All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfanatic76

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Sunsfanatic76 »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:28 pm
Sunsfanatic76 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:29 pm
I was wondering if playing Eubanks at the 4 alongside of Ayton might be beneficial for us having him play in a weakside defender role and roaming around the paint if Ayton is being used out on the perimeter primarily in drop coverage schemes?
I think Metu is more likely to share the court with Ayton than Eubanks. But I could be wrong.
Sunsfanatic76 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:29 pm
Also this might also allow us to move Durant to the smal forward position to avoid having him play against the bigger, more physical forwards of the league reducing potential wear and tear and injury risks?
Well as things stand now, I think KBD will man the starting 4 spot, so yes Durant will be at the 3.
Thanks man! I'd just feel somewhat better IF Durant moved to the 3, not just to fill that gap, utilize his size advantage more, but also to minimize the durability concerns (given his slight frame) having to play against more physical, rugged 4/5's. I was curious about Eubanks because of his mobility, athleticism, and shooting 38% from three as a potential floor spacer in specific matchups. But could fully see the value of playing Metu defensively and for rebounding at the four too. ;)

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Cap wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:02 pm
There once was a poet named Vlad
Whose haikus were really quite bad
And now we’re having fun
Making fun of this one
The best time we’ve recently had
Yeah, this is fun.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:48 pm
Suns now have Big 3
But we pay four guys the max
Ayton go away
Suns now have Big 4
With one guy undervalued
Ayton is staying
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

JG Loves Trees (Haiku #2)

JG waters DA, (pronounced DUH, observation and bonus points to BK)
JG loves his plotted tree,
His mancrush swells huge
Last edited by Vladimir_Taltos on Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:04 pm
JG Loves Trees (Haiku #2)

JG waters DA,
JG loves his plotted tree,
His mancrush swells huge
That first line only works if you pronounce “DA” like “duh”.

Which, come to think of it, might not be a bad idea sometimes.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

One serious question. Would you rather pay Ayton what he is making or Sabonis 43.4mm per year for the next 5 years?

Might be time to stop thinking of Ayton as horribly overpaid, just borderline so.

Vladimir_Taltos

virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:55 am
One serious question. Would you rather pay Ayton what he is making or Sabonis 43.4mm per year for the next 5 years?

Might be time to stop thinking of Ayton as horribly overpaid, just borderline so.
Domantas Sabonis
19PTs/12 Reb per game...3Pt % 37%, 2Pt % 64%, 5.5FTAs at a FT% of 74%
~$19 Million/Year...but NOW going to $47M/yr...and I'm not sure I wouldn't consider that w/the differences in performance...much higher 3Pt % and he's more aggressive, which matters.
DA
18PTs/10 Reb per game...3Pt 29%, 2Pt % 60%, 3FTAs at a FT% of 76% (Corrected, misread rebounds...)...still, given I don't need the waterboy to wheel him around (Sabonis)...
~$33 Million/Year

Um...I'll take Sabonis every day and twice on Sunday...
Last edited by Vladimir_Taltos on Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

virtual9mm wrote:

Just because somebody else gave out a stupid contract doesn't make Ayton's contract good.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I will say Ayton’s deal is looking less problematic after the deals given out this weekend. Poeltl and López both got 20 million+

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:19 am
I will say Ayton’s deal is looking less problematic after the deals given out this weekend. Poeltl and López both got 20 million+
Given that any team needs to field a roster with a floor budget spending, having Ayton as your sole max contract or only bad contract (any way you wish to see it) it’s not that bad.

But when you are against the wall spending wise like the Suns are, resources ALLOCATION becomes far more important that value-in-a-vacuum. That’s why the smart thing to did, was to break his contract on 2-3 role players earning over the minimum. Suns did an amazing job filling the roster out of minimum contracts, but if it works on the court, they won’t be able to retain some, if any, of those signing.

Granted, if teams were lowballing the Suns on their Ayton’s offer, it was even smarter to hang onto him an filling the roster this way.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:19 am
And the cap is going to keep increasing. Which is why it would have been smarter to give him the 5-year max.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:08 am
virtual9mm wrote:

Domantas Sabonis
19PTs/12 Reb per game...3Pt % 37%, 2Pt % 64%, 5.5FTAs at a FT% of 74%
~$19 Million/Year...but NOW going to $47M/yr...and I'm not sure I wouldn't consider that w/the differences in performance...much higher 3Pt % and he's more aggressive, which matters.
DA
18PTs/7 Reb per game...3Pt 29%, 2Pt % 60%, 3FTAs at a FT% of 76%
~$33 Million/Year

Um...I'll take Sabonis every day and twice on Sunday...
In what universe does DA average 7 reb per game? You must be looking at Myles Turner’s stats or something.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Everyone said we couldn’t fill out the roster without getting rid of Ayton. I told you all we would be fine.

Vladimir_Taltos

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:27 pm
Everyone said we couldn’t fill out the roster without getting rid of Ayton. I told you all we would be fine.
And the Mancrush continues...

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:27 pm
We really don't know yet that the team is "fine". Like a lot of people on this message board, I'm intrigued with the possibilities of some of these potential 5th-9th guys that the front office picked up. But it's far from a guarantee that any of them will actually be playable in a playoff series, when it matters.

At least there's some time to evaluate and make changes during the season if it looks like it will be necessary. I think you still can't rule out trading Ayton at some point for role players that have a more-proven track record.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

It's still all about being healthy at playoff time.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:28 pm
It's still all about being healthy at playoff time.
Of course. Very underrated about Denver's run this year: none of the eight guys that were playing core minutes for them in the playoffs spent any time hurt. It looks like the rookie Braun (who played the fewest minutes of the eight) missed one game; outside of that they were startlingly healthy for a 20-game stretch.

I'm sure it helped that, other than the second-round series against the Suns, they were always playing with a significant rest advantage going into every series.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

IF Ayton buys in to Vogel and understands what a great situation he is in, he could have a career year. A lot of ifs but I'm feeling pretty good about this upcoming season based on what I know about the FAs we have acquired. And then Gordon was the cherry on top for me. This upcoming season on paper is probably our best shot at an NBA Championship in our 55 year history!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

As Bob said, health is always the X-factor. To that point, at least we no longer have to worry about leaning into Chris Paul ball only for him to eventually miss games in the Playoffs. I hope Kevin Young has something cooked up to balance the offensive workload.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:14 am
virtual9mm wrote:

Just because somebody else gave out a stupid contract doesn't make Ayton's contract good.
I do think that these huge contracts will become albatrosses.