Sports + Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Flagrant Fowl

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:i havent been watching any soccer lately because our cable lost the EPL and la liga. bundesliga is available, but it's different. but here is data

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/08/09/r ... -liberals/

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20 ... -interests
This is outdated information to support your claim.

Your first link uses a poll from the 2010 World Cup as it's source.

Your second link is a story from 2013, and their data shows that the NBA is less popular amongst Republicans than MLS or even European Soccer. That doesn't match your original "only popular in red states" claim either since I'm pretty sure the NBA is quite popular in, say, Texas. How can MLS be unpopular with republican voters yet more popular with them than one of the big three leagues at the same time?

Your USMNT point is very tired. If they managed to go far in the World Cup it would be primarily due to the massive funding and development of soccer infrastructure across the country. The fact of the matter is, soccer is booming in most areas of the country because of the MLS.
SDC wrote:at one point, the USA ranked 5th in the world. the rest got better.
Outside of the top three positions, which an 8 year old could pick correctly, FIFA rankings are bullshit. But I wouldn't expect you to know that if you don't follow the sport closely.

Also, the USMNT hasn't been ranked #5 since 2005. They dropped all the way to #31 in that same year, if that gives you any indication about the trustworthiness of FIFA rankings. The popularity of the sport is unequivocally larger now than in 2005, and especially so the domestic league.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ ... index.html
The league is rock solid and will only continue to grow as long as the US remains one of the most desired places to live in the world. Just look at how franchise fees have jumped from around $10M to $150-200M in the last decade alone. The league will continue to bring in more investment for the development of facilities, training, and coaches, and that will eventually lead to the USMNT performing better in the World Cup.
SDC wrote:call me when the USMNT advances in the world cup final four.
Why would I need to do that? My whole point is that soccer is a booming sport and it will advance at a much quicker rate than the national team's ability to reach the latter stages of the World Cup. In fact, the USMNT success is highly dependent on the development and financial growth of the domestic league, which, again, was my point.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Re: Sports + Politics

Post by SDC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Anyone who says they completely stopped watching the NFL because of Kaepernick is just masquerading as an uptight a****** who looks for any reason to put down people unlike themselves. In other words, they're lying.
that's the NFL's core audience. and IIRC, the kaepernick thing was about the national anthem and flag.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:Interesting take. I've never read Breitbart, so I have no idea. Maybe you could offer SDC a list of acceptable news sources.
i could offer you a list of alternative news sources, but what's wrong with breitbart?
What's wrong with Brietbart?
Breitbart News Network (known commonly as Breitbart News, Breitbart or Breitbart.com) is a far-right[4][5][6][7][8][9] American news, opinion and commentary[10][11] website founded in 2007 by conservative commentator and entrepreneur Andrew Breitbart. It also has a daily radio program on the Sirius XM Patriot channel called Breitbart News Daily.

Breitbart News is headquartered in Los Angeles, with bureaux in Texas, London, and Jerusalem. Co-founder Larry Solov is the owner and CEO, while Joel Pollak is the senior editor-at-large, and Alexander Marlow is managing-editor.[12]

Conceived by Andrew Breitbart during a visit to Israel in summer 2007 as a website "that would be unapologetically pro-freedom and pro-Israel",[13] Breitbart News later aligned with the European populist right and American alt-right under the management of former executive chairman Steven K. Bannon.[14][15] The New York Times describes Breitbart News as an organization with "ideologically driven journalists" that generates controversy "over material that has been called misogynist, xenophobic and racist". Bannon declared the website "the platform for the alt-right" in 2016,[16] but he has denied all allegations of racism and later stated that he rejected the "ethno-nationalist" tendencies of the alt-right movement.[17] The owners of Breitbart News deny their website has any connection to the alt-right or has ever supported racist or white supremacist views.[18] Breitbart News voiced support for Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign,[19] and political scientist Matthew Goodwin described Breitbart News as being "ultra-conservative" in orientation.[20]

