Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by iLLmatic »

Should've S + T him when we had the chance..

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Booker and Bridges were off tonight so if Ayton were earning his paycheck he'd know that he needs to step up. He didn't. Got outplayed by anyone at the opposing position.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Suns have a lot of trouble with athleticism and length. Pelicans are another example of a team built like this.

You can really feel the lack of a reliable #2 star on nights like this. Book generally contributes a bunch of points, but other guys need to step up, too. Ayton and Bridges haven't been consistently contributing enough points to be relied upon as a #2 guy.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Was getting in last night from a day of traveling so only saw bits and pieces of the game, which was for the best. I could tell the team didn't have it tho, looked similar to the Philly game with no juice and no real flow. We were down CP and Shamet along with CamJ so it was going to be tough with Book and Mikal already playing a ton minutes on the trip so far - Mikal's over 40mpg the last 3 games and Book's at 38mpg. Not sustainable. The Magic have young legs and a lot of size and shot better than usual.

Another encouraging game from Payne. He looks sharp and is playing with good balance. I think he tries too hard to be a PG at times but is best when he's a threat to score and using his instincts as a scoring guard.

Not much more to be said about DA. I do agree he and the team might be biding their time to a trade but he's still got to step up, even just for himself, in games where we're down bodies. I knew WCJ would give him trouble because he's such a versatile big with size and athleticism. He'd be a great fit here and I thought there may be a chance for a S+T but that's out the window. DA played 26 minutes last night and it felt like Monty was looking for more up front, going with Jock and Biz for a combined 24 minutes. He's gotta be just as frustrated as we are with DA.

TC and Lee are good enough roleplayers but not big minute players. They're "sometimes shooters".

Still won't make a big deal about depth or the bench and not going to panic. We're good, we're just down our starting PG and PF and one of our lead bench guys. Take those kinds of players away from any team and they'll struggle with depth and scoring. No team is so deep to where the 11th, 12th and 13th guys are reliable enough to win games.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:17 am
DA played 26 minutes last night and it felt like Monty was looking for more up front, going with Jock and Biz for a combined 24 minutes. He's gotta be just as frustrated as we are with DA.
Did you even watch the video you posted? :?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:19 am
ShelC wrote:
DA played 26 minutes last night and it felt like Monty was looking for more up front, going with Jock and Biz for a combined 24 minutes. He's gotta be just as frustrated as we are with DA.
Monty complaining about how unfairly physical people are with DA and DA not able to be physical rings hollow when DA was called for zero fouls last night. It was just an attempt by Monty to buy some love from DA hoping maybe DA will start going to bat and playing basketball like even a semi max starting C in the league. Even you have to admit he's been a huge disappointment.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

TOO wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:24 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:17 pm
A true sign of aggression from our max center. 5 rebounds, 0 fouls, 0 free throws and 1 3-point attempt. Nice to see him really step up when we're down some players. He's had every opportunity as our max center to step into our number 2 or number 3 with no clear option outside of Booker and has looked like a guy that got paid and has nothing more to prove or contribute.
I'm fairly excited to see Jeremy's argument to the contrary.
You promised me that nobody ever has an issue with him not fouling. :lol:

I'm not gonna defend 5 rebounds in 26 minutes--he needs to step up his effort on the boards. But he should still be given a chance to see what he can do with 36 mpg like Mikal & Book get.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:31 am
JeremyG wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Monty complaining about how unfairly physical people are with DA and DA not able to be physical rings hollow when DA was called for zero fouls last night.
Monty said nothing about DA not being allowed to be physical. He only discussed the offensive side in that clip.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:42 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:31 am
JeremyG wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Monty complaining about how unfairly physical people are with DA and DA not able to be physical rings hollow when DA was called for zero fouls last night.
Monty said nothing about DA not being allowed to be physical. He only discussed the offensive side in that clip.

Apologies. Ayton has been playing with force on offense forcing contact and the officials are missing it?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:36 am
TOO wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
A true sign of aggression from our max center. 5 rebounds, 0 fouls, 0 free throws and 1 3-point attempt. Nice to see him really step up when we're down some players. He's had every opportunity as our max center to step into our number 2 or number 3 with no clear option outside of Booker and has looked like a guy that got paid and has nothing more to prove or contribute.

I'm not gonna defend 5 rebounds in 26 minutes--he needs to step up his effort on the boards. But he should still be given a chance to see what he can do with 36 mpg like Mikal & Book get.
Maybe he should work on earning more minutes. Coach is probably as frustrated as objective fans are. We don't need a 7ft shooting guard missing point blank layups and getting beat on the boards by opposing PGs. We need a 7ft physical center out there. I'm getting tired of a 6ft 4 or under player on Ayton, the team feeding Ayton and Ayton tries to do some weak layup that he misses over the tiny defender.

When your max center makes Boris Diaw seem fierce in comparison, there's something wrong.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:35 am
Suns have a lot of trouble with athleticism and length. Pelicans are another example of a team built like this.

You can really feel the lack of a reliable #2 star on nights like this. Book generally contributes a bunch of points, but other guys need to step up, too. Ayton and Bridges haven't been consistently contributing enough points to be relied upon as a #2 guy.
Ayton is the one being paid to be that guy but he just isn't.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:36 am
TOO wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Probably around 18/10 like most of his career.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I remember the day when Ayton would get a double double just walking on the court. Now he can’t even get 10 rebounds? I don’t get it. He’s get worse, not better.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Tim Thomas syndrome.
Got his paycheck, gonna coast till his next contract year comes up

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:53 pm
I remember the day when Ayton would get a double double just walking on the court. Now he can’t even get 10 rebounds? I don’t get it. He’s get worse, not better.
They're not playing him enough minutes, sharing the ball with him or letting him play aggressive. It's not his fault!

/s

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

I'm starting to wonder if he already is or will end up being the most disappointing player in Phoenix Suns history, given where he was drafted as well as his innate talent/athletic ability.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:45 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:53 pm
They're not playing him enough minutes, sharing the ball with him or letting him play aggressive. It's not his fault!

/s
Exactly. He just needs 36 minutes of ineffective soft play, 26 ain’t enough!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:55 pm
I'm starting to wonder if he already is or will end up being the most disappointing player in Phoenix Suns history, given where he was drafted as well as his innate talent/athletic ability.
It's sad to even consider this. Also, lets not forget than Dragan Bender went 4th.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:23 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:55 pm
It's sad to even consider this. Also, lets not forget than Dragan Bender went 4th.
So did Josh Jackson…he’s the most disappointing for me. I never thought Bender was that good, that draft was weak(at the time, in retrospect it looks pretty good with a lot of later steals). Ayton is at least a good player, Jackson and Bender weren’t nba players and we took them top 4 in back to back drafts.