Star Trek Continues: Series Finale Released!

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Phoenix219

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 3 on line.

Post by Phoenix219 »

Honestly, the Kirk and Spock actors in my opinion, bring more of the heart, spirit, mannerisms and vibe of the original actors much, MUCH more then Pine or Sylar. I can buy these as the same characters.

Once, I was thinking about a random scene, and it honestly took me a minute to figure out which episode it was, because my mind totally inserted Shatner into the memory; the show nails it that completely IMO. (the scene i was thinking back to, was Apollo discovering the Apollo missions on a library computer tape, exulting that mankind remembered and honored him, with Kirk reminding him, "but not as a god..."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I like Pine as Kirk. I thought he captured the essence of Kirk well. The Star Trek Continues tries very hard to look exactly like the original and the new Star Trek Movies go out of their way to be their own thing. Spock making out with Ohura in an elevator would never happen in the original. I can see why somebody would think the continues episodes capture the original series better, but If I have to choose between one to watch I would take the new Pike movies over the Star Trek Continues ones, just because millions of dollars goes into a new movie and about $10,000 probably goes into the Continues series. Apple and oranges. I liked both, but one clearly has a lot more money behind it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, what you're saying is that you're all about the money? That's not really the Star Trek ideal.
"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

The new movies, while expensive and big budget, don't feel anything like Star Trek to me. They are Star Wars movies, with Star Trek characters. Big explosions, plot devices that don't really make sense, big action sequences.... but no heart. Few of the characters act anything like themselves. This Kirk is a different person, having been raised by different people in different situations. Original Kirk was a "book with legs" at the Academy that didn't take any crap from anyone, worked hard and professionally, moved through the ranks and earned his command, not some punk that somehow got promoted from Cadet to Captain and had no respect for anyone. He reprogrammed the simulator in a serious way to win, not a smartass display. These aren't the characters that I know. The Spock/Uhura romance and Spock's attitude and emotional outbursts don't even fit. Spock has always been by the book, rather aloof and stoic, definitely not one to engage in a painfully public romance. They are changing things just for the sake of changing things.

The original series dealt with a lot of social issues that were relevent at the time, which STC continues to do (Orion slave trade/human trafficking, the politics of the Mirror Universe) and deeper introspective character pieces (Kirk's inner guilt and repressed traumas, the Apollo redemption piece.)

Basically, I have a lot more respect for the people that do it out of a love and understanding of TOS, over a corporate vision using familiar faces attempting to make as much money as possible.

When I watch an episode of STC, it feels like I truly am watching lost episodes of Star Trek. When I see their Kirk, I don't see a new actor; I just see Kirk.... the same character I have always known, who went through the same history, and carries the same principles. When I see the new movies, its a new character, with a new personality, in oddly familiar yet completely different surroundings, and ends up feeling like a cheap imitation.... even if quite literally, the low budget fan made show actually is the inexpensive mock up. :)

Indy

Post by Indy »

The JJ movies are nothing like any of the TV shows. But, neither are any of the movies. JJ's Trek movies are great for people that don't know Star Trek and just want a blockbuster action movie like Transformers.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I liked the JJ movies. It definitely isn't the same and I think he went out of his way to do his own thing. It was done really well and was exciting to watch. The characters are different and that is OK for me.

Unread postby Superbone » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:43 pm

So, what you're saying is that you're all about the money? That's not really the Star Trek ideal.
It's not all about the money, but money helps. If I hire my favorite band and do two concerts under two different scenarios which one would be more enjoyable? Concert one is in a parking lot, a crappy local sound guy with crappy Peavy gear runs the sound. They put a 60 watt light bulb above the band and there is no stage. The second concert is in a theatre with great acoustics and a top notch sound guy with top notch sound gear and a killer light show and video screen behind. Which concert would you enjoy more? It's the same band playing the same songs, but in one concert you can see and hear the band much better and it looks and sounds much better, the crowd gets into it and the band performs better from the excitement of the crowd. It's not all about the money, but it helps. I would still enjoy seeing my favorite band under the crappy situation, but not as much as the expensive presentation.

