World Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: World Politics

Post by Indy »

lol you are showing your bias again

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It is so dumb that England still has a monarchy. The Queen dying should be about as newsworthy as if, say, some person who was on the Bachelor tv show died. I am sorry to hear that she died and my condolences to her family, but why do they still support this system where some family of rich weirdos is all over their tabloids and news channels? It's just silly.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s tradition.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:41 pm
Nodack wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:40 pm
“The Queen is a constitutional monarch - while she is the UK head of state, her powers are symbolic and ceremonial, and she remains politically neutral.”

I always thought this. If she is the blame for all that then isn’t all of UK just as responsible? And by all that I mean I haven’t followed England’s history that much. I am not up on all their atrocities. I know they have controlled a lot of places as territories throughout history including the US at times and have made a lot of enemies. We have been their closest ally for a long time. If their atrocities are that bad why are we still friends?
Is that a real question? Our country has never cared about atrocities committed against people of color. I mean, look what we did to take this land. Or the slave trade. Or what we have done to the middle east. Or what we have done on the asian continent.
But yeah let’s keep supporting our defense spending and foreign relations donations I mean “aid” as some moral police against the rest of the world instead of diverting that dirty money to our home country and the people. Let’s just tax the shit out of the people that make this country function..

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t know anything about all the dirty money parts of the UK and US’s relations you are talking about. We have been Allie’s with the UK since before I was born. We are their offspring sort of.

The world plays Game Of Thrones for real. World wars are very bad. Millions die and countries are destroyed along with cultures.I believe our military spending has kept WWIII from happening. Just like Game of Thrones, having Allies is a prerequisite for surviving.

Yes we need to spend more on home. All I ask is we all pay a fair share and those with more pay more because they can afford to pay more. Tax the shit out of those who make the country function? Which people are those? The guys who make the most money? The CEO of the hospital makes more than a doctor. He must be the guy who contributes the the most to a functioning country at that hospital. The guy who delivers the meals to the patients or empties the trash doesn’t contribute at all. Their salaries are too low and they didn’t go to college. Total losers.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought Indy might enjoy this account of the Queen's death.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I see no lies.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Moon has become the new frontier that the world powers are already beginning to fight over.

China has returned helium-3 from the moon, opening door to future technology
https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/ ... echnology/
The Chinese Chang’e 5 mission has returned a new mineral from the lunar surface. Chinese scientists call the mineral “Changesite-(Y).” The mineral has been described by the state-operated news agency Xinhau as a “kind-of colorless transparent columnar crystal.” Also, the Chinese claim that the new mineral contains helium-3, an isotope that many scientists have touted as a potential fuel for future fusion reactors.

The crystal mineral was exceedingly tiny, about one-tenth the size of a human hair. The new mineral is of immense interest to lunar geologists. The helium-3 that it contains has the potential to change the world. The main advantage of helium-3 fusion over fusion using tritium and deuterium, isotopes of hydrogen, is that it doesn’t create radioactive neutrons.

According to NASA, China is preparing to mount the next phase of its lunar exploration program that will lead to a “research base” at the south pole of the moon. China, perhaps in partnership with Russia, still plans crewed lunar landings sometime in the 2030s.

China’s return of helium-3 suggests that the moon could become the Persian Gulf of the mid to late 21st century. Clean and abundant fusion energy would change the world in ways that can barely be evaluated.
Of course, the problem remains of getting the technology of helium-3 fusion working. Helium-3 fusion may not become a reality before the middle of this century because of the technological obstacles involved. Some changes in American space and energy policy might hasten the advent of helium-3 fusion, however.

The United States should start testing mining operations on the moon’s surface, particularly extracting helium-3 from lunar soil. Then helium-3 could be transported to Earth and provided to research laboratories so they can continue research and development of what promises to be a solution to both energy scarcity and climate change.

The country that controls the source of energy that keeps technological civilization running will control the Earth. If China becomes that country, considering its human rights record and imperial foreign policy, history will take a dark turn. Therefore, the United States and the countries that have signed the Artemis Accords must acquire control of lunar helium-3 and develop the technology to use it as a source of fusion energy. Thus, the Artemis program will ensure the continuance of prosperity and human freedom on the Earth.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

‘Our world is in peril’: At UN, leaders push for solutions
https://apnews.com/article/united-natio ... 1dc6799eeb
“We are gridlocked in colossal global dysfunction,” Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said, adding that “our world is in peril — and paralyzed.”

