The Democrats

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: The Democrats

Post by Nodack »

I liked her a lot at first….

Cap

Post by Cap »

Hook her up with Zell Miller.

ETA: I hope she’s a necrophile. Miller died in 2018.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This thread talks about how a lot of polls and fundamentals indicate that the Democrats are poised to have a rough 2022 election result.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Fetterman/Oz senate debate tonight was pretty rough for the Democrat. Still recovering from his stroke, he noticeably struggled with his answers.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Pennsylvania, your choices are the guy who can’t complete his sentences or the guy who is a snake oil salesman.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

What kind of doctor sells his soul for money? How can he sell those quack "medicines" with a straight face?
"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Republicans haha

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Obama wasn't a perfect President, but he was an extremely effective speaker and communicator. This is a great takedown of Hershel Walker.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

See. This isn’t helping…

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Eh, that's just some random person being a troll. I don't follow people like that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Looks like they will be changing the order of the primary states for the next election. They're going to do South Carolina first instead of Iowa. I dunno if SC is the most representative state, but Iowa surely isn't. I wish they'd just do several ones tied for first on the same day rather than putting so much pressure on one "first" state.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Congress is about to pass reforms to the Electoral Count Act. This is really good.

Some of the good stuff in the bill:

Clarify that the vice president has only a ministerial role in counting the electoral votes.
Close the loophole that allows state legislatures to declare a “failed” election and potentially overrule the decision of the voters.
Ensure an expedited judicial process to resolve disputes about the validity of electoral votes.
Ensure that courts could review whether a governor has appropriately certified a state’s electors.
Provide for a more expedited judicial review process.
Make clear that nothing in the bill impedes the important role of state courts in ensuring fair elections.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Didn't really know where to put this. California is discussing issuing financial reparations for slavery to its black citizens. Kind of a strange thing to do on a single-state basis as opposed to some kind of national effort.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Having read Roots recently, I'm all for it. This country was built on the back of slavery. It should be national.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A slippery slope that will piss off a lot of people and help get Trump elected. Slavery was horrible but, everyone who was ever a slave died a long long time ago. The article talks about discrimination as a result of slavery more than anything being the biggest part of the reparations. There was and is discrimination happening in the US. Blacks aren’t the only people discriminated against. The Chinese came here and were basically slaves or banned from entering the country. We screwed the naive Indians over big time. The Irish were hated when they started immigrating here. The Japanese in intern camps during WWII and were hated when their products started replacing American products in the 80’s. My Viking ancestors raped and pillaged all sorts of countries. Women weren’t allowed to vote in the US until fairly recently. When am I going to have to pay then all back? Every country has their storied past and the US certainly isn’t squeaky clean.

This will look like a woke Democrat handout to a lot of people on the right and isn’t going to help get Democrats get elected at all. It’s food for Trump and DeSantis. Trying to make people pay for their ancestors mistakes is going to piss them off a lot and I can see their point.

Discrimination- the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of ethnicity, age, sex, or disability.

I am all for fighting against discrimination. My white brother worked at TSA for a brief time when he lost his job during the recession and was told when he asked that there was zero chance he would be promoted due to him being a white guy, so he quit. That was discrimination too.

How do you make discrimination better? It seems to me discrimination is just a term for saying some people don’t respect other people based on their ethnicity, age, sex, or disability and have screwed them over in some form based on that. Some things you can legislate that helps. Giving all Americans the same rights no matter their ethnicity, age, sex, disability or sexual preference should be a given. It’s hard to force people to respect each other and not screw each other over. It seems like that is more of a winning over the hearts and mind kind of thing to me. I don’t know the answer to that. I am pretty sure this reparations thing isn’t going to win over the hearts and minds of a large segment of America and will open the legal can of worms to other people who have been discriminated against in America in our history.

This is a gift to the right who will exploit the crap out of it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Among the possible estimates of reparations for Black Californians recommended by the task force are:

Estimated value of payment for health care disparities: $13,619 for each year of residency, based on 71-year life expectancy.
Estimated payment for housing discrimination: $148,099 or $3,366 for each year between 1933 and 1977 spent as a resident of the state.
Estimated payment for mass incarceration and overpolicing: $115,260 or $2,352 for each year of residency in California during the 49-year period between 1971 and 2020.

Estimated value of payment for health care disparities: $13,619 for each year of residency, based on 71-year life expectancy.
$13,619x71= $966,949

Estimated payment for housing discrimination: $148,099 or $3,366 for each year between 1933 and 1977 spent as a resident of the state.
$148,099

Estimated payment for mass incarceration and overpolicing: $115,260 or $2,352 for each year of residency in California during the 49-year period between 1971 and 2020.
$115,260

966,949+ 148,099+ 115,260=$1,230,308 per person?

California’s Black population is more than 2.5 million, according to the US Census Bureau.

1,230,308x 2,500,000= $3,075,770,000,000

3 trillion for California alone?

US at that rate? 47 million blacks in US in 2021

1,230,308 X 47,000,000= $57,824,476,000,000

58 trillion? Just add it on and pass another budget increase? Maybe my math is off. This doesn’t seem plausible to me.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s no way they’d give 1.2 million per person.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

How much did the US Civil War cost? How much was the life of each Union soldier who died worth against offsetting the evils of slavery?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Dianne Feinstein seems unable to remember that she's been away from the Senate. Pretty embarrassing. Just retire already.