2024 Suns General Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SunsSince92

Re: 2024 Suns General Offseason News

Post by SunsSince92 »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:50 am
KD for Randle is not something I would do. Now KD for Brunson I would do. I know you're not supposed to trade a big for a small but I'd do that. Little dude is a winner and would pair nicely with Book.
There's no way they are trading Brunson for KD.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:04 am
Superbone wrote:
KD for Randle is not something I would do. Now KD for Brunson I would do. I know you're not supposed to trade a big for a small but I'd do that. Little dude is a winner and would pair nicely with Book.
Probably not. I wouldn't either if I were NY. But I don't think Randle should be the target if we were to attempt a KD trade. Honestly, I don't think he's going anywhere.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:09 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:04 am
Superbone wrote:
Probably not. I wouldn't either if I were NY. But I don't think Randle should be the target if we were to attempt a KD trade. Honestly, I don't think he's going anywhere.
Yeah, it just makes no sense for them to trade their star for an aging KD. I totally agree on Randle, it would be a solid pass from me on that too.

It seems based on some of the reports coming out today that KD wasn't 'comfortable' playing with Book at times. If there is any truth to that it's difficult to see him sticking around.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

KD is just such a drag. We need to hit on the next coach if we're running the same core back, which I'd bet we are.

Unpopular opinion but I hope Jones is kept on and allowed to make the necessary changes. If he's just taking orders from others above or around him, then there's no point in having him.

The article from The Athletic spelled it all out. Vogel never figured things out, never really had the team bought in, then lost the players completely. It's been obvious for a while. He can't be back but we need to find a leader the players will respect and a guy who will get the most out of them. Lue's not perfect but he'd probably be the ideal guy if made available. Otherwise I don't know who can come in and I don't see a lot of roster moves that can be made. I do think we're better than we showed and I think a better coach can get more out of the roster.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Lue would make shit work. He coaches well without great point guards offense wise and gets his players to play smart on Defense and adapt accordingly.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:16 am
KD is just such a drag. We need to hit on the next coach if we're running the same core back, which I'd bet we are.

Unpopular opinion but I hope Jones is kept on and allowed to make the necessary changes. If he's just taking orders from others above or around him, then there's no point in having him.

The article from The Athletic spelled it all out. Vogel never figured things out, never really had the team bought in, then lost the players completely. It's been obvious for a while. He can't be back but we need to find a leader the players will respect and a guy who will get the most out of them. Lue's not perfect but he'd probably be the ideal guy if made available. Otherwise I don't know who can come in and I don't see a lot of roster moves that can be made. I do think we're better than we showed and I think a better coach can get more out of the roster.
I get the impression that part of the problem is that KD doesn't want to be coached. We had all the nonsense in Brooklyn with Kyrie and Nash and I'm willing to bet he was unenthused by the Vogel appointment and his focus on defence. If we do replace Vogel it needs to be for someone that's going to command respect from KD. In that regard I'm not sure Lue fits the bill. I suspect the only coaches he truly respects are Spoelstra and Pop, neither of whom are coming to Phoenix any time soon.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

TOO wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:41 pm
Awkward if the Lakers happen to win…

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Of all the basketball talk on Suns, it surprises me that Gil’s Arena articulated it best: that the Suns’ offense has struggled implementing the variety of sets for each of their stars often using Book like an AI and then just dump the ball to KD to iso or do a pick and pop. They described too much mixed matching using Book at point who plays like a shooting guard and Beal as shooting guard who defers like a point. Probably whats missing really has been the fact that Beal’s shot has gone missing since his injury. Anyway, for all the crazy Gil shit, his pod has held the most sensible and interesting discussion on Suns in a while. Everyone else just wants roast one person and who’s head should roll or expound upon the significance of KD or book being swept on their career.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The Phoenix Suns Are Screwed

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/ ... vin-booker
The Phoenix Suns are officially cooked. To wrap up a first-round series that rarely felt competitive, the most disappointing, financially reckless, and irredeemably forlorn team in the NBA was swept by the Minnesota Timberwolves on Sunday night. It was a muddy, physical affair that left no doubt about which team is superior.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:56 am

The Phoenix Suns are officially cooked. To wrap up a first-round series that rarely felt competitive, the most disappointing, financially reckless, and irredeemably forlorn team in the NBA was swept by the Minnesota Timberwolves on Sunday night. It was a muddy, physical affair that left no doubt about which team is superior.
It's rebuild time folks. :cry:

