Is KD coming to the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
virtual9mm

Re: Is KD coming to the Suns?

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:28 pm
sorry to be real
I have to admit that I'm a bit turned off by some of the ridiculous takes I'm seeing. For instance, Ayton + 4 draft picks for Siakam? We can debate how good Ayton is ad nauseum, but he's still a 24-year old averaging 18-12 on ridiculous FG% while anchoring an elite defense (that can albeit be neutralized by dragging him out to the perimeter, taking advantage of our lack of a secondary rebounder and shot blocker). And his contract is almost exactly what the nerds say his value is.

Reality and common sense have gone out the window all around, it seems.

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:22 am
Indy wrote:
sorry to be real
I have to admit that I'm a bit turned off by some of the ridiculous takes I'm seeing. For instance, Ayton + 4 draft picks for Siakam? We can debate how good Ayton is ad nauseum, but he's still a 24-year old averaging 18-12 on ridiculous FG% while anchoring an elite defense (that can albeit be neutralized by dragging him out to the perimeter, taking advantage of our lack of a secondary rebounder and shot blocker). And his contract is almost exactly what the nerds say his value is.

Siakam? Do you mean SGA? I haven’t seen anyone wanting to trade Ayton and 4 picks for Siakam

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:28 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Indy wrote:
sorry to be real

Siakam? Do you mean SGA? I haven’t seen anyone wanting to trade Ayton and 4 picks for Siakam
OK -- SGA isn't nearly as crazy for that package but it's still crazy. Maybe a bit more value than Ayton. But not 4 1st rounders' worth.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:12 am
Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:28 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Indy wrote:
sorry to be real

OK -- SGA isn't nearly as crazy for that package but it's still crazy. Maybe a bit more value than Ayton. But not 4 1st rounders' worth.
I was thinking more like Cam J and 2 first round picks and 2 pick swaps

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m not sure why you think that would get you a 23 year old guard who just dropped 25/6/5…That’s like those espn talking heads suggesting the lakers trade Kyle Kuzma for Devin Booker a few years ago

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:07 pm
I’m not sure why you think that would get you a 23 year old guard who just dropped 25/6/5…That’s like those espn talking heads suggesting the lakers trade Kyle Kuzma for Devin Booker a few years ago
Hmmm I don’t know, maybe ask the Spurs and Hawks, but ya go ahead please tell me more!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

21/8/9 at age 25. Traded for 3 first round picks and filler.

But I’m crazy. Lmao.

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:12 pm

But I’m crazy. Lmao.
There also seemed to be some underlying issues there.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:

But I’m crazy. Lmao.
He’s older than SGA, not as good imo, and Atlanta still gave up more than you are wanting to give up for SGA. I like DeJounte, but his numbers were inflated in SA, he’s a 3rd guy, not a 1st or 2nd guy.

Spurs wanted to rebuild and they needed to get rid of a good player preventing that. OKC is rebuilding just fine with SGA on the roster, so they don’t need to trade him. I’d value SGA higher than I’d value Donovan Mitchell.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:23 pm
specialsauce wrote:

But I’m crazy. Lmao.
He’s older than SGA, not as good imo, and Atlanta still gave up more than you are wanting to give up for SGA. I like DeJounte, but his numbers were inflated in SA, he’s a 3rd guy, not a 1st or 2nd guy.

Spurs wanted to rebuild and they needed to get rid of a good player preventing that. OKC is rebuilding just fine with SGA on the roster, so they don’t need to trade him. I’d value SGA higher than I’d value Donovan Mitchell.
Cam is worth less than a first round pick?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:53 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:23 pm
specialsauce wrote:

But I’m crazy. Lmao.

Cam is worth less than a first round pick?
To an OKC team who’s not trying to win and would have to pay him this summer? Yes

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

specialsauce wrote:

But I’m crazy. Lmao.
That's the trade that we SHOULD have made, we should try to get SGA for the kind of package that you mentioned.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would have been ok making that trade for DeJounte. I think he’s a good fit next to Booker as well. I’m lower on him than SGA, but the value would’ve been better for sure. Not sure he’s a great fit with CP3 though

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:30 pm
I would have been ok making that trade for DeJounte. I think he’s a good fit next to Booker as well. I’m lower on him than SGA, but the value would’ve been better for sure. Not sure he’s a great fit with CP3 though
3 guard rotation would have worked.

Along those lines, I'd be more than happy to make a play at SGA with every draft pick the Suns own and every expiring contract if this will really be a lost season for OKC and they want to bottom out with a massive war chest. Suns still need to address PF.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn’t worry defensively as DeJounte is big for a guard and is a fantastic defender, but do you bring him off the bench? He’d fit great with Booker, but he’s not a great off ball player as he can’t really shoot. Who plays on-ball when he shares the court with CP3? You could at least completely stagger their minutes so one was always on. Just think it might not be a smooth fit.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:17 pm
specialsauce wrote:

But I’m crazy. Lmao.
That's the trade that we SHOULD have made, we should try to get SGA for the kind of package that you mentioned.
We’re not lottery bound for years with SGA, Book, Bridges, Cam l, And Ayton. That’s a helluva line up. OKC would be crazy to gift us that trade.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just don't see why OKC would ever trade SGA to us when SGA is by a wide margin more valuable than any asset we could trade them.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:17 pm
I just don't see why OKC would ever trade SGA to us when SGA is by a wide margin more valuable than any asset we could trade them.
Ya I don’t think they would either, but if SGA got fed up playing for a team perpetually building for the future, he might ask out. It’s possible they see Giddey/Chet as more of their future and SGA doesn’t quite line up with that. I think they should start making their all-in plays, but it didn’t seem like they wanted to and now that Chet is out for the year, I think they’ll play at least 1 more year for a high pick.

He’s signed for 4 years though so I think even if he asks out, OKC would probably just wait it out 1 more year and tell him they’ll start competing next year and hope he buys in.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

So are we going into building up scenarios from the "fed up, only want to play on Phoenix" premise?

A bit lazy, it negates the necessity of surrender same value and specially, it will takes us to fantasy land too often.

What's next?, what if Giannis got fed up with the Bucks?

SGA is the kind of building block teams are looking for when they bet on draft and trading for picks. OKC would be insane to let him go for more draft picks only, specially late ones.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:56 am
So are we going into building up scenarios from the "fed up, only want to play on Phoenix" premise?

A bit lazy, it negates the necessity of surrender same value and specially, it will takes us to fantasy land too often.

What's next?, what if Giannis got fed up with the Bucks?

SGA is the kind of building block teams are looking for when they bet on draft and trading for picks. OKC would be insane to let him go for more draft picks only, specially late ones.
Free agency doesn't really exist anymore, unless you are willing to pay $100M in just taxes. The new FA is trading your future for the present.