Game Day: Suns (9-5) @ Jazz (10-6), Fri 11/18/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Suns (9-5) @ Jazz (10-6), Fri 11/18/22

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:29 pm
This loss was on Mori
No doubt. It was apparent to many of us immediately but alas it was too late. The damage had been done.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:54 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:35 pm
Before Book's putback at the buzzer, Deandre Ayton scored or assisted on 5 of our last 6 baskets.

EDIT: That was all of our baskets after Ayton entered in the 4th with 9:12 left, down 7.
He had a good game.
Definitely his best game of the season.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:32 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:54 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:35 pm
Before Book's putback at the buzzer, Deandre Ayton scored or assisted on 5 of our last 6 baskets.

EDIT: That was all of our baskets after Ayton entered in the 4th with 9:12 left, down 7.
He had a good game.
Definitely his best game of the season.
That stat is also a commentary on how bad we were offensively in the 4th on the possessions where we did not play through Ayton. Starting with 8:44 left in the 4th (pretty sure most of these DA didn't touch the ball):
Bridges Lost Ball Turnover (P2.T12)
MISS Payne 10' Driving Floating Jump Shot
MISS Payne 11' Driving Floating Jump Shot
MISS Booker 25' 3PT Pullup Jump Shot
Payne Bad Pass Turnover (P3.T13)
MISS Booker 11' Pullup Jump Shot
MISS Booker 26' 3PT Jump Shot
MISS Payne 25' 3PT Running Jump Shot
MISS Payne 10' Driving Floating Bank Jump Shot
MISS Craig 25' 3PT Step Back Jump Shot
MISS Bridges 1' Driving Reverse Layup
Payne Traveling Turnover (P4.T14)
MISS Lee 28' 3PT Pullup Jump Shot
Payne had the one unassisted bucket and Booker had 2 free throws in there, but that was it.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Watching Ayton's testicles descend was probably the highlight for me.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:02 pm
With great power comes great responsibility.
I did this. It is on me.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Damn we need a starting power forward... Craig is a backup who should play 15 mins max.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

This one is for not being ready to play at the opening tip. When you find yourself down 25-8 after 5 minutes you're fighting uphill the rest of the game. And if the Suns starters aren't getting it done, they don't really have anybody on the bench who is very dependable.
Last edited by The Bobster on Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shit start that forced us to work that much harder to make it a game. The Jazz were on fire and we had no answer for Larry Bird apparently. Maybe we were a bit tired to start the game and it took us a quarter to get going while the Jazz found their rhythm early. Maybe we took them too lightly, maybe it was the altitude that took some adjusting to. We got beat too many times on backdoor plays where they had no one near them in the paint. It looks like the Jazz are the upstart, pain-in-the-ass team this year. If they keep this up and make the playoffs, they'll be the team no one wants to play.

We fought and battled for sure but the 1st quarter really set us back and we couldn't get consecutive stops and scores consistently. We're not a volume 3pt shooting team so it's hard to beat a team when they make 16 of them. Probably should've looked to DWJ more for some bench scoring and to spell Book but tough to do in such a close game. Monty may have overthought a bit using that last TO after not using it in Miami - we had the Jazz in transition and Book had the ball with 5 seconds left, I'd have taken my chances in that situation rather than let the Jazz get set. But again, a learning experience without Chris Paul - we're not the same crunch time team we've been.

Lee and Craig came thru again with solid games tho Craig had trouble with Lauri (like everyone else). Payne was solid but had foul trouble. Okogie might've helped on the perimeter but had 3 fouls in 3 minutes. Maybe he would've helped on Beasley.

Say what you want about DA's near triple double and he played well late, but he shit the bed early and was sleepwalking and playing soft for the better part of 3 quarters.
Last edited by ShelC on Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I think I'm with the majority that have found Ayton's play underwhelming, but I also think we need to play Ayton a lot more minutes and use him more creatively. I just think we need to try something to get him rolling. He should be getting the same amount of minutes Booker and Bridges are getting.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Maybe his ankle is still bothering him? Not sure.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Suns still having defensive issues.
While Markkanen played well, there were at least three times when he went unfettered to the hoop for an easy layup.
And Beasley had far too many open looks for threes.

On the plus side, Suns almost won, being down three of top six guys (Johnson, Paul, Crowder).
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Fan of Markkanen, mentioned him last week but geeez can't believe how he torched us last night.
As 'Laz' said, 3 or 4 blown switches in one game for us is quite shocking
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Have enjoyed C-Payne stretch of play but listen to him or any of the other players/coaches and they all say the same thing "His pace, energy" - guys call him Turbo and that's great to see for let's say 44mins......

