Game Day: Suns (7-2) @ 76ers (4-6), Mon 11/7/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Game Day: Suns (7-2) @ 76ers (4-6), Mon 11/7/22

Post by Split T »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:02 pm
They need a stronger backup for CP...it was PAINFULLY obvious tonight...
I actually thought Payne was pretty good tonight. We need shooting and another player that can pressure the defense.

Just watching the Sixers, they obviously have Embiid that makes problems for us, but they also have Harris and Maxey. Maxey didn’t have a good game, but his ability to get down hill scrambles our defense. Harris attacks mismatches well.

We literally only have Booker. Bridges can do stuff when the defense ignores him but that’s not enough. Ayton does stuff when our guards spoon feed him, that’s also not enough.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
They need a stronger backup for CP...it was PAYNEFULLY obvious tonight...
8-)
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:14 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
I actually thought Payne was pretty good tonight. We need shooting and another player that can pressure the defense.

Just watching the Sixers, they obviously have Embiid that makes problems for us, but they also have Harris and Maxey. Maxey didn’t have a good game, but his ability to get down hill scrambles our defense. Harris attacks mismatches well.

We literally only have Booker. Bridges can do stuff when the defense ignores him but that’s not enough. Ayton does stuff when our guards spoon feed him, that’s also not enough.
In general we stalled when we needed to execute...Payne was 'ok,' but that's the thing...the PG is a position this mix is highly dependent on (players, schema), so an 'ok' backup...esp when our starter is Chris' age...means we can't thrive with an 'ok' backup. We need an upgrade if we're really wanting to push through to the finals. If the goals is be competitive and lose in the 2nd or such, ok...stand pat, we'll have a fun season, and we'll be out and another season gone. If we want a chance, than we are foolish to stand pat.
Last edited by Vladimir_Taltos on Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TOO

Post by TOO »

My hero origin story is when everyone realizes I was right about Jones being bad at his job.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:21 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:14 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

In general we stalled when we needed to execute...Payne was 'ok,' but that's the thing...the PG is a position this mix is highly dependent on (players, schema), so an 'ok' backup...esp when our starter is Chris' age...means we can't thrive with an 'ok' backup. We need an upgrade if we're really wanting to push through to the finals. If the goals is be competitive and lose in the 2nd or such, ok...stand pat, we'll have a fun season, and we'll be out and another season gone. If we want a chance, than we are foolish to stand pat.
I don’t necessarily disagree with your overall point…just not sure tonight was the best example. Payne wasn’t the problem in my opinion. We got nothing from Craig, Ayton was blah, Bridges didn’t do much until a few baskets at the end. Lee and Payne were fine…only two who I felt did their jobs along with Booker.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
My hero origin story is when everyone realizes I was right about Jones being bad at his job.
Eh, I mean he can definitely do a bad job this year, but he’ll have always gotten us to where he did the last two years. Can’t take that away from him.

He’s certainly not getting great scores on his performance this year yet though.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:00 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:49 pm
TOO wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:35 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:30 pm
We gave Shamet 45 million lol

🤢
Before ever even playing a game iirc.
Almost as bad as the Cardinals extending Keim and Kingsbury for eternity AFTER a horrific end to a season and disaster in the playoffs.
Not close…at least 23 million of Shamets 45 is non-guaranteed.
Keim and Kliff extensions were really wild. Keim should’ve been fired after his DUI incident in 2018 but somehow was able to keep his job, then this dude convinced Bidwell to give him and Kliff and extension after one the most shocking in season collapses I have ever witnessed. I guess Bidwell is that much of a fucking dope?

Can’t wait to see how many more behind LOS screen passes Kliff calls this week. :?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:36 pm
TOO wrote:
Eh, I mean he can definitely do a bad job this year, but he’ll have always gotten us to where he did the last two years. Can’t take that away from him.