I know the original Star Trek series well and appreciated all it stood for and did enjoy the Continues episode I watched and look forward to seeing more. It's not a one or the other for me. I can enjoy them all for what they are.

When I see the Continues Kirk and Spock I don't see Kirk and Spock, I see two new actors playing Kirk and Spock. They are different and I haven't gotten used to them yet. I like the Kirk actor better than the Spock one so far, but even he is different and not the old Kirk. His voice is higher and seems a little more feminine to me. Kirk was a slut and had more humor to his character than the new guy, the Spock character is trying to be as stuffy as Spock, but something is missing. It's like he has no personality, which is sort of what Spock is like, but the real Spock had something about him and developed a personality as he went on.

TNG was real iffy in the first few episodes and I wasn't sure if I liked it, but they tweaked some things and it came together nicely. Maybe the Continues cast will start to develope a little chemistry too.

It's not one is good and one is bad. It's like pizza to me. They are all good, but I like Pizza Hut just a little better than Dominoes.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

How many of the 4 episodes have you seen? I've seen all of them a couple of times, so by this point, the small differences are so minor to me, it doesn't detract from the characters at all - the voice inflection being slightly off doesn't matter, because the way he walks, sits, carries himself, the facial expressions involved, are all flat out Kirk, without being a Shatner impersonation. The last episode is a seroius piece so there is less humor, but the other episodes have more sprinkled throughout. I think they nailed the chemistry between the big 3 in the last episode, and using Chris Doohan as Scotty is an ingenious move. Like I said, I feel the spirit of the original coming through much more in Continues then I ever did from the new movies. TOS is like a cover band of say, the Beatles, or some other band that can no longer perform, playing the good oldies, maybe even some new material, while the new movies are like a heavy rock cover of a classic song; it'll just never feel right to me. Honestly, I prefer small venues then big stadiums for my concerts to, so I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Kirk being such a slut is more pop culture then anything in the original show. He had a handful of women throughout the show (not nearly as many as people guess / remember) and this most recent episode attempts to address that in a serious way, and take the trope and shine a new light on it. As Wrath of Khan shows, Kirk doesn't deal with loss and failure very well, but as The Final Frontier makes clear, Kirk needs his pain, it motivates and drives him. The White Iris is a fantastic look into Kirk's inner demons, IMO, and is a deeper story then anything the new movies are capable of.

No comment on terrible pizza places.... :D

Indy

Star Trek Continues: Episode 3 on line.

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:I liked the JJ movies. It definitely isn't the same and I think he went out of his way to do his own thing.
But he didn't. He went out of his way to say he was going to do his own thing, then ripped off the best Trek movie ever, and one of the best sci fi movies ever. It was really disappointing and completely undid everything he tried to do with the first movie. And I'm a JJ fan.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Yep. It was just cheesy... forcing in the "famous" lines (30 years too soon, by the way); the "magic blood"... forcing in a death and resurrection (with a role reverse) and that terrible KHAANN yell by Spock....(people seem to forget that it was all part of Kirk's plan in the original and was a FAKE yell, by the way...)....

at the very least, that should have been one of Khan's followers, trying to wake up Khan. The steps they had to go through in a comic book to explain his appearance.... terrible. The entire movie was a string of shout outs and call backs.... even had Tribbles. I still can't even buy that all these cadets and inexperienced officers are manning the Enterprise. Don't even get me started on transwarp beaming or whatever, either.

The best part of the 2nd-2nd movie was the first few minutes, which still felt like we were being dropped off in the climax of an episode we didn't get to watch. The entire movie, its pacing and plot twists would have been better served by a JJ Abrams TV show, a 13 episode arc, where things could be spread out over multiple episodes, giving the events more weight, like Pike's death, or Kirk losing the ship, or being dead, or the ridiculously quick and pointless travel to Kronos, then back to Jupiter, not to mention the Khan reveal that no one in the movie knew or cared anything about (since it was an audience reveal that literally affected nothing in the movie and was just there to make old school fans go "oh, shit!" and it failed badly.)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If Continues is like most things, it takes awhile to get used to it and then you start to get attached. If you only knew how many times I bought a music CD expecting something and getting something I didn't expect or like, but then grow into it and eventually love it.