It is proving to become an issue in late games because he's still going 100mph and his shot selection hasn't been ideal.

That's when Book needs to be the cool head out there but problem been that while Payne goes too fast, Book sometimes waits too long 🤐🤦🏾‍♂️.

He needs to be getting the ball in motion and not standing at the top. I think sometimes Payne doesn't hit him early enough on the cross screen or pin down so then Book comes all the way out to get the ball then it's that iso thing that don't think much of us on here like to see

Work in progress tho

Split T

Post by Split T »

Missed the game, but being in Utah, I’m certain to hear a lot about this one…was really hoping we could pull it off.

Questions…were they doubling Ayton? Why did he get 8 assists? It almost feels like last game we said, let’s put Mikal in playmaking situations and this time we put Ayton in them. Promising if true, we need to develop those.

Jazz shoot a bunch of 3s and shoot a high percentage. Markkanen was like 15/18 from the field? How does that happen? How did he get his points? Is he scoring off the dribble? Rolling? Popping? Spot up? Cutting? I kinda feel like you could slow this jazz team down by just switching everything. Outside of Clarkson/Sexton they don’t really have a guy that can make you pay for switching…unless Markkanen is doing things against smaller guys. Just a thought…I feel like what they are doing is fun and a nice story, but they won’t make any noise in the postseason if they sneak in.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Didn't get to post about Warriors game but DA surely didn't do enough against their small ball and saw we had the Do the guys not get him the ball/should he get the ball debate going

Last night I think he was playing with "Force" and we should run something more than the high screen out top. I criticized Wolves for not trying to post KAT while Cam J was torching them and although Markkanen is bigger it's the same thought process
He got to spend way too many minutes on DA and like I said running the high screen and trying to hit DA sealing the guard before getting 3secs doesn't happen often (blame whoever)

But just give dude on the left block a couple times, he was actually dropping his shoulder into defenders last night. Going back to the hook most the time, still would love a drop step move once in a while instead of the fade but yeah.....

Thought we could have beat up on Markkanen some

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:25 am
Missed the game, but being in Utah, I’m certain to hear a lot about this one…was really hoping we could pull it off.

Questions…were they doubling Ayton? Why did he get 8 assists? It almost feels like last game we said, let’s put Mikal in playmaking situations and this time we put Ayton in them. Promising if true, we need to develop those.

Jazz shoot a bunch of 3s and shoot a high percentage. Markkanen was like 15/18 from the field? How does that happen? How did he get his points? Is he scoring off the dribble? Rolling? Popping? Spot up? Cutting? I kinda feel like you could slow this jazz team down by just switching everything. Outside of Clarkson/Sexton they don’t really have a guy that can make you pay for switching…unless Markkanen is doing things against smaller guys. Just a thought…I feel like what they are doing is fun and a nice story, but they won’t make any noise in the postseason if they sneak in.
Some blown assignments on Lauri but most of it was his ability to shoot over the top. Torrey isn't tall enough, couple times it was Dario who's too slow but the kid just had it going - 7ft shooter is a handful man

Beasley hitting seven 3s with maybe 5 not hitting the rim I would say should be switches as you mentioned. Think we were asleep on some weakside screens and just not closing out hard enough. Think Beasley only dribble drive twice or something

I was more annoyed when Sexton, Horton-Tucker scored because their shot selection ain't good. Were just dribbling head down not looking to pass as EJ mentioned a bunch and we never rotated for a charge, if they combined for 15pts it was 15 too much smh 😏😏

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh yeah
Wish Book took some better shots in the 4th because he really balled out last night. Even when we were in down 20-5 or whatever he was making some beautiful dishes out to shooters, just the guys were bricking

Then as we got in a rhythm, he quickly had 6 dimes
He really was carving up the D both passing and scoring.
16/31 shooting is legit but I'm fairly certain he was 13/22 going into the 4th
Monty took him out for all of a 1:30 or something

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:25 am

His assists were from handing off the ball like he always does at the elbow. Booker just happened to be on fire hitting shots right after he got the ball. Nothing fancy. Couple times he got the offensive rebound and passed to a 3 point shooter instead of going back up with it like we’d like for him to do.

He still just stood around at the free throw line and watched a bunch of offensive rebounds by Utah over Bridges and Craig.