How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Post by Split T »

I don’t think that’s possible. His is fully guaranteed. Think it would be against the rules.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Yep. This isn't the NFL.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It’s also possible we could trade CP3 at the trade deadline as a large expiring contract.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We could, but I’d rather not wait till the deadline again to make our big move

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:37 pm
You don't wanna trade for Torrey Craig again?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I would rather not wait either. I still think there might be some team out there who would still trade for CP3 as a positive asset, without us having to include picks to get rid of him. I don't know if you can get a pick for him anymore, but you could still get rotation players perhaps.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Split T wrote:
You don't wanna trade for Torrey Craig again?
That kind of move I’m fine with. Running it back and trading for KD at the deadline is not what I want. Needs to make any big moves this summer

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Ok, could you negotiate KD's contract down by offering an extension? Same remaining money over 4 more years not 3? Its imperfect, but it could help the cap situation. As an incentive for Paul then perhaps match this, go for Paul's full 30, but over 4 years...the full 30 gives him incentive to take the bench role as he gets his full amount, but still saves you something like $7.5M. If you could pull this off, that would get you like $15M to start with...now if you can find a way to dump Shamet, that's get you around $25M to work with, maybe workable?

Split T

Post by Split T »

No you can’t renegotiate. No options on the deal either. Unless he quits basketball, he’s getting 47, then 51, then 54 million over the next 3 years. That number can’t change.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:49 pm
No you can’t renegotiate. No options on the deal either. Unless he quits basketball, he’s getting 47, then 51, then 54 million over the next 3 years. That number can’t change.
Than that's dumb...I get not being able to 'force' a player into accepting that, but if they're willing to cooperate to improve cap space, that should be between the team and player...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Waive KD and then re-sign him at the minimum! That is a thing that players love to do, I hear!

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:15 am
Split T wrote:
Than that's dumb...I get not being able to 'force' a player into accepting that, but if they're willing to cooperate to improve cap space, that should be between the team and player...
I believe harden did it…. There’s rules but it can be done between certain dates.

https://www.basketballinsiders.com/news ... -contract/

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

But you can’t renegotiate to make a players salary lower…. Dumb.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:14 am
Waive KD and then re-sign him at the minimum! That is a thing that players love to do, I hear!
Lol that would be hilarious. To us average folk…. We’d be content the rest of our lives with the money he’s made over the course of 5 seasons and would play for free in this situation…. To superstar athletes it’s all about the money flex.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:14 am
His money is all guaranteed, so that does nothing except give KD more money.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:29 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:15 am
Split T wrote:
I believe harden did it…. There’s rules but it can be done between certain dates.

https://www.basketballinsiders.com/news ... -contract/
But you can’t lower their salary number. It’s basically what Indy did with Turner last year. They used their cap space to pay him more money and then extend him in future seasons at a lower rate. So he got like a 2 year 60 million dollar extension, but they paid 20 million of it to him last season and made his salary cap numbers 20 million each of the next two years.

Not that it would help the current KD situation anyways, but you also couldn’t do it because KD already is making the max, so his salary can’t go up or down.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I guess I’m not the only one who thinks CP3 could be waived and still play here for less than 30 million. Video also gives some info that maybe Ayton isn’t leaving…

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Both sides came up with this contract with the options knowing it could get to this point. He's 38, can't make it through a season or the playoffs. It would have to be some kind of prearranged deal that doesn't get us in trouble where we waive him and pick him back up, but it's not like a team like the Magic are going to pick him up off waivers and expect him to play there. He'll only show up to play for a contender.

Split T

Post by Split T »

And we could use some or all of an exception to bring him back as well. Waive him, cut 7-10 million in some other way, then you can sign him with the BAE or part of the MLE. He’s been in the league so long that I don’t know the BAE is much of an increase. Last year a vet min deal for someone with 10+ years was 2.9 million(though it only counted against the cap for 1.8 million). So a vet min for CP3 would be about 3 million(it would count against the cap for whatever the 3rd year player min salary is, which should be about 1.9-2.0 million). BAE is only 4.2 million.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You can't use that exception on Chris Paul because Rubio is my BAE.