Game Day: Warriors (6-8) @ Suns (8-5), Wed 11/16/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Game Day: Warriors (6-8) @ Suns (8-5), Wed 11/16/22

Post by INFORMER »

LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:47 am
I like Landale's work rate, but the vaunted three-point range has yet to come into play ... he's 3-25 for the season. Oof ...
Yeah, that has been really disappointing. I'm hoping his stretch ability becomes a reality instead of just theoretical, but that is a pretty good sample size...
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:40 am
I feel like I can already see what's going to happen. We are going to have another strong regular season and finish #1 or #2 in the West. The Warriors will flounder and struggle all year and will fall to #7 or #8. And then we're going to have to face these effers in the first round of the playoffs as our "reward" for such a good record. Just our luck.

I was thinking that the Warriors will miss the playoffs, get the #1 pick, draft Wembanyama, and then everyone will be crying about the draft being rigged, blah, blah, blah.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

There's still time for Wiseman and Kuminga for sure, but they're not progressing or contributing in any meaningful way. I'm sure the Ws expected more than what they've gotten at this point, even just role players who can help by playing off of Curry and Klay and make it easier on them and Dray on defense. Hasn't happened yet and maybe by the time it does happen, it'll be too late during this final stretch on their careers.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I'm sure we've harped on this already but 14 points, 7 rebounds, 0 blocks, 0 STLs and 4 turnovers by our 7ft soft serve center is a joke. There was one stretch where Ayton would seal in the paint, raise his arm for the ball and they'd ignore him. Then they gave it to him a little later when he was deep and had position with Curry on him. Instead of rising up for the dunk, he let Curry keep him out of the lane with his forearm and Ayton clanked a 6ft hook shot over him. There's a reason guys are reluctant to waste a pass in the post only to watch Ayton go soft. There's a reason he only averages 1.7 FT's per game. He's SOFT AF.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Saw this this morning and it reminded me a lot of Ayton…only Ayton would miss the next basket because he took a fadeaway on Curry.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

KAT and Gobert have to develop a 2-man game; that is the only way it is going to work. The plays in that clip are promising, but they need to build on it.

Also, D'Angelo Russell is terrible.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:43 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:47 am
I like Landale's work rate, but the vaunted three-point range has yet to come into play ... he's 3-25 for the season. Oof ...
Yeah, that has been really disappointing. I'm hoping his stretch ability becomes a reality instead of just theoretical, but that is a pretty good sample size...
Yes….yes….join me

JACK landale

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:32 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:25 pm
I can’t be the only one who keeps thinking the Suns are the team wearing black.
I keep doing that too, but I do like the uniforms.
They aren't terrible but I keep looking at the wrong team so they gotta go. When I'm not focused it feels like a Heat alternate or I'm accidently watching a Thunder vs. Spurs game on a Monday night on League Pass. Yikes!
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

That was a fun one. Cam going off, Curry's 50 not being enough, Klay still butthurt about being washed, solid play from the role players, Mikal talking shit to Klay on the bench, Mark Jackson's delusion of Klay being the Warriors leading playoff scorer last year.

It had a little bit of everything.

And yes we still know who the weak link is on the team. Even at "max effort."
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I know everyone is saying it was directed to Klay, but I think it’s more likely it was either just directed at the bench in general or Ty Jerome/Donte Divencenzo who were both sitting next to Klay and are both former teammates and friends of Mikal.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:36 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:48 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:46 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:44 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:43 pm
Launching 3s instead of giving to DA who has had great position in post last 3 times down
We’ve given the ball to Ayton a ton this half and he’s been awful. Had curry on him just now and didn’t move him at all, just put up an awkward 10 foot hook that he missed badly.
I’m okay with that. I want to see us work through these now so in postseason it is a weapon that hopefully we’ve gotten comfortable with
You’re right, I just wanna see Ayton do something more than try his hook shot. He can get that shot against anyone. Let’s see him try and make a real move.
I know a lot people are speculating that Ayton’s ankle is still not 100% and that’s affecting a lot of his offensive and defensive movements. That would make sense but idk, man...

I’m not sure I really buy that. I’m sure it’s not helping things but idk.
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:58 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:54 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:28 pm
DA engaged tonight. Mr Max is here
For a quarter.
TBF, engagement wasn’t a problem for most of the game. It was mostly just playing poorly.
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:12 am
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:36 pm

DA - 7 combined FRBS. This is his worst stretch as a Sun. As soft as he’s been on offense (can someone please teach him a drop step), his effort on D has been embarrassing. He half-contests every shot. He’s the opposite of a deterrent. I’m not trying to be a shitposter after a great win, but this is all of our worst fears playing out. DA deserves to be roundly criticized for saying his goal was to get a second contract, getting that second contract and immediately loafing while taking up 30% of our cap.
The defense is so bad, to me it seems like he’s checked out on the team. He got his money but he felt disrespected in the process. I think he clearly wants to leave and I hope we move him. I’m beyond done. This has easily been his worst season for us.
Shockingly, I have to agree with FF for once.

Regarding DA, he was very active and engaged on both ends of the floor, so I don’t think he is “mailing it in because he got paid.” I don't see that at all. There has to be some other explanation, but I’m confident he will figure it out.

