t really caught on with most democrats. As much as far right republicans like to say the democrats are radical left, most democrats in power have always been fairly moderate.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:26 pm
Ugh. Seriously Jerry! Lost all my respect. On top of that ..

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion ... 854135001/

Trump-backed Kari Lake pulls endorsement for Oklahoma candidate over antisemitic commentsI
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... -comments/

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Biden: MAGA Republicans Are A Threat To Our Democracy, Embrace Political Violence
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... lence.html
"The MAGA Republicans don't just threaten our personal rights and economic security," Biden said. "They're a threat to our very democracy. They refuse to accept the will of the people. They embrace -- embrace -- political violence. They don't believe in democracy."

"It's not hyperbole. Now you need to vote to literally save democracy again," Biden said. "Look, I believe America is at a genuine inflection point. It occurs every six or seven generations in world history. One of the moments that changes everything. Americans are going to have to choose. You have to choose. Will we will be a country that moves forward or backward? Will we build a future or obsess over the past? Will we be a nation of hope, of unity, of optimism? Not a nation of anger, hatred, and division."

"Trump and the MAGA Republicans have made their choice - to go backwards, full of anger, violence, hate, and division," he said. "But we have chosen a different path. Forward. The future, unity, hope and optimism. I mean this sincerely. We choose to build a better America."

"What we're seeing now is either the beginning or the death knell of an extreme MAGA philosophy," Biden declared. "It's not just Trump, it's the entire philosophy that underpins the — I’m going to say something — it's like semi-fascism."

"I respect conservative Republicans,” he added. “I don’t respect these MAGA Republicans.”

“Donald Trump isn’t just a former president,” Biden said. “He is a defeated former president!”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I do think it's smart for Biden and the Dems to be more aggressive when talking about the true threat that the GOP represents. I also think it's smart to talk about "MAGA Republicans" vs moderate or conservative Republicans so as to signal that not every single Republican voter is evil. (Though most of them are.) I just think they need to talk about fascism and threats to democracy, because that's what this is. You can't defeat it if you won't even talk about it or name it what it really is. They literally want to ignore the results of elections and put their people in power by force. They want to lock their enemies up in prison and they want to stoke domestic terrorism and violence. Call it out and fight back against it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yes, very happy to hear all that from Biden. Spot on.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Me too!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Uh.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Arizona Supreme Court keeps voting rights measure off ballot

https://apnews.com/article/elections-ar ... 8ddb21c975
“Certain politicians have been intentionally trying to attack the ballot measure process for over a decade to prevent voters from being able to make decisions about Arizona’s future at the ballot box,” the initiative committee said in a statement. “Today’s decision is a continuation of these attacks and reflects an increasingly extreme MAGA agenda.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

GOP leaders warn Arizona Senate candidate Blake Masters to raise more money — or risk losing to Democrat Mark Kelly
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/26/arizona ... lainternal
The latest data from the Federal Election Commission show Masters has raised just over $4 million while the incumbent Kelly has amassed more than $54 million.

A Fox News poll taken in August shows Kelly leading Masters by 8 points, while an Arizona Republican pollster told NBC News that his own surveys showed Masters trailing Kelly by 10 points.