"Just another game" *Early Start* Game Day: Suns (35-29) @ Mavericks (33-31), Sun 3/5/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: "Just another game" *Early Start* Game Day: Suns (35-29) @ Mavericks (33-31), Sun 3/5/23

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:01 am
This is funny.
Meanwhile Kyrie continues up the court with the Suns trying to talk...
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Re: "Just another game" *Early Start* Game Day: Suns (35-29) @ Mavericks (33-31), Sun 3/5/23

Post by bajanguy008 »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:24 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:47 pm

AN INDIRECT TAUNT!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
This was the dumbest tweet from a national media member (non-Fox Sports) that I’ve seen in a long time.
Yeah 'Bazz
Love the fact that you knew it was necessary to exclude Fox Sports :lol: :twisted:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Luka was pushing off and extending his arm all game. He was doing to Okogie, who's no lightweight either. Just a joke of a game from the refs giving him all those calls.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:26 am
Wally_West wrote:
I’m not saying we won because of Ish but we don’t win without him. Pretty good for someone who supposedly isn’t an nba player, and didn’t deserve a roster spot…according to some. ;)
He was huge. Suns were searching all game for someone who could play credible D and hit open 3s and he delivered in a big way.
His most impactful game as a Sun.

Monty is going to need to figure out a rotation he’s comfortable with. Playing 11-12 guys each night is not a good thing. They need to develop a chemistry and rhythm going into the playoffs.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I think they’re still trying things out. But yesterday was Monty Coaching to win 1 game. Okogie was bricking every open look he got, not to mention the ones he passed up on. He just didn’t have it. Had he just made 3 out of 8. It would have been a different game. It happens, sometimes it’s not your day. Going to Ish was a good call. This is what depth is for.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:26 am
Wally_West wrote:
I’m not saying we won because of Ish but we don’t win without him. Pretty good for someone who supposedly isn’t an nba player, and didn’t deserve a roster spot…according to some. ;)
He was huge. Suns were searching all game for someone who could play credible D and hit open 3s and he delivered in a big way.
On the road in big situations nonetheless.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

i don't know that we'll have consistency with that 5th starter - Okogie, Craig, Ish, Ross...it might be a by-committee type of thing depending on who's playing well, matchups, schemes, etc. Okogie's shot and overall offense has improved, but he still seems like a feast or famine type. Craig's the same way. Ish was really awesome yesterday the way he stepped up but not sure he's a night in-night out guy.

Props to Monty too for looking for that guy al game until he found him. Once Okogie got to 0-5, 0-6, 0-7 it probably became mental. And the Mavs schemed to get him those corner 3s same way they schemed to make Jae the open man last year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Our team after the trade was always going to be 4 guys plus whoever was playing well. Those last 3-4 playoff rotation spots are wide open. Now is the time to find out who it’ll be, so I’m all for trying out everyone

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:40 am
i don't know that we'll have consistency with that 5th starter - Okogie, Craig, Ish, Ross...it might be a by-committee type of thing depending on who's playing well, matchups, schemes, etc. Okogie's shot and overall offense has improved, but he still seems like a feast or famine type. Craig's the same way. Ish was really awesome yesterday the way he stepped up but not sure he's a night in-night out guy.

Props to Monty too for looking for that guy al game until he found him. Once Okogie got to 0-5, 0-6, 0-7 it probably became mental. And the Mavs schemed to get him those corner 3s same way they schemed to make Jae the open man last year.
I'm kind of surprised he didn't try Bazely last night, perhaps at the expense of Ross who clearly didn't have it. I feel like his length and shot blocking may have caused Luka more problems.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Ross was repeatedly beat when he was on defense and abused. He was a zero on offense. I haven't seen anything from him that makes me confident when he's on the floor.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:29 am
Our team after the trade was always going to be 4 guys plus whoever was playing well. Those last 3-4 playoff rotation spots are wide open. Now is the time to find out who it’ll be, so I’m all for trying out everyone
I think I like Okogie as the 5th starter, even with the poor shooting performance last night. You know you're always going to get the excellent defense and rebounding, and if the offense is clicking, then just chalk up the W at that point. But if it isn't, we have some other options to cycle through. But I think consistently starting with Okogie isn't a bad way to go.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:47 am
Split T wrote:
I think I like Okogie as the 5th starter, even with the poor shooting performance last night. You know you're always going to get the excellent defense and rebounding, and if the offense is clicking, then just chalk up the W at that point. But if it isn't, we have some other options to cycle through. But I think consistently starting with Okogie isn't a bad way to go.
Agreed. I think he is certainly the one who is most deserving of the spot given his play over the past few weeks.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Okogie sticks as the starter, his defense and athleticism are a big plus for us. But if he's struggling on offense and the team is taking advantage of it then Monty needs to look to others. He did as good a job on Luka as anyone despite all the pushoffs. Also thought he did well on Kyrie, with a highlight steal; you don't see defenders taking the ball from Kyrie like that as he's one of the best ballhandlers in the league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:47 am
Split T wrote:
Ya I’m Team start Okogie as well. But I think we’ll see times in the playoffs like last night where we pull him from the rotation for someone who’s playing well.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
I agree but I feel like that needs to be done over the stretch of the season not the course of a game.

So give Ross 20 mpg for a few games, and if he’s not cutting it then give TJ 20 mpg. Same thing with Ish, etc until you find a group of guys that you feel give you the best chance.

It’s hard to judge a collective group when they’re all getting 10-15 minutes with constant subs with different lineups

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:48 am
Split T wrote:
I agree but I feel like that needs to be done over the stretch of the season not the course of a game.

So give Ross 20 mpg for a few games, and if he’s not cutting it then give TJ 20 mpg. Same thing with Ish, etc until you find a group of guys that you feel give you the best chance.

It’s hard to judge a collective group when they’re all getting 10-15 minutes with constant subs with different lineups
That’s true. I think Monty really wanted to win this one and that’s why we saw it…but he has been playing quite a bit of guys in most games.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:24 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

AN INDIRECT TAUNT!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
This was the dumbest tweet from a national media member (non-Fox Sports) that I’ve seen in a long time.
Is he really a national media guy? He's stationed in Dallas and covers Dallas almost exclusively. His takes on the rest of the league are usually from that homeristic perspective, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

He works for espn, but ya he’s just a Dallas guy. He’s well connected to the national guys like Lowe and Windy though.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:58 am
He works for espn, but ya he’s just a Dallas guy. He’s well connected to the national guys like Lowe and Windy though.
You're right, I see him on there all the time. He's well respected, but he bloviates about the Suns, when he doesn't actually know anything about them and is just using his Mavs glasses to look at them and comment.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass