Supreme Court

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Supreme Court

Post by Nodack »

It’s a statement. A government by the people for the people. A million people were willing to sign that petition expressing their displeasure in his actions.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:53 am
It’s a statement. A government by the people for the people. A million people were willing to sign that petition expressing their displeasure in his actions.
Did a million people really sign it? I honestly find that doubtful. A million people is quite a lot of people. I suspect somebody wrote some kind of astroturfing script that submitted lots of fake signatures or something. I'm not saying that there aren't a bunch of people who are mad at Clarence Thomas. But a million just seems farfetched.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And even if they did, it is less than one third or one percent of the population where he presides.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Then I guess people are ok with the Supreme Court decision and I can accept that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:11 pm
Then I guess people are ok with the Supreme Court decision and I can accept that.
lol not what I was saying. but internet petitions usually don't hold any weight. we would have to make sitting members of congress fear for reelection if they didn't take actions on this. And unfortunately 65% or so are nearly guaranteed to win their next election, or are far enough away from their election where it won't matter.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They never actually investigated Kavanaugh. They just gathered up some messages, forwarded them to the WH, and then were told to look no further.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I love Al Franken. Sad that he got canceled and is no longer there to talk sense into any of these people.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

An ‘Imperial Supreme Court’ Asserts Its Power, Alarming Scholars
https://dnyuz.com/2022/12/19/an-imperia ... -scholars/
“It is a court that is consolidating its power, systematically undercutting any branch of government, federal or state, that might threaten that power, while at the same time undercutting individual rights.”

Justice Elena Kagan noted the majority’s imperial impulses in a dissent from a decision in June that limited the Environmental Protection Agency’s ability to address climate change.

“The court appoints itself — instead of Congress or the expert agency — the decision maker on climate policy,” she wrote. “I cannot think of many things more frightening.”

“there are increasingly frequent indications that the court is establishing a position of judicial supremacy over the president and Congress.”

Nor does the Supreme Court seem to trust lower federal courts. It has, for instance, made a habit of hearing cases before federal appeals courts have ruled on them, using a procedure called “certiorari before judgment.” It used to be reserved for exceptional cases like President Richard M. Nixon’s refusal to turn over tape recordings to a special prosecutor or President Harry S. Truman’s seizure of the steel industry.

Before 2019, the court had not used the procedure for 15 years, according to statistics compiled by Stephen Vladeck, a law professor at the University of Texas at Austin. Since then, he found, the court has used it 19 times.

The court has been, “increasingly setting aside legally significant decisions from the lower courts as if they had never happened, invalidating them in brief procedural orders.”

“The Roberts court, more than any other court in history, uses its docket-setting discretion to select cases that allow it to revisit and overrule precedent,”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This seems pretty corrupt.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... gop-donor/
“Early in my tenure at the Court, I sought guidance from my colleagues and others in the judiciary, and was advised that this sort of personal hospitality from close personal friends, who did not have business before the Court, was not reportable.

Harlan Crow, a Dallas-based real estate developer has donated millions to conservative causes, paid for Thomas to join multiple vacations, including trips on Harlan’s private jet and 162-foot yacht.

Someone told me it was ok to accept gifts from rich Republican donors as long as I call them my friends so, I didn’t bother reporting it. I’m a Supreme Court judge. How was I supposed to know that would be inappropriate?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Republicans are gross.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He's corrupt.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:18 pm
He's corrupt.
We should have seen this coming…. Read the tea leaves or in his case the pubic hair on the coke can.
Last edited by Kryptonic on Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So I guess the billionaire who flies Justice Thomas out to these fancy vacations for free, who also then argues cases before the Supreme Court that Thomas rules on (100% in the billionaire's favor in cases he has brought, hmm), also collects Nazi memorabilia?

I'd think it would be fairly common sense to block SCOTUS Justices from receiving gifts like this from folks who are going to be ARGUING CASES before the Court. I mean, come on. That isn't about being blue or red, conservative or liberal. If somebody found out that a liberal justice were being wined and dined every year secretly by George Soros, wouldn't they raise all hell, justifiably?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This Clarence Thomas stuff just keeps getting deeper and deeper. It sure seems like the dude is corrupt and compromised.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The band leader I play with in the Hamptons has a six figure job in advertising as well. He is a guitar player like me and sometimes likes to do nice things for me. He offered to buy me a new expensive guitar just because and I said no thank you. He wanted to go to Hawaii and pay for mine and everyone else’s trip for them. I said no thank you. I don’t like receiving expensive gifts from people. It makes me feel like I owe them and I don’t like owing anyone.

Clarence Thomas is a Superior Court Judge. They are paid handsomely if I am not mistaken. Does he really need to have other people pay for his vacations? Thomas excepting these gifts shows zero ethics and that is very bad for a Superior Court Judge.
Last edited by Nodack on Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:48 pm
The band leader I play with in the Hamptons has a six figure job in advertising as well. He is a guitar play like me and sometimes likes to do nice things for me. He offered to buy me a new expensive guitar just because and I said no thank you. He wanted to go to Hawaii and pay for mine and everyone else’s trip for them. I said no thank you. I don’t like receiving expensive gifts from people. It makes me feel like I owe them and I don’t like owing anyone.

Clarence Thomas is a Superior Court Judge. They are paid handsomely if I am not mistaken. Does he really need to have other people pay for his vacations? Thomas excepting these gifts shows zero ethics and that is very bad for a Superior Court Judge.
Exactly...

It's also a huge issue to have these people serving for life... There should be term limits just like everything else. Our country shouldn't be held hostage by a lame duck court because they want to play politics, or their spouses want to get involved in insurrections.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Chief Justice, Supreme Court $286,700