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Bad news. Gas prices are about to go back up.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/04/politics ... index.html
Members of the Saudi-led oil cartel and its allies including Russia, known as OPEC+, are expected to announce production cuts potentially up to more than one million barrels per day. That would be the largest cut since the beginning of the pandemic and could lead to a dramatic spike in oil prices.

Some of the draft talking points circulated by the White House to the Treasury Department on Monday that were obtained by CNN framed the prospect of a production cut as a “total disaster” and warned that it could be taken as a “hostile act.”

Definitely hostile. We keep kissing the Saudi’s asses and supply them with weapons and still they side with Russia and deliberately cut output deliberately just to screw the West and to help Russia. If this isn’t enough for the world to want to escape it’s total reliance on fossil fuels and be at the mercy of OPEC+ I don’t know what is.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So I guess Biden's trip to kiss up to the Saudis and fist-bump their murderous dictators did not magically save gas prices forever and ever.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nothing is forever and ever…

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In Rebuke to West, OPEC and Russia Aim to Raise Oil Prices With Big Supply Cut
https://dnyuz.com/2022/10/05/in-rebuke- ... upply-cut/
“This is completely not what the White House wants, and it is exactly what Russia wants,” said Bill Farren-Price, head of macro oil and gas at Enverus, a research firm. It also puts Saudi Arabia on a diplomatic “collision course” with the United States, he said.

Russia and Saudi Arabia agree to massive cuts to oil output. Here's why it matters

The White House called the decision "shortsighted" and said in a statement the administration would "deliver another 10 million barrels from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to the market next month, continuing the historic releases the President ordered in March."

The move is seen as a bid by Saudi Arabia to prop up prices, which had reached up to $120 a barrel during the spring but began to tail off over concerns about a slowing global economy. They fell to less than $90 a barrel in September.

"OPEC is trying to shock and awe with a big production cut number that is going to get people's attention," he says. "And they're trying to support prices to keep them from falling further."

The move could be seen as a rebuke to President Biden, who traveled to Saudi Arabia during the summer to appeal for production increases. This was despite Biden's comments in the past that he considered the kingdom a pariah state. He also publicly blamed Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for his involvement in the death of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul in 2018.

Elguindi says it's interesting to note that the Russians — until now — have never asked for production cuts.

"And about a week ago, they effectively came and asked OPEC to cut production by a million barrels a day," he says.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The timing of this is interesting too. Timed to have maximum impact right around the mid terms. Perhaps the Saudi’s and Putin would prefer a different US President. One who is a little more sympathetic to their cause.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Democrats excoriate Saudis over OPEC+ decision
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... -decision/
“It’s clear that OPEC+ is aligning with Russia with today’s announcement,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters hours after the announcement.

“I thought the whole point of selling arms to the Gulf States despite their human rights abuses, nonsensical Yemen War, working against US interests in Libya, Sudan etc, was that when an international crisis came, the Gulf could choose America over Russia/China,” Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), who sits on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, tweeted Wednesday morning.
Murphy further excoriated the decision in an interview with CNBC Wednesday from the Warsaw Security Forum in Poland, calling for a “full-scale re-evaluation” of the U.S.-Saudi alliance.

Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.), a frequent critic of both foreign energy dependence and Riyadh’s human rights record in general, went further, telling CNN the Saudis are “actively fleecing the American people and destabilizing the economy.”
“The Saudis need to be dealt with harshly. They are a third-rate power. We are the most powerful country in the world. I don’t know why we kowtow to them,” Khanna told the network.

He went on to call on the U.S. to retaliate by barring major defense contractors like Boeing and Raytheon from sales to the Saudis.

“The president needs to make it clear we will cut off their supply. We could ground their air force in a day,” Khanna said.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow, the British Prime Minister, Liz Truss, is resigning. I knew she was struggling but wasn't following the story closely.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think every economy around the globe suffering right now. The leadership of every country is getting blamed and it seems the vast majority of people around the globe don’t realize this is a global issue and just blame the local leaders.

Vote for Masters and Lake to lower inflation and gas prices. At least that’s what they are saying. Masters and Lake will get elected and just flip a switch and we will have lower prices.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Arizona is becoming bluer and purpler as a state, and yet its government is descending into being almost totally controlled by right-wing extremists. It is falling into that abyss with states like Florida and Ohio that used to be truly purple but are becoming lost to the Dems as kooks take over.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:30 am
Vote for Masters and Lake to lower inflation and gas prices. At least that’s what they are saying. Masters and Lake will get elected and just flip a switch and we will have lower prices.
The governor has nothing to do with gas prices. A more fossil fuel-friendly, Putin-friendly, MBS-friendly Congress might actually reduce gas prices a little, but that would do a hell of a lot more harm than good in the long run.