He’s certainly not getting great scores on his performance this year yet though.
Chris Paul wanted to come to Phoenix. I refuse to give Jones all the credit for that. Booker deserves more credit for the last 2 years than Jones.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Usually the game where we are reminded by Embiid how far away Ayron is from being an elite center. He wasn't terrible but he's miles away from being remarkable.

Cam Payne had a terrible start to the game and managed to have a decent line but the -11 and 4 turnovers were brutal. He played hard though.

Nothing from Craig tonight after the first basket of the game.

Suns played hard they just didn't execute that first half. Hopefully they keep their heads up and get back to business on Wednesday
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:40 pm
Split T wrote:
TOO wrote:

Chris Paul wanted to come to Phoenix. I refuse to give Jones all the credit for that. Booker deserves more credit for the last 2 years than Jones.
I think players always deserve more credit than GM’s, so no disagreement from me. I do think Jones should get some credit for the team he put together that CP3 wanted to join. CP3 never would’ve come if McD was still here. JJ brought in Monty, Rubio, Oubre, CamJ, Saric, Baynes and arguably Bridges. He definitely played a big role in ending our 2015-2019 suck fest.

I will say that I’m not super excited for the JJ rebuild after this team falls off. I think he’s got 1 move in him to try and extend this window, but if he botches that I’m not looking forward to how he runs the next few years. He’s going to endlessly chase a championship without a championship roster and we’ll forever be stuck in 1st/2nd round exit land.

carey

Post by carey »

Exactly what I feared would happen has happened and it's only the first week of November. Down 3 starters if you consider Jae starter worthy. Can't rely on Cam, can't rely on Chris. We need some help. Jones has to get creative & earn his paycheck.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:56 pm
Maybe stop leaving Niang
Nah. He had a good time. Suns didn’t want to ruin it for him.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don’t think we can wait until December 15th to make a move. Booker will die of exhaustion before then.

Bad coaching job by Monty not giving Book a breather at the start of the 4th. He was clearly gassed in the final quarter (0 points) and when we needed him the last 6 minutes he had nothing to give.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:55 pm
TOO wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:40 pm
Split T wrote:
TOO wrote:

I think players always deserve more credit than GM’s, so no disagreement from me. I do think Jones should get some credit for the team he put together that CP3 wanted to join. CP3 never would’ve come if McD was still here. JJ brought in Monty, Rubio, Oubre, CamJ, Saric, Baynes and arguably Bridges. He definitely played a big role in ending our 2015-2019 suck fest.

I will say that I’m not super excited for the JJ rebuild after this team falls off. I think he’s got 1 move in him to try and extend this window, but if he botches that I’m not looking forward to how he runs the next few years. He’s going to endlessly chase a championship without a championship roster and we’ll forever be stuck in 1st/2nd round exit land.
Hard to rebuild when you don’t believe in the draft.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Good luck with that. He quickly took us from horrible to the Finals.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:11 pm
I don’t think we can wait until December 15th to make a move. Booker will die of exhaustion before then.

Bad coaching job by Monty not giving Book a breather at the start of the 4th. He was clearly gassed in the final quarter (0 points) and when we needed him the last 6 minutes he had nothing to give.
At the very least go sign Melo

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

I want to see Ayton get more than his usual 16 points a game.

He should be averaging around 24 a game.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:39 pm

That’s a no brainer. And I’d love to see his nuts descend. His play tonight was embarrassing. So intimated. Soft as hell with multiple missed layups that were EASY dunks. Mr. Max needs to grow a pair.

The exact same statement could be replicated for Mikal, Mr. 12-15ppg for $90M. He is easily replaceable. Individual defense is so overrated in the playoffs. Team defense is much more important. I would ship either of them for a legit #1 or 2 on offense any day of the week
Last edited by specialsauce on Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:39 pm

I bet he’d do it if we let him take 25 mid range jumpers a game

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TOO wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:17 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
They need a stronger backup for CP...it was PAYNEFULLY obvious tonight...
8-)
We need a stronger #2 than CP3, not backup.