Game Day: Suns (8-4) @ Heat (6-7), Mon 11/14/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-4) @ Heat (6-7), Mon 11/14/22

Post by ShelC »

Positive recap - Hard fought game, encouraging production from the bench guys, nice bounce back game from Mikal and Book did all he could. The FT disparity should tell us everything we need to know. Last game of a 4game road trip and we've been undermanned multiple games. Once we get healthy, we're right back where we should be.

"Other" recap - There's no such thing as moral victories. We couldn't defend scrubs like Caleb Martin or Duncan Robinson, blew a 4th quarter lead, Monty had TOs he didn't use, Payne sucked and the Heat were without Tyler Herro. This team isn't going anywhere and the roster is a failure so it's probably best to just pack it in and start the rebuild now instead of waiting a year or two. Monty needs to do a better job coaching or get someone in who will. Same with Jones who's had 2 years to find a legit 2nd option and has blown multiple draft picks and trade opportunities. This franchise needs to get its shit together.

Split T

Post by Split T »

So are you positive or “other” haha…

Personally I’m not gonna get worked up by 1 game. This isn’t the team that we will go to the playoffs with. No CP3, no CamJ, no Crowder replacement. Definitely some things we can learn from the game, but ultimately we just got an unfriendly whistle and Payne had a bad game. Loved the DWJ explosion and I hope we get more of him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's easy to criticize after the fact, but Monty playing Book the entire 2nd half with no rest seems like a mistake.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:50 am
It's easy to criticize after the fact, but Monty playing Book the entire 2nd half with no rest seems like a mistake.
Ya these regular season games aren’t that important. Let DWJ see if he can cook for a few minutes like he did in the first half

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I missed the end of the game unfortunately, but I just didn't feel good about how it was going, even though I saw DWJ go nuclear for a short period of time. How does an NBA team only shoot 4 FTs in a game, with how physical it was?

I thought the Heat arena was going to lose it's name of FTX Arena back in 2020, because of shady stuff? I see that it's still named that? The recent news of FTX bankruptcy, and all the crap coming out from it makes me think that it should have been taken down back then.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

This team is lost. We’re toast in the playoffs without roster moves

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:00 am
Positive recap - Hard fought game, encouraging production from the bench guys, nice bounce back game from Mikal and Book did all he could. The FT disparity should tell us everything we need to know. Last game of a 4game road trip and we've been undermanned multiple games. Once we get healthy, we're right back where we should be.

"Other" recap - There's no such thing as moral victories. We couldn't defend scrubs like Caleb Martin or Duncan Robinson, blew a 4th quarter lead, Monty had TOs he didn't use, Payne sucked and the Heat were without Tyler Herro. This team isn't going anywhere and the roster is a failure so it's probably best to just pack it in and start the rebuild now instead of waiting a year or two. Monty needs to do a better job coaching or get someone in who will. Same with Jones who's had 2 years to find a legit 2nd option and has blown multiple draft picks and trade opportunities. This franchise needs to get its shit together.
Maybe try something in between. :D
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:26 am
The team is lost? LOL. I guess you didn't watch the game. No idea what you're talking about.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:26 am

Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: [to Boon] Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm just stirring the pot a bit with the "other" recap. I think Monty wanted the fellas to figure things out and make a play at the end. Goes along with the "winning without CP" strategy we've heard/talked about. Trial by fire, we've said it's worth sacrificing some regular season games if it makes us better in the future. And some coaches don't like taking TOs with a few seconds left on the clock as it lets the defense get set up and just getting the ball inbounds can be tough, so maybe that played a part in letting it go when we got the OR at the end and Book had the ball.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Booker with the sweet block! Then Booker gets stuffed on his 3 by Butler to end the game. Oooph.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

I think it's good we're showing our flaws in the regular season.
Last season we did too well, nad come playoff time thought the team was ready. Now we can go to the playoffs but Jones has to make a move to improve the roster before the playoffs begin.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Or just fucking try something different to develop for the playoffs,give DA looks in the post or force feed Mikal off the elbow. Let them fail because they’re growing, not fail because we’re doing the same shit as the last two years that didn’t work!!! How many times are we just going to wait for booker to get fucking trapped and panic. Then the guys surrounding him are a deer in headlights because the game plan was to stay the hell away from the ball..

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:20 pm
Booker with the sweet block! Then Booker gets stuffed on his 3 by Butler to end the game. Oooph.
Very physical defense by Butler and excellent. He timed his jump perfectly for the block. Can't remember if Book head faked or not. Would have been a good option to try to get the foul on Butler when he's playing that tight.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:47 pm
Or just fucking try something different to develop for the playoffs,give DA looks in the post or force feed Mikal off the elbow. Let them fail because they’re growing, not fail because we’re doing the same shit as the last two years that didn’t work!!! How many times are we just going to wait for booker to get fucking trapped and panic. Then the guys surrounding him are a deer in headlights because the game plan was to stay the hell away from the ball..
I thought Payne lost his aggressiveness at the end. They can't let the other team focus on Book. The others need to be able to produce at the end of games.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:05 pm
specialsauce wrote:
I thought Payne lost his aggressiveness at the end. They can't let the other team focus on Book. The others need to be able to produce at the end of games.
Didn't he go 1-7 in the 4th, and wasn't facilitating to really anyone else like Ayton or Mikal? I could be wrong, as I am going by what I was told on this. I'm guessing that may have something to do with it.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:10 pm
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Didn't he go 1-7 in the 4th, and wasn't facilitating to really anyone else like Ayton or Mikal? I could be wrong, as I am going by what I was told on this. I'm guessing that may have something to do with it.
That's his problem. He's got to learn to be a shooter where the next shot is going in. I saw him get close to the rim at the end of the game and pass it back out. He's got to shoot that whether he's 1-7 or 7-1.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Payne tightened up at the end of the game. His runner/floater wasn't working and that's one of his shots.

The Lowry 3 towards the end of game was a backbreaker. He kind of sucked all game and then hit the big shot. Just one of those plays/players.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:17 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:10 pm
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
That's his problem. He's got to learn to be a shooter where the next shot is going in. I saw him get close to the rim at the end of the game and pass it back out. He's got to shoot that whether he's 1-7 or 7-1.
Didn't he go in and take a shot at the end, which he missed, but we were able to get the rebound and get it out to Book? I thought I saw that in the replay.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:

Have you been watching the games? We have been letting Mikal do a lot more and Booker actually handled the trap much better than usual against the Heat…so I’m not sure what you’re complaining about.