All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:35 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:28 am
Whether or not a deal goes down, I'm not sure how fans can claim we haven't been shopping or looking to trade DA. It's been going on since the draft and we're clearly looking to move on from him for one reason or another - be it his play, his contract, whatever. If he were on solid ground here, there'd be no talk around him whatsoever and certainly no rumors about including him in a deal for Nurk.
Even Flex is still saying that we are not shopping him, that other teams are calling and we are listening. That's all. He says other teams are interested because of his Bahamas performance and because they saw what happened with Mikal after he left Phoenix. These teams are thinking that Ayton could be the next Mikal (meaning Suns/Monty was holding him back), per Flex.
So now you listen to flex? What about Gambo? He’s not saying no anymore. This is clearly real

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:36 am
He played 18 minutes per game in the Denver series…that’s not nothing.

You really thought Ayton was good against Denver?
It depended on the game in that series. I didn't say he was good. What I said was that Landale did not "outplay" him.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:31 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:51 am

If this is true, it changes things a bit. Maybe Nurkic isn’t as broken as I thought
The dude has averaged 38 games the last 4 years.
Counting the year he had a tib-fib fracture doesn’t seem fair. He’s averaged 54 games a year the last two..seems much more relevant. That moves up to 70 a year if those 33 games he sat so Portland can tank are taken out.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:37 am
JeremyG wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Whether or not a deal goes down, I'm not sure how fans can claim we haven't been shopping or looking to trade DA. It's been going on since the draft and we're clearly looking to move on from him for one reason or another - be it his play, his contract, whatever. If he were on solid ground here, there'd be no talk around him whatsoever and certainly no rumors about including him in a deal for Nurk.
Even Flex is still saying that we are not shopping him, that other teams are calling and we are listening. That's all. He says other teams are interested because of his Bahamas performance and because they saw what happened with Mikal after he left Phoenix. These teams are thinking that Ayton could be the next Mikal (meaning Suns/Monty was holding him back), per Flex.
So now you listen to flex? What about Gambo? He’s not saying no anymore. This is clearly real
Gambo is saying the same thing as Flex. They will listen to offers. Same as they always have.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:39 am
Split T wrote:

It depended on the game in that series. I didn't say he was good. What I said was that Landale did not "outplay" him.
Landale a +15.7 and Ayton a -4.2 seems to indicate you are wrong.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:42 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

Since when do you take +/- as gospel?

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:40 am
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Gambo is saying the same thing as Flex. They will listen to offers. Same as they always have.
Gambo is certainly saying something different than he was earlier this summer

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We're also not hanging up the phone and saying he's off limits. So clearly, we're open to moving him. Teams could call about Book and we'd hang up. We wouldn't listen.

And given how quickly we moved on signing Eubanks in FA, we're likely familiar with the Blazers roster. The FO/scouts may be aware of something we're not in terms of ability and/or fit. In terms of health, to me they're more freak injuries. A broken leg that kept him out a year and a wrist fracture that kept him out 2 months. He's not coming off of ACL or Achilles injuries or anything.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:43 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:42 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

Since when do you take +/- as gospel?
Single game +/- is certainly not great…But over a playoff series it means something. Not gospel, but something.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:43 am
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:40 am
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Gambo is certainly saying something different than he was earlier this summer
Different than mid-to-late June and on yes. But not different than what he said from mid-May to mid-June when he was expecting Ayton to get traded this summer.

I am confident Ayton will not be traded.

Split T

Post by Split T »

What makes you so confident? Sounds more like wishful thinking

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

BKinSJC wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:05 pm
I don't have anything to add to anything, I just want to be present for the miracle that is the 100th page of this seemingly unkillable comment thread.
Repeat the above, substitute "150th" in the appropriate spot. Thanks.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

BKinSJC wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:09 am
BKinSJC wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:05 pm
I don't have anything to add to anything, I just want to be present for the miracle that is the 100th page of this seemingly unkillable comment thread.
Repeat the above, substitute "150th" in the appropriate spot. Thanks.
We'll see you at 200! :lol:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
So now the narrative is that Monty held Mikal back? In what way, exactly?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Because Ayton and Mikal were boys and when Monty hurt Ayton's feelings; it hurt Mikals feelings too... I'm assuming.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:27 am
JeremyG wrote:
So now the narrative is that Monty held Mikal back? In what way, exactly?
I don't know, ask Flex. I'm assuming he's saying these teams believe that Mikal and DA were both held back through a combination of talent ahead of them and coaching.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Sorry, but nobody is thinking Ayton could be the next Mikal.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:

He was. Two years ago.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Carno

Post by Carno »

Split T wrote:

A comparison of Ayton at his worst and Landale at his best is not reasonable. Furthermore, comparing per 36 is disingenuous. Landale can't play like that for 36 mins.

Ayton is better than how he played vs Denver, and Landale is worse.

Ayton for Nurkic is a dumb trade. The only reason to do it is to get below the 2nd Apron. It won't benefit them much. Who would they get with the TPMLE? And, if they use it, then they are over the Apron again, so what's point?

I don't see a player that would be included that would move the needle. Caleb Martin isn't good enough. Maybe Hield (how exactly does Indy get involved?), but the Suns need high quality role players, which Hield is not good at.
Last edited by Carno on Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.