Around the League: Week 6 (11/21 - 11/27)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Week 3 (10/31-11/6)

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:54 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:46 pm
TOO wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:40 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:32 pm
One thing I’ll say, I don’t know what offers were actually out there for KD in the summer, but they’re only getting worse. They should’ve moved him already. Surprised Marks still has a job.
Will they take Cam and his cheap deal and a buncha firsts? I don't think he's gonna get much more than that now. I don't know that I'd put Bridges out there now, in the off-season I'd have done him or Ayton but now that's not an option, I'd rather keep Bridges to pair him with KD.
That would be the dream… CamJ, Crowder, Saric, Shamet, and 4 1sts for KD…might need to include Craig too for salary matching
Jesus. That would gut a large chunk of our team and future for one guy. Especially since CamJ has looked terrific at times. Maybe I'm overrating CamJ and 4 1st round picks.
Just underrating KD…thats 2 guys who aren’t even playing, plus one guy we are mostly meh on. Can’t even compare KD to CamJ because they are different planets as players. Ya we’d be giving up a lot of picks, but picks are overrated. Their biggest value to us is in acquiring talent and we’d never get a better talent than KD.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:57 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:47 pm
Lakers really want an unapologetic antisemite? Who thinks that he can’t be antisemitic because of “where he’s from?”
Nobody needs some yeehawdist or lunatic shooting up a synagogue because some celebrity can’t help posting his bullshit conspiracies. There just needs to be a zero tolerance. Sorry you can’t afford media training, but if you can’t handle being a celebrity, your contract should be toast.
I don't think Kyrie is truly anti-Semitic. There are too many personal accounts of him being generous with all types of people. His issue, which I'd label a "personality disorder" for the sake of simplicity, is his behavior in public and specifically when interacting with the media.

He's curious, which is great, but it's as if he questions everything and doesn't want to believe anything that isn't framed in his own "truth". Flat Earth, vaccines, fucking world history... All of his takes are centered around his perspective and interpretation of events. Then he'll double down when someone calls him out for being absurd or rude and that's when the combative nonsense with the media starts.

He genuinely believes he's the smartest person in the room, so he cannot bring himself to retract anything he says because he believes he's always correct, so retreating on his opinion would imply that he's lying about his beliefs.
His antisemitism is rather casual. I don’t even want to know whats in the movie but I read it sources Hitler. I mostly agree with you about his lack awareness around his narcissistic traits. My only true problem with this is how much media attention antisemitism seems to drum up hateful acts by yahoos looking for a reason. My Jewish moms house last year was littered with neo nazi propaganda.
I think there is a Correlation between media attention and acts of hate and violence. I just wish this would result in a career shot to the head instead of a drawn out controversy. But whatever thats just my opinion.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:24 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:57 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:47 pm
Lakers really want an unapologetic antisemite? Who thinks that he can’t be antisemitic because of “where he’s from?”
Nobody needs some yeehawdist or lunatic shooting up a synagogue because some celebrity can’t help posting his bullshit conspiracies. There just needs to be a zero tolerance. Sorry you can’t afford media training, but if you can’t handle being a celebrity, your contract should be toast.
I don't think Kyrie is truly anti-Semitic. There are too many personal accounts of him being generous with all types of people. His issue, which I'd label a "personality disorder" for the sake of simplicity, is his behavior in public and specifically when interacting with the media.

He's curious, which is great, but it's as if he questions everything and doesn't want to believe anything that isn't framed in his own "truth". Flat Earth, vaccines, fucking world history... All of his takes are centered around his perspective and interpretation of events. Then he'll double down when someone calls him out for being absurd or rude and that's when the combative nonsense with the media starts.

He genuinely believes he's the smartest person in the room, so he cannot bring himself to retract anything he says because he believes he's always correct, so retreating on his opinion would imply that he's lying about his beliefs.
His antisemitism is rather casual. I don’t even want to know whats in the movie but I read it sources Hitler. I mostly agree with you about his lack awareness around his narcissistic traits. My only true problem with this is how much media attention antisemitism seems to drum up hateful acts by yahoos looking for a reason. My Jewish moms house last year was littered with neo nazi propaganda.
I think there is a Correlation between media attention and acts of hate and violence. I just wish this would result in a career shot to the head instead of a drawn out controversy. But whatever thats just my opinion.
You're spot on about the general media's attention given to a lot of this stuff, but if I'm wearing their hat, social media will have the same affect, so they're leaving food on the table if they don't cover it at all. This stuff is gross and evil, but the scale of media is kind of irrelevant when ignorant people themselves are the problem.

My biggest issue with Kyrie is that I perceive him to be playing a "character" of sorts in the public lens. A lot of the stuff he does and says is literally performative to elicit a reaction, and if the personal testimonies of his true character are to be believed, he should know better than to push certain buttons. That's where the personality disorder and narcissism come into play because in the end I think he simply can't help himself sometimes, he needs the attention of someone marveling at his "genius". Putting aside the dark aspects, and that sucks to hear about your mother's home, it's pretty hilarious how he fits the cliche of a university freshman who just enrolled in a philosophy course and tries support every opinion by quoting Descartes.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Kyrie has said that he believes secret organizations are running the world. I'm fairly certain of who he thinks is in charge of those secret organizations. Apology or not, that's the most dangerous kind of antisemitism. Yes, the holocaust denial is absurd and easily disputable and it seems that's what his apology centered around. I don't think anything that's happened in the last week would have changed his core belief, though. If anything, it probably cemented it.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I’m not posting his apology on instagram. Glad he found an appropriate response. Now I hope he can fuck off and join Meyers Leonard in obscurity. I believe in restorative justice. But that doesn’t mean he needs keep his platform and celebrity.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:51 pm
You are right WW, but I also don't think it's about hot takes as much as people just wanting to enjoy their schadenfreude on the Warrior situation. I know that's where I'm at for sure.
We've got to enjoy it while we can. :)
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Suns have a lot of expirings to throw around at more permanent solutions to positional problems, and even depth (as Jae and Dario give us none).

