Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
TOO

Re: Coronavirus

Post by TOO »

Cap wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:36 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 am
Happy 4 year anniversary to this infamous press conference, where then-President Trump gave his medical advisors the brilliant suggestions to have people inject/drink bleach, and/or to beam light up people's asses, to fight COVID. This will go down in history as one of the stupidest things ever said or done by any President. Trump's response to COVID almost could not have been more botched.
Or his response to anything else. Whether it’s epidemiology, climate science, economics, national security or anything else, his approach is to do the opposite of whatever the experts recommend and then brag about how much smarter he is than the experts.
"I do my own research."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:36 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 am
Happy 4 year anniversary to this infamous press conference, where then-President Trump gave his medical advisors the brilliant suggestions to have people inject/drink bleach, and/or to beam light up people's asses, to fight COVID. This will go down in history as one of the stupidest things ever said or done by any President. Trump's response to COVID almost could not have been more botched.
Or his response to anything else. Whether it’s epidemiology, climate science, economics, national security or anything else, his approach is to do the opposite of whatever the experts recommend and then brag about how much smarter he is than the experts.
He is the biggest idiot of all idiots. It is AMAZING that 40% of our country wants this man to be POTUS!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Own the Libs is how you Maga.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Didn't want to make a whole new thread about this unless it becomes a bigger story. But there's a new bird flu, H5N1, that has been running wild and has more recently made its way into cows. Apparently traces of it have been found in milk products. Some are scared that this could lead to another bad outbreak or pandemic. But it sounds like maybe it is *so* widespread among cows that they are starting to develop some semblance of immunity to it? Going to keep an eye on this.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 pm
Didn't want to make a whole new thread about this unless it becomes a bigger story. But there's a new bird flu, H5N1, that has been running wild and has more recently made its way into cows. Apparently traces of it have been found in milk products. Some are scared that this could lead to another bad outbreak or pandemic. But it sounds like maybe it is *so* widespread among cows that they are starting to develop some semblance of immunity to it? Going to keep an eye on this.

Thanks Mori.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Cap

Post by Cap »

So, we’re drinking bird flu virus? Gross.

TOO

Post by TOO »

People still drink milk?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Almond milk ftw!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:59 pm
Almond milk ftw!
Tastes like baseball cards to me

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

TOO wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:25 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Almond milk ftw!
As I’m getting older and having to make diet adjustments I’m realizing none of it tastes good.

Eat shitty = Fat Ass
Eat Healthier = Not as fat ass :lol:

TOO

Post by TOO »

Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:43 pm
TOO wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
Almond milk ftw!
As I’m getting older and having to make diet adjustments I’m realizing none of it tastes good.

Eat shitty = Fat Ass
Eat ass = ???

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

TOO wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:59 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:43 pm
TOO wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
Almond milk ftw!

Eat shitty = Fat Ass
Eat ass = ???
LMAOROF

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The only real diet that works is the eat less food diet.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:36 am
The only real diet that works is the eat less food diet.
Eschew food altogether and subsist entirely on beer. It meets Nodack standards!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My approach to dieting is very unorthodox. I don't particularly try to ban certain foods or behaviors. But I do put up a few gentle roadblocks that make eating a bit more of a chore, or at least force me to reckon with what I'm eating. When I'm dieting, I do these three things only:

- Before eating anything, I have to write it down. This forces me to keep track of how much I've eaten, how many snacks, and makes it a little annoying (or even embarrassing) to have to write down "ate one Oreo."

- Whenever I eat anything, I must also drink a full glass of water. This makes me feel full faster, plus, it's good for me.

- When I eat, I must use my bad (right) hand to hold the fork. This slows me down and stops me from devouring too much food too quickly.

That's basically it. I don't forbid myself from eating particular foods, though I also don't go out of my way to buy/eat really bad-for-you stuff like McDonald's or pork rhinds.

I'm almost 45 and I have managed to mostly stay thin. Sometimes I go up or down a handful of pounds, but when I start to get concerned about it, I go a few weeks on the above restrictions and pretty quickly get back to the right range.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That's great that you've always kept up on it. I let myself go and it almost cost me my life. It took me three years to go from 218 pounds to 150 pounds but I finally hit my goal body fat percentage. I also don't have any off limit foods. It's just a matter of eating at a calorie deficit and exercising. I started strength training two years ago and that has helped a bunch and I highly recommend it. Fasting and Intermittent Fasting are the tools that helped me finish the deal.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's a piece by Zeynep Tufekci, a UNC prof who writes a lot about COVID and other viruses. She thinks H5N1 is going to be a problem. I find her stuff informative but take it with a grain of salt. For example, she's written a lot about "long COVID" and thinks it's a major epidemic problem, which seems a bit exaggerated to me. But her columns and tweets often have a lot of good info about the viruses she's covering.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

As this year rolls on I will keep posting examples of how badly Trump fucked up COVID and how many thousands of American deaths he is directly responsible for.

Here's a clip where he says that he won't give any aid to blue (Democrat) states unless they do something for him. Absolutely shameful thing for the President of the US to say during a pandemic.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yes, let's not forget the millions of Americans who died on his watch.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:45 am
Yes, let's not forget the millions of Americans who died on his watch.
It's their fault for getting that stupid shot. Sheep.

Oh wait...