Jae Crowder trade request

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Jae Crowder trade request

Post by ShelC »

Still strange that ATL is looking to move him so soon after that signing that deal. They were in the same spot as we were with DA with negotiations and are now willing to trade him when he should be a part of their young core running with Trae and DMurray. Another red flag for me is that he was suspended for PEDs, similar to DA. Just seems risky.

$66 over 4 for Cam is probably on the lower end of the spectrum, I thought $75mil seemed about right. Now he's injured and we're still not sure if he can handle the 4spot longterm. I think the team wants him around as a running mate with Book and Mikal, but aren't going to go above and beyond and not when he still might be best suited as a tweener off the bench.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

TOO wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:11 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:06 am
Why is Kuzma so desired? I'm trying to understand what everyone is thinking.
Hes just a pretty good basketball player. Would fit the offense very well.
WHy is he desirable?

1. He's 6-9, giving him legit PF height

2. He's decent offensively. He can pass the ball well for a big, and scores at a reasonably efficient clip

3. He's a better than advertised defender. His DRPM on a bad team was 2.32 (which is actually hard to achieve, since RPM is affected by team quality)

4. He's got 3-point range. OK, he's a 33% shooter, but you can't just leave him all alone on the perimeter

5. He's a good rebounder, unlike Johnson. Kuz is averaging 8.1 RPG, more than the taller Collins.

That said, I'd take Collins happily as well. Crowder, Saric, and Shamet for Collins works salary-wise.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Sign me up for Collins only if DA’s money is going out. Otherwise too much $$ locked into a mediocre front court.

I’ll happily take Kuz or Barnes but I would prefer to hold onto the first rounders until the trade deadline to see if we can pry a big fish instead

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I haven't been very seriously thinking about Kuzma, but honestly I just kind of wrote him off and haven't been paying attention to him lately. He's playing really well it looks like. Some current stats:

18.3 ppg on 45/32/74% splits; 8.1 rpg; 3.1 apg.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... aky01.html

I wish his 3-point shooting were a little better, but otherwise those are phenomenal numbers. He's shot 3s better a few years ago (36% at his best in 2021) so maybe he would shoot better with more open looks, but he's not a knock-down shooter in any case.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

pickle

Post by pickle »

I don’t get what the news reporting means when it says we are interested in Collins but don’t want the long term money. That seems to mean we aren’t interested in Collins, no?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:45 pm
Makes a lot of sense. I wonder if JJ is leaking stuff now.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

FYI

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:47 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:23 pm
BTW, I am a little worried about trading Crowder where he ends up in Milwaukee. They are arguably the best team in the East this year, and if we are so lucky as to make a deep playoff run ourselves, we may be helping our Finals opponent. Is that wise?
Eh, if we make the finals we can deal with that problem. I’d be pretty happy just to be in the finals.
I actually agree with Mori's point. Crowder is exactly what Milwaukee needs, so unless we are getting something that makes us significantly better, I wouldn't facilitate Milwaukee acquiring him.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:59 am
Thought…what if it’s a 3 team deal:

Crowder and 2 1sts to Atlanta
Collins to Washington
Kuzma to Phoenix.

With a 1st coming from each team. Is that fair for everyone? Could switch out Kuzma for Barnes as well. We’d need to add a contract in both cases I believe.
I think Kuzma would be a solid addition, but giving up a first for him would be way too costly.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:41 am
Would love to get Collins. But we'd probably have to include multiple 1st round picks.
Collins is averaging 12 ppg and 7 rpg. No one should give up multiple 1st round picks for that.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:01 am
Still strange that ATL is looking to move him so soon after that signing that deal. They were in the same spot as we were with DA with negotiations and are now willing to trade him when he should be a part of their young core running with Trae and DMurray. Another red flag for me is that he was suspended for PEDs, similar to DA. Just seems risky.
Collins is struggling because they now have two ball dominant guards. He is more scorer than spot-up shooter, so he really isn't a good fit with their new backcourt. He catches lobs, but that is about it in terms of meshing with the Young/Murray duo.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Robert Covington has fallen out of the rotation in LAC. A Crowder-Covington swap may make sense for both teams.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Collins is in the 2nd year of a $125 million contract. Are we sure Suns up in the air ownership wants to take that on?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Hawks were supposedly having trade talks about Collins at last year's deadline and over the summer. Kings, Wizards, Sixers...feels like they were in the same spot we were with DA where they didn't really want him but also didn't want to let him go outright so signed him to a deal to try and trade later on.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:01 pm
Collins is in the 2nd year of a $125 million contract. Are we sure Suns up in the air ownership wants to take that on?
The money is fine as long as they move Ayton, IMO.

Tobias Harris is probably the more likely target though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:41 pm
Robert Covington has fallen out of the rotation in LAC. A Crowder-Covington swap may make sense for both teams.
I’d be fine with this

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:33 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:47 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:23 pm
BTW, I am a little worried about trading Crowder where he ends up in Milwaukee. They are arguably the best team in the East this year, and if we are so lucky as to make a deep playoff run ourselves, we may be helping our Finals opponent. Is that wise?
Eh, if we make the finals we can deal with that problem. I’d be pretty happy just to be in the finals.
I actually agree with Mori's point. Crowder is exactly what Milwaukee needs, so unless we are getting something that makes us significantly better, I wouldn't facilitate Milwaukee acquiring him.
I wouldn’t just send him there because he wants to go there, but if it returned us something useful I’d do it. I don’t need it to make us significantly better, just better.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:55 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:01 pm
The money is fine as long as they move Ayton, IMO.

Tobias Harris is probably the more likely target though.
Tobias is still a good player. I’d be more than happy to add him to the team. I am not sure Philly entertains moving him for Jae. Who would the third team be I wonder?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

pickle

Post by pickle »

I am confused by the general evaluation of Collins. At one point he was a stud, averaging 20/10 and shooting 40% from 3. As Inf said he’s a pretty decent scorer but maybe not a catch and shoot guy so he’s taken on smaller roles every year since that second season. So having said that, his current performance indeed doesn’t match that contract, but I would say he has a higher ceiling than all the other names available on the market, unless we count Miles Bridges. Why does it feel like everyone thinks he’s a bad contract and want to give up first rounders just to not get him at the same time?