I did notice that he seemed to be defending a large number of shots last night, and it is very difficult to defend the shot and get the rebound, although he’s been able to do that at times. Maybe he needs to stop helping on D so much, as a couple of you said. But he did have some very good stops, and even shut down Curry a few times when nobody else could.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

To be fair, I hated Cam Payne too last season.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:36 pm
We are really trying to feed Ayton right now. He’s 1-4 with a turnover and a Craig turnover trying to get it to him on 6 possessions.
Yeah he struggled a bit, but so what? That's how you develop players. It's not going to help his confidence or motivation when he still worked hard to get into good position on the possessions after that and they refused to give it to him two possessions in a row.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:30 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:36 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:48 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:46 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:44 pm

We’ve given the ball to Ayton a ton this half and he’s been awful. Had curry on him just now and didn’t move him at all, just put up an awkward 10 foot hook that he missed badly.
I’m okay with that. I want to see us work through these now so in postseason it is a weapon that hopefully we’ve gotten comfortable with
You’re right, I just wanna see Ayton do something more than try his hook shot. He can get that shot against anyone. Let’s see him try and make a real move.
I know a lot people are speculating that Ayton’s ankle is still not 100% and that’s affecting a lot of his offensive and defensive movements. That would make sense but idk, man...

I’m not sure I really buy that. I’m sure it’s not helping things but idk.
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:58 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:54 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:28 pm
DA engaged tonight. Mr Max is here
For a quarter.
TBF, engagement wasn’t a problem for most of the game. It was mostly just playing poorly.
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:12 am
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:36 pm

DA - 7 combined FRBS. This is his worst stretch as a Sun. As soft as he’s been on offense (can someone please teach him a drop step), his effort on D has been embarrassing. He half-contests every shot. He’s the opposite of a deterrent. I’m not trying to be a shitposter after a great win, but this is all of our worst fears playing out. DA deserves to be roundly criticized for saying his goal was to get a second contract, getting that second contract and immediately loafing while taking up 30% of our cap.
The defense is so bad, to me it seems like he’s checked out on the team. He got his money but he felt disrespected in the process. I think he clearly wants to leave and I hope we move him. I’m beyond done. This has easily been his worst season for us.
Shockingly, I have to agree with FF for once.

Regarding DA, he was very active and engaged on both ends of the floor, so I don’t think he is “mailing it in because he got paid.” I don't see that at all. There has to be some other explanation, but I’m confident he will figure it out.

I did notice that he seemed to be defending a large number of shots last night, and it is very difficult to defend the shot and get the rebound, although he’s been able to do that at times. Maybe he needs to stop helping on D so much, as a couple of you said. But he did have some very good stops, and even shut down Curry a few times when nobody else could.
Agree. Watching Landale reject him on that drive and the other blocks he had were outstanding!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:45 pm
Split T wrote:
We are really trying to feed Ayton right now. He’s 1-4 with a turnover and a Craig turnover trying to get it to him on 6 possessions.
I feel like his hook shot is way less automatic than last year.
It was the center of the lane hook shot that was automatic last year. He hasn't been taking that this year hardly at all for some reason. It seems like he isn't usually in the middle of the paint or able to get there, and the times when he is they don't give him the ball.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:34 am
I'm sure we've harped on this already but 14 points, 7 rebounds, 0 blocks, 0 STLs and 4 turnovers by our 7ft soft serve center is a joke. There was one stretch where Ayton would seal in the paint, raise his arm for the ball and they'd ignore him. Then they gave it to him a little later when he was deep and had position with Curry on him. Instead of rising up for the dunk, he let Curry keep him out of the lane with his forearm and Ayton clanked a 6ft hook shot over him. There's a reason guys are reluctant to waste a pass in the post only to watch Ayton go soft. There's a reason he only averages 1.7 FT's per game. He's SOFT AF.
It is statistically not a waste of a pass if he still shot 50% even on a bad shooting night. And the 0 blocks claim is a joke, if you watched the game.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:36 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
It is statistically not a waste of a pass if he still shot 50% even on a bad shooting night. And the 0 blocks claim is a joke, if you watched the game.
It’s a block conspiracy huh! Lol now we’re really grasping here.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:36 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
His numbers sucked last night, yet again. Less than 2 FT's a game is pathetic. 4 turnovers and no blocks or steals. 7 rebounds? His season average for rebounds is less than 8. I guess if we gave him the ball more he'd have more rebounds and start dunking and getting to the FT line... :roll:

1.6 FT attempts per game. 1.6. WTF.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:32 pm
Split T wrote:
Yeah he struggled a bit, but so what? That's how you develop players. It's not going to help his confidence or motivation when he still worked hard to get into good position on the possessions after that and they refused to give it to him two possessions in a row.
I don’t think giving him the ball and letting him take hook shots over smaller players is much in the way of development. If that’s all he’s gonna do and miss the shot anyways, that’s not helping. I’m all for feeding him the ball if he’s making them, but when he’s not you gotta try something else. Now if he’s putting the ball on the floor or bullying these little guys underneath the rim and missing I can live with that. He’s then at least trying to expand his game and learn something.

90% of big men would either get an easy dunk/lay-in or a foul when in the post with Curry on them…How did Ayton end up with a 10 foot hook? It’s indefensible