Sarver to sell!!!!!!!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: Sarver to sell!!!!!!!

Post by Drewsprocket »

I’d like more proof. But I do imagine that the suns being for sale is an opportunity for Black leadership in this country to be an NBA owner. It would be great for Phoenix, we deserve better stewardship in basketball amongst these owners. Jordan is more of a steward of his own brand and personal wants.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

We're cool with racist old white guys owning sports franchises that typically lean very far right with their politics and political donations but having Obama as minority owner would create divide amongst fans? Seems absurd to me. It's easier for folks to pretend the rich white majority owner doesn't have any political influence or agenda and just cheer for their team. Don't see why they couldn't get over Obama and go back to cheering for their team as well.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Owners of D-backs, Cardinals Behind Racist Attack Ads in County Attorney Race

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/ow ... e-14709094
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:52 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:59 am
That's very strange. I don't know why Obama would be involved. Just a well-known name ID to help get a particular bid accepted? I can't imagine that Obama has enough money to be a majority stakeholder, so he'd just be a small partner in any such thing. I also agree that it would introduce a complicated polarization into the Suns team. If any major partisan political figure, like Trump, Obama, the Clintons, whomever, bought a basketball team, that would have the potential to aggravate half of the fanbase.
There is precedent. George Bush owned a baseball team (Rangers). I have no issue with it.
When he purchased a share of the team, he was not really a partisan figure yet, though. He was just the President's son. He sold his shares while he was governor.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I just care about whether they’d be a good owner. Regardless of anyone’s politics. Obama I believe would make a good owner simply based upon his relationship with basketball stewards and ambassadors across the whole sport. You know he’d attract better stars than we’ve seen before. Fans will get over the politics part.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:39 am
We're cool with racist old white guys owning sports franchises that typically lean very far right with their politics and political donations but having Obama as minority owner would create divide amongst fans? Seems absurd to me. It's easier for folks to pretend the rich white majority owner doesn't have any political influence or agenda and just cheer for their team. Don't see why they couldn't get over Obama and go back to cheering for their team as well.
Yeah, like it doesn’t alienate the intellectual fan base when Ken Kendrick, Gonzo and company donate to and endorse Kari Lake and the other election conspiracy theorists.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

You guys are right, I’m probably giving too much credence to weirdos in the extreme minority. Unfortunately, they’re pretty loud and would bring unnecessary “controversy” to the club when trying to avoid exactly that. Obama wouldn’t hold any real power, so it just seems like more trouble than it’s worth to me.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think we're getting too far into partisan politics stuff in this thread and I'd rather do such talking in the Politics area. We can talk more about Obama or any others if they end up emerging in stories about buying the team, but maybe we can table it for now.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Yeah, sports is one of the few things we all still have in common.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Sorry gang. I was basically just trying to say it's absurd to object to an ownership group with Obama and think it would have a big shift in our fanbase when there are so many scumbag owners in professional sports.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:43 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:39 am
Yeah, like it doesn’t alienate the intellectual fan base when Ken Kendrick, Gonzo and company donate to and endorse Kari Lake and the other election conspiracy theorists.
Don't leave out Jerry. He endorsed her, too.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Interesting article: Suns sale may set record NBA value, but will less than half of team change hands? https://theathletic.com/3729154/2022/10 ... rt-sarver/
“The (general partner) can get a real premium for just selling control, why would he even want to mess around with the limited partners?” said another of the investment bankers.
In other words, Sarver could potentially get a lot more money by not forcing the other owners to sell their shares (except Dyal, who is required to).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:10 am
Interesting article: Suns sale may set record NBA value, but will less than half of team change hands? https://theathletic.com/3729154/2022/10 ... rt-sarver/
“The (general partner) can get a real premium for just selling control, why would he even want to mess around with the limited partners?” said another of the investment bankers.
In other words, Sarver could potentially get a lot more money by not forcing the other owners to sell their shares (except Dyal, who is required to).
I don't get it.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s saying Sarver might just sell his share of the team which is only like 35%. Someone could buy controlling stock of the team for say 1.5 billion dollars and that would put the full value of the suns at 4.3 billion.

The valuation will be higher if they just purchase Sarver’s share as that 35% is way more valuable than the other 65%. You don’t need the other 65% to be the controlling partner. So while someone might not be willing to spend 4.3 billion on the whole team, they’d gladly spend 1.5 billion for Sarver’s share.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I see. So Sarver would become a billionaire and get the 1.5 billion personally. And the person who pays that would take his spot in the current ownership group.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:24 am
I see. So Sarver would become a billionaire and get the 1.5 billion personally. And the person who pays that would take his spot in the current ownership group.
Yep and all the other minority owners would stay the same

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:28 am
Superbone wrote:
Except for the Dyal firm, which has tag-along rights. So the new owner has to purchase 40% (Sarver's 35% + Dyal's 5%).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:46 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:28 am
Superbone wrote:
Except for the Dyal firm, which has tag-along rights. So the new owner has to purchase 40% (Sarver's 35% + Dyal's 5%).
This is the first I've ever heard of Dyal.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The rumors were just that.

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:55 am
The rumors were just that.

Jeez. All of the "thank God" and "I'll stop being a fan of this team" replies are just nuts. The joys of being in such a right wing state.