Scotty's son playing Scotty is bizarre, but he does a great job. The Myth Busters guy was kind of funny, but he did an alright job. His face looked different than on Myth Busters for some reason.

Was trying to think of the last JJ Star Trek movie and I don't think I saw it. I have seen the first one several times. The other day even. They keep showing it on cable. I saw the original Wrath of Khan movie. You guys didn't like the JJ version huh? Now I don't know if I will see it when it makes it's way to cable. Who am I kidding. It will be free and I will be on my couch, so it has to be better than the Kardasians.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Bone, ya ever check any more of these out?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Phoenix219 wrote:Bone, ya ever check any more of these out?
I've had "The White Iris" sitting in a tab open in my browser ever since you posted it. I just haven't made the time to watch it yet. I also need to go back and remember how many I've seen. I'd like to watch them in order. There are four in total with Iris being the 4th?
"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Correct. The 5th is under post-production now and may be out by the end of the year. The rest can be found on youtube or through startrekcontinues.com 's episode page, which is links to vimeo.

The rest, in order are:

1. Pilgrim of Eternity (Apollo redux)
2. Lolani (Orion slave trade)
3. Fairest of them All (Mirror Mirror continuation)
4. The White Iris

As a novelty item, I'm going to throw something else up here - its a "fanedit" of The Final Frontier, the heavily criticized 5th installment of the original movies. It was cut up into a 1 hour episode, with acts, commercial breaks, old school music and sound FX, and a lot of stuff removed. The pacing is great, the action scenes work, and the adventure heart of TOS shows through. Buried in that movie is a fantastic episode. I've already watched the edit more times then I have ever seen the movie itself.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Episode 5 comes out at the end of September.

In the meantime, here is something else:

Star Trek: Renegades

It was made as a pilot for a webseries by Tim Russ and Walter Koenig (Tuvok and Chekov). It has some professional actors in it (Edward Furlong, Sean Young and Corin Nemec, among others.) The main character, Lexxa Singh, played by Adrienne Wilkinson, has Khan's DNA (his daughter, so to speak), and another character used to be a Borg (i guess was saved during Voyager? His name is Icheb? I don't know, I wasn't a Voyager fan.)

Its about government conspiracy, and a group of "renegades" that can play a little dirtier then normal. A Team in Space, maybe. I haven't watched it all the way through yet.

[youtube][/youtube]

Still wish I knew how to embed video here...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I hope you don't mind. I embedded it for you. All you do is highlight it and then hit the "YOUTUBE" tab above the edit box.
"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Superbone wrote:I hope you don't mind. I embedded it for you. All you do is highlight it and then hit the "YOUTUBE" tab above the edit box.

No, not at all.

Was that function broken for awhile?

Before i went on hiatus, the STC episodes were embedded. When I came back, the links were no good. I figured something got changed in the code of the site somewhere, or something. Hang on, gonna check the old ones quick.

*EDIT*

It seems like before, you juts put the youtube video code into the [youtube] brackets, but now you have to put the entire "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" into the bracket as well.

I fixed every previous video link in this thread, for every episode and short to be click-viewable on site.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Episode 5 is on line:

Divided We Stand.

Their production values and acting just keep getting better and better.

[youtube][/youtube]

Phoenix219

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 5 online.

Post by Phoenix219 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Episode 6. Change thread title accordingly.

Nodack

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 5 online.

Post by Nodack »

Awesome!

Nodack

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 6 online.

Post by Nodack »

One picky thing. When the rock/dragon creature first was detected they wanted to beam it off the ship but, couldn't because of its makeup or something. Then later on the group sympathetic to him decided to go to the back of the ship where the waves would be less so the group and the rock/dragon creature all beamed there. Can it be beamed or not?