World Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: World Politics

Post by Nodack »

The really effed up thing is even though Trump has committed multiple crimes, conned his supporters out of hundreds of millions of dollars and is a total traitor to his country, he will probably be re-elected.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Religious people LOVE fascists. As long as they are their kind of fascists.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

‘You’re A F*cking Plague’: Mexico City Residents Want Americans To Leave
https://dailycaller.com/2022/07/27/mexi ... s-tourism/
“We’re just seeing Americans flooding in. It’s people who maybe have their own business, or maybe they’re thinking of starting some consulting or freelance work. They don’t even know how long they’re going to stay. They’re completely picking up their entire lives and just moving down here,” The head of Welcome Home Mexico, an organization that helps with relocation, Alexandra Demou said, adding that she gets 50 calls a week from people considering making the move, the LA Times reported.

Posters reading “New to the city? Working remotely? You’re a f—ing plague and the locals f—ing hate you. Leave.” were also recently posted around the city, the LA Times reported.

The average local salary is $450 a month and $2,000 can afford someone a penthouse in Mexico City, according to the LA Times.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Why vote "no" on this? NATO expansion is a very good thing.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

China’s dim prospects turn disastrous
https://thehill.com/opinion/internation ... -disaster/
“China’s debt bomb looks ready to explode and many warning signs suggest that a debt reckoning is imminent,” warns Nikkei Asia.

Essentially, China is a debt disaster in terms of foreign and domestic borrowing. At the same time, a cloud hangs over President Xi Jinping because of his diplomatic (albeit not military) support for Russian President Vladimir Putin’s genocide in Ukraine and energy attacks against
Europe.

It’s not implausible that, if this unfolding political crisis in the streets grows, China’s presidency may change or, worse, the Middle Kingdom may become unstable.

A Wall Street Journal op-ed headlined “Xi Tries to Ride a Real-Estate Tiger, and We All May Get Mauled” concluded that this “places the entire Chinese economic miracle model at risk” and cautions that “global financial markets, central banks and democratic leaders should brace for turbulence.”

China’s immediate past has been truly impressive. It has lifted itself out of abject poverty. But given Xi’s economic mismanagement, combined with his loyalty to Putin, who is the sworn enemy of all his Western customers, China’s future looks not only dim but potentially disastrous.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Apparent assassination attempt against VP roils Argentina
https://apnews.com/article/caribbean-bu ... 0fbbf72065
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — As Argentina’s powerful Vice President Cristina Fernández stepped from her car outside her apartment building and began shaking hands with a throng of well-wishers, a man pushed forward with a gun, pointed it just inches from her face and pulled the trigger with a distinct click.

The loaded weapon evidently jammed.

Fernández’s security detail seized the gunman and took him away, and the 69-year-old former president of Argentina was unhurt. But the apparent assassination attempt against the deeply divisive figure Thursday night shook Argentina — a country with a history of political violence — and worsened tensions in the sharply divided nation.

Some condemned the political opposition, saying its verbal attacks against the vice president motivated the gunman. Several political leaders similarly accused opposition politicians and media outlets of fomenting violence.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Turkish pop singer indicted for inciting hatred
https://apnews.com/article/entertainmen ... 8e42dcb4a8
ISTANBUL (AP) — A Turkish pop-singer could face up to three years in prison after she was indicted Friday for “inciting hatred and enmity” over a joke she made about religious schools in the country.

Turkey’s penal code criminalizes incitement of hatred and enmity against different groups in society based on class, race, religion or sect, requiring a prison sentence in cases that lead to threats against public safety.

In her statement to the police included in the indictment, Gulsen said she had joked with a band-member whose nickname was “imam” but who had not attended the school. “I never said this to insult or denigrate students of Imam Hatips or a segment of our country. My respect for all values and sensitivities of the country is eternal,” she said and denied the charges.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Echoing Trump, Brazil's president prepares for election loss by declaring vote rigged
https://www.aol.com/news/echoing-trump- ... 46275.html

Indy

Post by Indy »

The queen of England is dead. Hopefully the next monarch will be less awful to the world than she was.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Was she awful to the world?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Go ask the Irish. Or the Indians. Or half of Africa. Or a huge chunk of China...

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wasn’t making a statement, I’m very ignorant to what role she’s played at all. I thought the queen was essentially just a figurehead that had no actual power. But I don’t know when that became a reality, she is very old.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

“The Queen is a constitutional monarch - while she is the UK head of state, her powers are symbolic and ceremonial, and she remains politically neutral.”

I always thought this. If she is the blame for all that then isn’t all of UK just as responsible? And by all that I mean I haven’t followed England’s history that much. I am not up on all their atrocities. I know they have controlled a lot of places as territories throughout history including the US at times and have made a lot of enemies. We have been their closest ally for a long time. If their atrocities are that bad why are we still friends?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:40 pm
“The Queen is a constitutional monarch - while she is the UK head of state, her powers are symbolic and ceremonial, and she remains politically neutral.”

I always thought this. If she is the blame for all that then isn’t all of UK just as responsible? And by all that I mean I haven’t followed England’s history that much. I am not up on all their atrocities. I know they have controlled a lot of places as territories throughout history including the US at times and have made a lot of enemies. We have been their closest ally for a long time. If their atrocities are that bad why are we still friends?
Is that a real question? Our country has never cared about atrocities committed against people of color. I mean, look what we did to take this land. Or the slave trade. Or what we have done to the middle east. Or what we have done on the asian continent.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:34 pm
I wasn’t making a statement, I’m very ignorant to what role she’s played at all. I thought the queen was essentially just a figurehead that had no actual power. But I don’t know when that became a reality, she is very old.
She has been the queen of england for 30% of America's entire history. As for her powers (from wikipedia):
The royal prerogative includes the powers to appoint and dismiss ministers, regulate the civil service, issue passports, declare war, make peace, direct the actions of the military, and negotiate and ratify treaties, alliances, and international agreements.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:The queen of England is dead. Hopefully the next monarch will be less awful to the world than she was.
Lol you idiot.

Indy

Post by Indy »

There is a reason that brown people the world over (and Irish) are celebrating instead of mourning.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Like some people support trump I guess … Britain is hardly perfect, but a bygone era is a bygone era and, last I checked, Britain saved the free world by keeping the Germans at bay - at the cost of their empire no less.

It took me a while to realise what a wrong’un lefty you are, but your comment above requires no further explanation.

You idiot.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I am sure the british empire was right and the billions of people across the world at their mercy were wrong. But I am the idiot here...

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Yes, you are.