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

A lot of noise about how it's all Ishbias fault for meddling in all the roster construction and not Vogel or Jones fault... If true, I'm curious if Ishbia swallows his pride, digs his heels in and spends even more money. Is there anything other than money stopping him from going after anyone in free agency? With all of the bad publicity coming out and having this crap season, I can only hope.
Last edited by Kryptonic on Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:32 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

There’s really no great way to rebuild right now. Better off just running it back with a few tweaks.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:43 am
A lot of noise about how it's all Ishbias fault for meddling in all the roster construction and not Vogel or Jones fault... If true, I'm curious if Ishbia swallows his bride, digs his heels in and spends even more money. Is there anything other than money stopping him from going after anyone in free agency? With all of the bad publicity coming out and having this crap season, I can only hope.
Dude, that is cannibalism! I cannot stand idly by if he does this. Besides, I do not think it will make the Suns any better. I think it would be a poor choice.

"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 am
Kryptonic wrote:
A lot of noise about how it's all Ishbias fault for meddling in all the roster construction and not Vogel or Jones fault... If true, I'm curious if Ishbia swallows his bride, digs his heels in and spends even more money. Is there anything other than money stopping him from going after anyone in free agency? With all of the bad publicity coming out and having this crap season, I can only hope.
Dude, that is cannibalism! I cannot stand idly by if he does this. Besides, I do not think it will make the Suns any better. I think it would be a poor choice.
freudian slip... lol

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kryptonic wrote:
A lot of noise about how it's all Ishbias fault for meddling in all the roster construction and not Vogel or Jones fault... If true, I'm curious if Ishbia swallows his pride, digs his heels in and spends even more money. Is there anything other than money stopping him from going after anyone in free agency? With all of the bad publicity coming out and having this crap season, I can only hope.
Yes, there is something stopping Ishbia from going after free agents: the salary cap. We're way over it, so we can't really sign anybody. We're over the second tax apron, too, which means (among other restrictions) that we don't get a mid-level exception either. We also have some restrictions on trades, like whether we can combine players' salaries together in a deal. So it would be very hard to execute a full-on rebuild unless, for example, a team far under the cap was willing to just eat Brad Beal's contract without sending salary back. But I'm not sure there is such a team. (The Magic?)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:56 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 am
Kryptonic wrote:
freudian slip... lol
I won't tell your wife... my demands in exchange will be coming to your mailbox soon.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's hard to pin all the mistakes on one person. It could also be pinned on a number of people that haven't been around for a few years now. Look back at the decisions that McDonough did. The first round picks outside of Book weren't great(and that could have been called a fluke, since it was reported that they missed out on who they wanted and Book was the backup to the backup choice). The 2nd round picks were atrocious, and this was a direct indictment to the scouting staff, which then trickled down to the attitude that Jones has today with prospects and development, which led to Sarver eliminating the GLeague team, due to not getting the money's worth of investment. The head coaching hires were bad, up until Monty. Honestly, the only good decision was to build the practice facility and remodel the arena, and even then it was at least 5 years too late.

The first largest problem was that Sarver was an a-hole and the 2nd was that he was cheap and only in it for money. Ishbia fixed both of those right away. Did he overstep in trying to make a splash? I would say so, but he was hamstrung by a lot of past decisions. It's hard to fix the decision to not draft Haliburton, and instead sign Payne to a multi year contract, knowing that CP3's tread was on rapidly coming expiration date. That's just one decision that he was having to overcome and is still suffering from.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:50 am
Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:32 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

There’s really no great way to rebuild right now. Better off just running it back with a few tweaks.
The ringer has sucked for a while. This is just click bait using cursory stats and analysis to conclude what people want to read about KD for years. There’s excitement to be had shitting on KD. It’s followed KD since he left for GSW.
They’re just gonna have to re-tool and figure out how to unlock the big three. I’d prefer a better coach if one comes available.
The roster is financially compromised true. But the problem lies with getting the offense to function properly. Suns offense compromised their Defense—which was 13th in regular season.
This team needs to draft well and add a reliable 5, a 4 who plays big and rotates on D, and a back up play maker.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Exec of the Year: Boston's Brad Stevens.