Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:12 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:05 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:52 pm
Keep your pants on. Everyone is jumping on the free PR goodwill right now. Lets see what the mood is like in 8 months.
8 months?! I sure hope it doesn’t take that long to play out. I was watching CNN tonight and even they were talking about it. The woman they interviewed thinks he’ll be gone soon after PayPal, Chris Paul, LeBron James, and the PA spoke out already.
What does Sarver have to lose by waiting out the worst part of the storm?
Seriously? The team could be devalued every minute he stays on. Plus, he might not have the choice to wait it out. Maybe our players refuse to play until he leaves. More advertisers walk away. The possibilities are endless.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by JeremyG »

Absolutely. He may have nothing to come back to pretty soon.

But it will only take a few sponsors dropping for the minority owners to remove him as managing partner.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't see it being so easy. My comment about '8 months' was an attempt to say that we're in the midst of the biggest wave and savvy business people don't make critical decisions in these moments. For example, PayPal's sponsorship expires after the 2022-23 season, so there's at least 10 months for this tsunami to diminish into a wake.

I also disagree that his return on a potential sale of his stake in the franchise will diminish. I believe it's at its lowest right now with all the negative press, so he'd be wiser to lay low and gradually work out a sale over several months. That's if he's even willing to sell at all, of course.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I don’t think Sarver is selling any time soon, the minority owners would have to force him out if it’s gonna happen before his suspension is up. I assume most sponsors will follow suit with PayPal and remove their sponsorship after this season if Sarver is still around. I hope the minority owners force him out before then, but seeing as how a lot of them seem to be Sarver supporters, I don’t have a lot of high hopes for that. They’ll probably wait until the sponsors actually start dropping next year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Guessing that 1-2 more sponsors will come out and say that they'll stop sponsoring the team if Sarver stays, just like PayPal did. And that'll be enough. Sarver is stubborn and proud but he isn't willing to just sit and watch his investment lose hundreds of millions in value.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:26 am
Guessing that 1-2 more sponsors will come out and say that they'll stop sponsoring the team if Sarver stays, just like PayPal did. And that'll be enough. Sarver is stubborn and proud but he isn't willing to just sit and watch his investment lose hundreds of millions in value.
He just might do that because he still thinks he's done nothing wrong.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Do we have clarity yet on what exactly the process would be to oust Sarver by the other co-owners? Do they have to unanimously vote to remove him?

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:17 am
Do we have clarity yet on what exactly the process would be to oust Sarver by the other co-owners? Do they have to unanimously vote to remove him?

Players sitting out, sponsors leaving, fans boycotting, Sarver running out of town crying, that’s the infallible process, why worried about contractual stuff?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:52 am
Mori Chu wrote:

Players sitting out, sponsors leaving, fans boycotting, Sarver running out of town crying, that’s the infallible process, why worried about contractual stuff?
Well that’s what gets the other owners to boot him, but there’s still a process of actually removing him that has to happen.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:06 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Well that’s what gets the other owners to boot him, but there’s still a process of actually removing him that has to happen.
Oh, I was aiming for sarcasm, given this is the first time someone ask for the actual process to oust Sarver, while the vast majority are jus grabbing forks and torches. :lol:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Haha, my bad

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:11 am
Split T wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Oh, I was aiming for sarcasm, given this is the first time someone ask for the actual process to oust Sarver, while the vast majority are jus grabbing forks and torches. :lol:
I have a spoon too.
"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:24 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:11 am
Split T wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

I have a spoon too.
Whatever it takes!!!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:19 pm
TOO wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:58 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:14 am
🤢😵‍💫🤮
We live in a culture where we accept violence towards women. There’s an invisible line somewhere drawn in public opinion where we tolerate it and settle into the ambiguity of circumstances.
He's rich, it's fine. Teachable moment even.
Hey, I know you disagree with me on some details of the Sarver punishment and are getting a kick out of that "teachable moment" phrasing. But I don't think your usage here is fair. I am not at all okay with domestic violence or any kind of violence toward women.
But you don't think someone should lose their job for sexual harassment and sexual assault? Or even just using his position over people to do weird sexual shit?

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:47 pm
TOO wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:52 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:08 pm
TOO wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:58 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:14 am

🤢😵‍💫🤮
We live in a culture where we accept violence towards women. There’s an invisible line somewhere drawn in public opinion where we tolerate it and settle into the ambiguity of circumstances.
He's rich, it's fine. Teachable moment even.
What’s your horse’s name?
Dead.
Just seems kinda high to me.
It is a high horse to say we should throw out all abusers? Wow...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:54 am
I'm still mad at Jerry Colangelo for not vetting Sarver better! He transitioned us to this POS.
Have you seen what Jerry is up to lately?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:39 pm
Yeah, like that's going to do anything.
Phoenix owns the arena... they lease it to the Suns. They might be able to make that difficult if Sarver is around.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShadowHawke wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:26 pm
I agree with the letter. I do have questions.

Not sure how long he has had a stake in the Suns, seems at least 6 years or so, but were you so uninvolved, you had no idea about Sarver's behavior?

No one mentioned anything to you as the second largest stakeholder?
There are a lot of rumors that he has been seeing it and is the one that started to get these stories out there and get this investigation going.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:56 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:54 am
I'm still mad at Jerry Colangelo for not vetting Sarver better! He transitioned us to this POS.
Have you seen what Jerry is up to lately?
Profoundly disappointing but perhaps it's better to keep it in the politics thread.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:56 am
ShadowHawke wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:26 pm
I agree with the letter. I do have questions.

Not sure how long he has had a stake in the Suns, seems at least 6 years or so, but were you so uninvolved, you had no idea about Sarver's behavior?

No one mentioned anything to you as the second largest stakeholder?
There are a lot of rumors that he has been seeing it and is the one that started to get these stories out there and get this investigation going.
I think I like him a lot better than the other asshats.