Frank Vogel hired as new Coach

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Frank Vogel hired as new Coach

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:50 pm

I don't know who this is but like the sentiment.
Apparently Ireland is the radio play by play guy for the Lakers.

https://arizonasports.com/story/3525274 ... els-staff/
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This Ireland dude loves Vogel. Just finished listening to the interview. Just says he's a great guy that everybody loves. Great defensive in-game adjustments.

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Interesting Fizdale hire. I remember he had a hot wife. Guessing they are bringing him so Shamet has a personal coach.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

I've been busy for awhile, great to be back. Hope all is well with you posters.

Now for my take. I love the Frank Vogel hiring. He's a defensive coach that makes in-game adjustments. That's what the Suns need. And Vogel loves big guys, so I'm interested in seeing what happens with Ayton. Can he motivate D.A ? Will the Suns trade him ? Can't wait to see what happens next.

The David Fizdale hire as an assistant is excellent. The coaching staff is coming together, now all we need are the players in place. I can't wait for next season :-)
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It will be interesting to see how the Suns navigate the Shamet Situation now that Williams is gone. How many more years is he under contract?

"Be Legendary."

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:03 pm
It will be interesting to see how the Suns navigate the Shamet Situation now that Williams is gone. How many more years is he under contract?
Pretty sure he has next year as the last guaranteed year in his contract, so he's essentially an expiring deal. I could be wrong though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yes, 1 guaranteed year…2 non-guaranteed years

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:50 pm
Interesting Fizdale hire. I remember he had a hot wife. Guessing they are bringing him so Shamet has a personal coach.
Given Shamet's work laying pipe on Monty's daughter, maybe Fizdale's wife will be his personal coach.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:56 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:51 pm
I really don't think the issue is that our point guard position isn't good enough. We just need more talent around Durant and Booker. I don't think that duo requires an all-star point guard.
Our point guard position is NOT good enough in the way that we need our PG to play currently.

Paul is not an off-ball PG. He’s a poor defender at this stage. He’s reluctant to take the catch and shoot 3. He doesn’t push the ball up the court.

We need a PG like Marcus Smart. Can drain the open 3, defend his position well and bring the ball up the court to give Book and KD a break.
Saucey Bringing the Sauce!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Ishbia is not afraid to spend money. We have the highest paid set of assistants, respective to their roles, to go with Vogel. Looking forward to seeing where this takes us. I am certain Ishbia knows the positions that need to be addressed (he was a walk on and national champion under a heralded college coach) and will spend where necessary with some input he'll provide as well. I assure you we won't have the shit guard depth we've seen these past 3 seasons next season.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

TOO

Post by TOO »

Vogel, KY, and Fiz still cost less than Landry Shamets future father in law.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:59 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:56 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:51 pm
I really don't think the issue is that our point guard position isn't good enough. We just need more talent around Durant and Booker. I don't think that duo requires an all-star point guard.
Our point guard position is NOT good enough in the way that we need our PG to play currently.

Paul is not an off-ball PG. He’s a poor defender at this stage. He’s reluctant to take the catch and shoot 3. He doesn’t push the ball up the court.

We need a PG like Marcus Smart. Can drain the open 3, defend his position well and bring the ball up the court to give Book and KD a break.
Saucey Bringing the Sauce!

:lol:

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Well, the arena just got prettier. I don't know if we need any more heat in Arizona though.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

They've predictably stated Vogel was the first option and it's likely none of us will ever really know for sure. I have to give Ishbones some credit for the moves. I really like how the coaching staff is turning out, and parting with Monty looks like the right choice now.

Will Young have the same type of freedom Kidd had under Vogel? Will Fizdale be Vogel's henchman and break Ayton's soul in the second week of training camp? These aren't going to be the same Suns we've been used to.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:49 am
They've predictably stated Vogel was the first option and it's likely none of us will ever really know for sure. I have to give Ishbones some credit for the moves. I really like how the coaching staff is turning out, and parting with Monty looks like the right choice now.

Will Young have the same type of freedom Kidd had under Vogel? Will Fizdale be Vogel's henchman and break Ayton's soul in the second week of training camp? These aren't going to be the same Suns we've been used to.
Agreed, on balance I think it was the right call to get rid of Monty .The team needed a new impetus and I think his grudges against certain players and favouritism when it came to others was having a negative impact on performance.

Like you, I think Ishbia deserves some credit for the coaching staff he has assembled. I like the way he stuck to his guns and brought in the coach he wanted but still had enough respect for Booker's opinion to keep Young around. Of course, if it all goes to shit during summer camp or the early weeks of the season I'll be regretting this post but I like what I'm seeing so far.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I like that he’s showing a major willingness to spend money