Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Post by specialsauce »

Wtf is this loser even talking about. He misses losing basketball?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:33 pm
Wtf is this loser even talking about. He misses losing basketball?
Wait, that doesn’t sound like tears. I’m confused. I may have totally misread you in the past. :D
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Good info here...Suns operating business as usual, still willing to spend, shopping Jae, could get involved in talks for Bojan, still in talks with CamJ about an extension.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Not exactly breaking news, Windy. Anyone with a Twitter account could’ve put that puzzle together.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:08 pm
Good info here...Suns operating business as usual, still willing to spend, shopping Jae, could get involved in talks for Bojan, still in talks with CamJ about an extension.

Getting Someone good for Jae would be excellent! I’m sort of excited to see how Cam Johnson comes along this season woth Bridges. I imagine we will see more breakouts from him with the ball in his hands.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was going to say we should trade Crowder to Utah for Bogdanovic. But Bojan makes around $19.5m, almost twice what Jae makes. Oof. They'd probably want us to pay them a pick for the trouble, too, despite the fact that Boj has only 1 year left on his contract. Something tells me the asking price on Utah's remaining spare parts may be a bit too high. You could instead target Clarkson, who makes only $13m, but then you'd probably want Utah to take one of our other pieces like Payne to make the salaries work.

I wonder whether the best move might be to just mend fences with Crowder and try to move forward together. If KD and the Nets can do it, we can do it with Jae.

Split T

Post by Split T »

How much(in addition to Jae) would you give up if it brought us Bojan and Max Strus? Does something like this work:

Jae + contract(s) to Miami
Duncan Robinson and 2 1sts to Utah(1 from us, 1 from Miami)
Bojan and Strus to Phoenix.

Not sure Miami would do it. I’d also do it if Miami gave up both 1sts and keeps Strus.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:46 am
How much(in addition to Jae) would you give up if it brought us Bojan and Max Strus? Does something like this work:

Jae + contract(s) to Miami
Duncan Robinson and 2 1sts to Utah(1 from us, 1 from Miami)
Bojan and Strus to Phoenix.

Not sure Miami would do it. I’d also do it if Miami gave up both 1sts and keeps Strus.
Yeah, I don't know. Personally, that would put me under a lot of Strus.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I just wouldn't be so quick to trade Jae. He's a huge part of winning and we'd miss his toughness and shotmaking. I don't think you can replace what he does with just Bojan and CamJ. We'll see very quickly how we miss his defense and physicality, even if we're that much more versatile on offense. I don't know that Ish or Craig can replace what he does either and we'd be thin at PF, unless there'd be another move down the line.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya we’d definitely be trading defense for offense, but I’d lean towards almost always doing that. We keep the foundation of our defense intact with Mikal/Ayton and I believe defense can be compensated for with system and we seem to have a decent system…as long as we aren’t playing a 5-out team with Luka at the helm.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He clearly doesn't want to be here. I am assuming that all came out when it was made clear to him that Cam will be starting and/or that his name was in the market for a trade (the KD one, or the Barnes one rumored).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Bogdanovic, I just worry that Bojan would be a rental. We probably wouldn't want or be able to re-sign him for $20m/year or more, would we? So he'd go out on the market and get a big contract somewhere else. And then we gave up Jae and maybe a 1st for a year of Bojan.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:10 am
I like Bogdanovic, I just worry that Bojan would be a rental. We probably wouldn't want or be able to re-sign him for $20m/year or more, would we? So he'd go out on the market and get a big contract somewhere else. And then we gave up Jae and maybe a 1st for a year of Bojan.
Jae and Bojan both expire at the same time. So the question is, is Jae + a first > Bojan for this year.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I'm probably in the minority, but I think Duncan Robinson is a good player who is just not a fit right now for his current team. If I HAD to trade Jae for either Bojan or Robinson, I think I'd take Robinson.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He ended up being unplayable in Miami. That worries me quite a bit. Bojan has been a consistently good player for 7 years now.

carey

Post by carey »

Robinson can't guard a lick. Like he's so bad on defense Miami had to bench him. If we're operating as a championship team (whatever the hell that means) then James Jones is probably out on Robinson. Especially if you consider he still has a lot of friends on that Heat staff.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:28 pm
He ended up being unplayable in Miami. That worries me quite a bit. Bojan has been a consistently good player for 7 years now.
How can you be a good player but the Miami Heat can't find a role for you?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Robinson has one elite skill and is lacking everywhere else. If he slumps and that elite skill becomes ordinary, he’s unplayable. I don’t think he’s what we need.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:58 pm
Robinson has one elite skill and is lacking everywhere else. If he slumps and that elite skill becomes ordinary, he’s unplayable. I don’t think he’s what we need.
We need fewer 1-dimensional players.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think people figured him out. He was still hitting a decent percentage from 3, but he’s no threat to attack off the dribble. You can close out hard on him and not worry that he’s gonna do anything if he can’t get the shot off. That combined with his lack of defense did him in. He’s worth it if he’s hitting 45% from 3, not worth it if he’s at 38%.