Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
AmareIsGod

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by AmareIsGod »

Really enjoyed the most recent episode of Handmaid's Tale. They spent less time with dramatic close ups of Elisabeth Moss and plenty of sweaty close ups of Yvonne Strahovski moaning. Hubba hubba.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Andor is so freaking good.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:09 pm
If I don't care for Star Wars, is it still amazing? For the record, I thought the Mandalorian was predictable and boring. Didn't watch past the first season.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:44 pm
Shabazz wrote:
If I don't care for Star Wars, is it still amazing? For the record, I thought the Mandalorian was predictable and boring. Didn't watch past the first season.
I think it’s the most likely Star Wars show for you to enjoy. It’s not as episodic as The Mandalorian, but I’d say that’s the closest comparison. So hard to say, but if you watch the first 3-4 episodes and aren’t feeling it, I think you’d be safe to stop. Those should give you a pretty good idea.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Has anybody watched The Watcher? Any good?
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:44 pm
Shabazz wrote:
I think it's a good show on it's own, not just as measured against Star Wars shows. The writing is great. The world-building and level of detail is just so cool and not something you typically see in SW canon. It also barely has any non-human characters. It's very adult.

Basically, Tony Girloy (who also did Rogue One) wanted to create a non-Star Wars-y show in the Star Wars universe. So if you're going to like anything Star Wars, this would be it.

Don't fully agree with Split. It is a little slower paced, but I would say that if you can make it to Episode 4 and are bought in enough, stick around until Episode 6, when it really picks up.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:01 pm
I heard not great things and don't really care for Ryan Murphy's stuff, so I stayed away.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
I watched it…I enjoyed it while watching, it’s creepy, but after finishing it, I was a bit disappointed

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Thanks gang. May have to check out Andor then. I always felt like Mandalorian was predictable with no real world building and scattershot all over the map episode to episode.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:26 pm
Superbone wrote:
I watched it…I enjoyed it while watching, it’s creepy, but after finishing it, I was a bit disappointed
So, you're saying that you're The Watcher! :P I ended up watching it over the weekend. It pulled me in. The fact that it's based on a true story, actually two true stories combined into one, makes it all the creepier. Just did a little research on it.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Just stopping by; haven't checked in on this thread in a while.

Right now my wife and I are watching White Lotus on HBO. Kind of a dark comedy dramedy show. Season 1 is set at a fancy resort in Hawaii; now we're on Season 2, which is set at another fancy resort in Italy. Kind of a study of awful/funny rich people getting into rich people problems. Might not be for everyone, but I have enjoyed it.

We also watched Andor on Disney+. +1 to the praise others have given. Very enjoyable season. I was never really that into Rogue One (felt unnecessary to me) but this is a nice exploration of the history of those characters.

By far my wife's and my favorite show of 2022 has been Severance on Apple TV. Really intriguing and mysterious and funny and just a joy. Highest recommendation. Can't wait for Season 2.

We watched some of The Rehearsal. Enjoyed it, but it gets a bit ridiculous and complicated and weird. Haven't finished it yet. But it's fascinating and unlike anything else on TV.

Started The Peripheral. Meh. Probably won't go back to it. Cliche premise and so-so acting / writing in the first few episodes.

House of the Dragon and the LotR show were a dual treat earlier this year. I like HotD much more, but both were fun. The LotR show felt a bit cheesy and saccharine compared to the gritty GRRM writing. It's also weird to watch a GRRM show based on so little source material. But I'm into it.

That's about it. I haven't seen any movies in a long time; can't really find time for it.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The English. Amazon Prime Original mini-series. SO GOOD!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:36 am
I'm going to check this out. I hadn't heard about it before now.

If anyone watches Yellowstone, it's been meh this season so far. 1923 has been much better though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:14 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

If anyone watches Yellowstone, it's been meh this season so far. 1923 has been much better though.
Enjoyed 1883 but love The English more. Takes place within 10 years of each other.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:45 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:14 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

Enjoyed 1883 but love The English more. Takes place within 10 years of each other.
I enjoyed 1883, and felt it's cadence matched the slow grind of the wagon trail. So far, I am enjoying 1923 much more.

I am definitely intrigued by your recommendation of The English.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Double thumbs up for White Lotus. Binged both seasons relatively quickly. Just finished up Jack Ryan season 3 last night. Enjoyed the ride. Also finished S3 of Barry recently. Excellent. Very interested what they have on tap for S4. Was thinking The Peripheral is next. Will see if I'm let down like Marty.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:13 am
Started The Peripheral. Meh. Probably won't go back to it. Cliche premise and so-so acting / writing in the first few episodes.

That's about it. I haven't seen any movies in a long time; can't really find time for it.
So you only watched the first few episodes? Did you read the books?

It's possible that I like cliche premises, and didn't think that acting was all that bad. I enjoyed it, but the end seemed like it just stopped and felt like I should be expecting more episodes of the season.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:43 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:13 am

So you only watched the first few episodes? Did you read the books?

It's possible that I like cliche premises, and didn't think that acting was all that bad. I enjoyed it, but the end seemed like it just stopped and felt like I should be expecting more episodes of the season.
I did read there's a good chance of a season 2.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I will come back to Peripheral at some point. I loved Westworld (RIP) so I will give Nolan/Joy a chance.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:44 pm
I will come back to Peripheral at some point. I loved Westworld (RIP) so I will give Nolan/Joy a chance.
Didn't realize WW was done. Still have to finish the last season.
"Be Legendary."