Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by JeremyG »

Gladiator wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:54 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:18 pm
Sarver's / the org's statement is shitty and not sufficiently contrite.

Bit of this vibe to it, wasn’t there?

Considering the Suns' statement ended with... "our organization will continue to build a best-in-class workplace." ... it doesn't seem very apologetic. In fact, the team's statement is completely devoid of any apology of any kind (unlike Silver's statement and even Sarver's statement).

Is nobody going to make a big deal out of that??

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by JeremyG »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:44 pm
Fitz is still cool with Sarver right?
Since he literally threw his girlfriend across the living room, I would expect so.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Whatever happened to Sarver's wife threatening/intimidating witnesses? That just got swept under the rug?

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:38 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Since he literally threw his girlfriend across the living room, I would expect so.
Huh?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:44 am
JeremyG wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
Huh?
It happened in 2008, during the Cardinals' Super Bowl season, but most of us never heard about it because it was swept under the rug back then because nobody wanted to talk about domestic violence back then:
Angela Nazario claims she brought the couple's son to visit Larry at his Phoenix home last October when the former lovers began arguing.

[...] She claims he "grabbed me by my hair with both hands on the back of my head very very hard and tossed me across the room."

Later, when she tried to leave with her son, Nazario says Fitzgerald "grabbed the back of my neck and slammed me down on the marble floor ... [ I] was disoriented for awhile and could not get up, I remember he mumbled something about 'that's what happens when you try taking my son away from me.'" As she got in the car to leave she realized she had lost "chunks" of hair.

https://www.tmz.com/2008/12/31/nfl-supe ... -beatdown/

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:48 am
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
Huh?
It happened in 2008, during the Cardinals' Super Bowl season, but most of us never heard about it because it was swept under the rug back then because nobody wanted to talk about domestic violence back then:
Angela Nazario claims she brought the couple's son to visit Larry at his Phoenix home last October when the former lovers began arguing.

[...] She claims he "grabbed me by my hair with both hands on the back of my head very very hard and tossed me across the room."

Later, when she tried to leave with her son, Nazario says Fitzgerald "grabbed the back of my neck and slammed me down on the marble floor ... [ I] was disoriented for awhile and could not get up, I remember he mumbled something about 'that's what happens when you try taking my son away from me.'" As she got in the car to leave she realized she had lost "chunks" of hair.

🤢😵‍💫🤮
We live in a culture where we accept violence towards women. There’s an invisible line somewhere drawn in public opinion where we tolerate it and settle into the ambiguity of circumstances.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:14 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
Huh?

🤢😵‍💫🤮
We live in a culture where we accept violence towards women. There’s an invisible line somewhere drawn in public opinion where we tolerate it and settle into the ambiguity of circumstances.
He's rich, it's fine. Teachable moment even.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Adam Silver on NBATv right now discussing the Sarver situation.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

If you can’t answer this question better perhaps you’re not fit to lead the NBA. NBA Cares.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

TOO wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:58 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Huh?

🤢😵‍💫🤮
What’s your horse’s name?

Split T

Post by Split T »

He didn’t say it very well, but I think we all realize that owners are going to have more leeway than employees. They just don’t really have anyone above them enforcing anything.

What I come back to is that the other owners didn’t want to oust Sarver. They are the ones who should be taking the brunt of the criticism right now. Silver is just a middleman without much power here.

Though it does bug me that he’s using information not available to the public, or however he phrased it, to defend Sarver. Feels like a cop out. Hopefully the other minority owners can find a way to get him out.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Wait...this is ongoing? Meaning, as of today?
A fifth incident reflected an institutional failure. Specifically, in 2019, a
representative of a team sponsor made unwanted advances toward a female Suns
employee and grabbed her buttocks during a work trip. Two team executives were
nearby when the incident occurred, and the female employee reported the touching
to at least one of these executives. The incident was also reported
contemporaneously, at least in part, to another senior team executive and,
approximately one month later, to three additional senior team executives. No action
was taken against the sponsor representative, who has continued in that role to date.
As a result, the female employee has been required to continue working at events
where the sponsor representative is present

https://www.wlrk.com/wp-content/uploads ... Report.pdf

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Adam Silver is a shield for the team owners, and they aren't inclined to forcibly make Sarver sell his stake in the team because they wouldn't want the same thing to happen to them.

Also, if I owned a team, why would I want to kick out one of my most incompetent and frugal competitors?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Hey Hey! Just popped in to say fuck Sarver and this punishment is a joke. 10 million is a drop in the hat to a rich old dirt bag like Bob. Plus now he gets to appoint who takes his place? Wack. I'm sure he'll learn his lesson though with this slap on the wrist as most rich old racists do. :roll: Lost a lot of respect for Adam Silver after this. Dude's a fucking coward.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T

Post by Split T »

If we sucked, I honestly think he might have. If we win this year, he might sell as well. He’ll claim he won Phoenix a title and get out on top.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:26 pm

If we sucked, I honestly think he might have. If we win this year, he might sell as well. He’ll claim he won Phoenix a title and get out on top.
Or it’ll be like that scene in Wolf of Wall Street where he’ll obstinately double down and stick around to show he wasn’t beaten (minus anyone actually cheering for that, of course).

TOO

Post by TOO »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:08 pm
TOO wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

Huh?

🤢😵‍💫🤮
What’s your horse’s name?
Dead.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

TOO wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
🤢😵‍💫🤮
Hey, I know you disagree with me on some details of the Sarver punishment and are getting a kick out of that "teachable moment" phrasing. But I don't think your usage here is fair. I am not at all okay with domestic violence or any kind of violence toward women.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »