Russia/Ukraine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Russia/Ukraine

Post by Indy »

"Russian lines" =/= "Russian border"

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Gotcha, thanks. I do hope one long-term outcome of this war is that Ukraine is able to reclaim Crimea and drive Russia out of there. It belongs to Ukraine and it should be theirs.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It seems like Ukraine is on a big push lately, retaking a whole bunch of its occupied territory, including the major city of Izyum. That's great news. GTFO, Russia!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Russia shot their wad and failed to conquer Ukraine. They are low on troops, weaponry and munitions while Ukraine has been bolstered by the West. Russia is trying to retool and is asking for help from their few allies. They asked Kazakhstan for aid they turned them down. They asked China and North Korea for help and I am not sure of those results.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This isn't about the RUS/UKR war, but, it's about John Durham who Trump asked to investigate the Trump/Russia ties and "Russiagate." In other words, he was looking for evidence that Russiagate was made up to hurt Trump. It looks like he found a big nothing burger. Womp womp.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nuclear war between the U.S. and Russia would cause 5 billion people to die — of hunger
https://studyfinds.org/nuclear-war-bill ... of-hunger/
A nuclear war between the United States and Russia would cause a global famine, wiping out almost two-thirds of the world’s population, according to new research.

Under the largest war scenario, more than 75 percent of the planet would be starving within two years.

Earlier this year, another study found a nuclear war between the U.S. and Russia would also trigger a “Little Ice Age” lasting thousands of years. In the first month following detonation, average global temperatures would plunge by about 13 degrees Fahrenheit, more than during the most recent Ice Age.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

One of the problems of globalization is that parts for military weapons come from different countries and in times of war parts can be hard to come by, especially when they come from your enemies. Russia has been forced to come up with home grown non sanctioned parts to replace broken components on their weapons. That has been a major pain for them. The US has tried to avoid that with limited success by getting all their parts from American manufacturers.

https://breakingdefense.com/2022/09/f-3 ... n-magnets/
WASHINGTON — The Pentagon has temporarily stopped accepting deliveries of the Lockheed Martin-made F-35 after it found that an alloy used in magnets on the jet’s turbomachine pumps was produced in China..

It has become increasingly clear that China has become a clear adversary with their backing of Russia and the increased military spending and bravado towards Taiwan and other areas/countries.

Biden to sign order blocking Chinese investment in US tech
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/3 ... n-us-tech/

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The war isn’t going well for Russia. They have lost a lot of men, hardware and Ukraine has just retaken a lot of land Russia conquered forcing Russia to fall back and regroup. Now Russia has decided to annex the land Ukraine hasn’t retaken yet with a total sham vote. After the vote that will of course pass, Russia will claim that land as Russia and any attacks on that land will supposedly be taken as an attack on Russia itself and supposedly trigger their doctrine that allows nuclear weapon use. It’s clearly a desperate move. To shore up the war that Russia still hasn’t declared a war yet, Russia is mobilizing more troops and calling up reservists and retired military personnel to bolster his failing army causing panic in Russia. Flights out of Russia are jammed with Russians escaping being conscripted into Putins army.

Russians rush for flights out amid partial reservist call-up
https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... 501a2a8f32
Flights filled up quickly and the prices of tickets for remaining connections sky-rocketed, apparently driven by fears that Russia’s borders could soon close or of a broader call-up that might send many Russian men of fighting age to the war’s front lines.

The price for flights from Moscow to Istanbul or Dubai increased within minutes before jumping again, reaching as high as 9,200 euros ($9,119) for a one-way economy class fare.

Some postings alleged people already had been turned back from Russia’s land border with Georgia and that the website of the state Russian railway company collapsed because too many people were checking for ways out of the country.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL, of course. Putin is exempting kids from rich Russian private schools from his immensely unpopular military draft.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You can't have rich pawns. Come on now.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Looks like the bridge from Russia to Crimea just got blown up.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Ukrainians are making Putin and the Russian army look like total incompetent buffoons.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/16 ... st-news-vn
Kremlin propagandist Vladimir Solovyov was confronted with the devastating reality for the Russian military in Ukraine during a state TV show. State Duma Defense Committee's head and former army general Andrey Kartapolov said Russia had run out of enough munitions to fight the war on all fronts. Following the honest assessment, the mouthpiece of Vladimir Putin was left asking: "How are we supposed to win?"

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How are you supposed to win? A war that never should have been started? By ending it, idiot! Stop fighting.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

There is no way Putin could just end the war and pull back at this time and survive as President. I can’t see that happening. He has to win or he goes down in flames. The scenario I see happening is a coup.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:01 pm
The scenario I see happening is a coup.
Who’s going to pull off a coup and how?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t have a lot of practice pulling off coups. I would assume a group of Oligarchs and military in Russia would plot it out. I could have sworn someone already tried to assassinate Putin. I would say ask Trump but he failed at his last one too.

Putin survived an assassination attempt after he invaded, Ukrainian intelligence official says
https://news.yahoo.com/putin-survived-a ... 17737.html

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:49 am
The Ukrainians are making Putin and the Russian army look like total incompetent buffoons.
Knowing Putin, he won't tolerate it much longer and may pull out the nukes.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Putin was angry over the attack on his bridge. He called it a terrorist attack and retaliated today by blowing up a bunch of Ukrainian civilians and infrastructure. That’s not terrorism to Putin because the Ukrainians are all Nazi’s….

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump today came out and blamed the US again for the war in Ukraine. I am surprised he hasn’t started a Russian fundraising campaign to help Russia buy more missiles to fire at Ukrainian civilians.