- KD5
- Conley
- Harrison Barnes
- Draymond Green

All seem interesting, though perhaps only Barnes is actually available now. KD will ask out again if things don't turn around sharp-ish, and I don't expect they will. At 6-1, the Suns don't have an urgent need (yet). But if Johnson, Payne, CP3 or Craig are out for any period of time, they will be.

One question though: is COnley part of Utah's long term plans? And with Paul's slow decline, should the Suns think about PG by committee?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wormwood wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:30 am
One question though: is COnley part of Utah's long term plans? And with Paul's slow decline, should the Suns think about PG by committee?
That's two questions and to your last one, it seems like we already are between CP, Payne, and Book with Mikal and others bringing the ball down the court.
"Be Legendary."

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Wormwood wrote:
Suns have a lot of expirings to throw around at more permanent solutions to positional problems, and even depth (as Jae and Dario give us none).

- KD5
- Conley
- Harrison Barnes
- Draymond Green

All seem interesting, though perhaps only Barnes is actually available now. KD will ask out again if things don't turn around sharp-ish, and I don't expect they will. At 6-1, the Suns don't have an urgent need (yet). But if Johnson, Payne, CP3 or Craig are out for any period of time, they will be.

I wonder how salvageable our relationship with Jae is. As much as I think all those guys would help us, I don't really know which are really available. Jae himself would be a nice boost to the bench.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Wormwood wrote:

- KD5
- Conley
- Harrison Barnes
- Draymond Green

And what Conley goes to Minnesota with Crowder (so much needed veteran leadership) D-Lo is sent to Phoenix, and we ship Shamet and Craig/ Payne to Utah with a 1st?

Damion Lee makes Shamet expendable, and D-Lo from the bench it’s a notorious upgrade over Payne. Then Phoenix sent Dario and the Craig/ Payne player let from the Utah trade fie Barnes, and we get:

CP3 / Booker / Mikal / Cam J / Ayton

D-Lo / Lee / Barnes / Landsale

DWJ / Okogie / Byombo

It’s not the KD home run, and I would prefer bringing Collins and Gordon, but it’s more likely this guys are available. ( There is a reason for that though)

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m done with Jae, we honestly haven’t missed him yet. I wanted to move him before his trade demands. He’s better than the guys playing the minutes he’d get if he came back(Craig and Lee), but he doesn’t really offer anything new. Craig has also been fantastic to start the season. We need something different though. More rim pressure or shot creation.

Now if he wanted to come back and play until we move him, I’d be all for it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:49 am
Wormwood wrote:
That's two questions and to your last one, it seems like we already are between CP, Payne, and Book with Mikal and others bringing the ball down the court.
And I am not sure adding 24M/year, 35 year old Conley to our 28M/year, 37 year old Paul is the best way to do PG by committee.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:09 am
Wormwood wrote:

- KD5
- Conley
- Harrison Barnes
- Draymond Green

And what Conley goes to Minnesota with Crowder (so much needed veteran leadership) D-Lo is sent to Phoenix, and we ship Shamet and Craig/ Payne to Utah with a 1st?

Damion Lee makes Shamet expendable, and D-Lo from the bench it’s a notorious upgrade over Payne. Then Phoenix sent Dario and the Craig/ Payne player let from the Utah trade fie Barnes, and we get:

DWJ / Okogie / Byombo

It’s not the KD home run, and I would prefer bringing Collins and Gordon, but it’s more likely this guys are available. ( There is a reason for that though)
I’ve thought about D-Lo…I wouldn’t give up a 1st for him though. 2 2nds, with one coming from Minny should be enough for Utah.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Draft capital is always so subjective, but that would just an idea, Sacramento was likely to ask draft capital attached to Barnes, but he started slow, so right now would be a reach to send a 1st as well.

D-Lo is younger, could start or close for CP3 and if he puts real energy on learning from him, perhaps even become his replacement. And playing against second units should improve his performance. All those extras make me surrender the 1st in order to make it happen. On the other hand, he is expiring, and that gave you a fair point.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

People are attacking KD for those comments, but I think it’s very possible he’s including Kyrie and his original post about the documentary. He said he didn’t like any of it, including Kyrie’s part.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:00 am
Wormwood wrote:

- KD5
- Conley
- Harrison Barnes
- Draymond Green

I wonder how salvageable our relationship with Jae is. As much as I think all those guys would help us, I don't really know which are really available. Jae himself would be a nice boost to the bench.
Fuck Jae and his chucking

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:17 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:09 am
Wormwood wrote:

- KD5
- Conley
- Harrison Barnes
- Draymond Green

DWJ / Okogie / Byombo

I’ve thought about D-Lo…I wouldn’t give up a 1st for him though. 2 2nds, with one coming from Minny should be enough for Utah.
I'm down on D-Lo (as in not interested.) Like somebody else pointed out, you almost forget he's on the Wolves when we play them because his play is so...forgettable.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:31 pm
wpmiller42 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:00 am
Wormwood wrote:

- KD5
- Conley
- Harrison Barnes
- Draymond Green

Fuck Jae and his chucking
And his unprofessionalism.
"Be Legendary."