Breitbart News has been involved in the ACORN 2009 undercover videos controversy, the firing of Shirley Sherrod, the Anthony Weiner sexting scandals, the "Friends of Hamas" story, the Nancy Pelosi/Miley Cyrus ad campaign, the misidentification of Loretta Lynch, and Michelle Fields' allegations against Corey Lewandowski.[21] Shortly after the election, a number of advertisers such as Kellogg's pulled advertising from the site, to which Breitbart News responded with asking readers to boycott Kellogg's products.[22] Since then, more than 400 organizations have reportedly excluded Breitbart News from future ad buys.[23][24]
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Why enable him, AIG? You know damn well SDC knows exactly what's wrong with Breitbart. At this point the only way someone is unfamiliar is if they never turn on the TV, open social media or read a newspaper.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Anyone who says they completely stopped watching the NFL because of Kaepernick is just masquerading as an uptight a****** who looks for any reason to put down people unlike themselves. In other words, they're lying.
that's the NFL's core audience. and IIRC, the kaepernick thing was about the national anthem and flag.
You're recalling incorrectly. Kaepernick's "thing" was about police brutality against minorities. He stated multiple times that has no issue with the flag, national anthem, or the even with many members of the police themselves.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:Interesting take. I've never read Breitbart, so I have no idea. Maybe you could offer SDC a list of acceptable news sources.
Here is the Wikipedia article for Breitbart since you have no idea about them (which is alarming or a good way to convince others that you have a "balanced" view):
Breitbart News Network (known commonly as Breitbart News, Breitbart or Breitbart.com) is a far-right[4][5][6][7][8][9] American news, opinion and commentary[10][11] website founded in 2007 by conservative commentator and entrepreneur Andrew Breitbart. It also has a daily radio program on the Sirius XM Patriot channel called Breitbart News Daily.

Breitbart News is headquartered in Los Angeles, with bureaux in Texas, London, and Jerusalem. Co-founder Larry Solov is the owner and CEO, while Joel Pollak is the senior editor-at-large, and Alexander Marlow is managing-editor.[12]

Conceived by Andrew Breitbart during a visit to Israel in summer 2007 as a website "that would be unapologetically pro-freedom and pro-Israel",[13] Breitbart News later aligned with the European populist right and American alt-right under the management of former executive chairman Steven K. Bannon.[14][15] The New York Times describes Breitbart News as an organization with "ideologically driven journalists" that generates controversy "over material that has been called misogynist, xenophobic and racist". Bannon declared the website "the platform for the alt-right" in 2016,[16] but he has denied all allegations of racism and later stated that he rejected the "ethno-nationalist" tendencies of the alt-right movement.[17] The owners of Breitbart News deny their website has any connection to the alt-right or has ever supported racist or white supremacist views.[18] Breitbart News voiced support for Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign,[19] and political scientist Matthew Goodwin described Breitbart News as being "ultra-conservative" in orientation.[20]

Breitbart News has been involved in the ACORN 2009 undercover videos controversy, the firing of Shirley Sherrod, the Anthony Weiner sexting scandals, the "Friends of Hamas" story, the Nancy Pelosi/Miley Cyrus ad campaign, the misidentification of Loretta Lynch, and Michelle Fields' allegations against Corey Lewandowski.[21] Shortly after the election, a number of advertisers such as Kellogg's pulled advertising from the site, to which Breitbart News responded with asking readers to boycott Kellogg's products.[22] Since then, more than 400 organizations have reportedly excluded Breitbart News from future ad buys.[23][24]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitbart_News

Based on the above, it's easy to see why someone would dismiss Breitbart as any sort of fair or non-objectionable source of news.
I stand by my statement that I have never read anything on Breitbart. I recognize that they are biased and partisan, so you can either dismiss what they say, read it and take it with a speculative mind, or just not read it. It's completely up to everyone. Could they possibly have some real news that isn't being reported anywhere else? It's possible. I don't read everything, but I do try to look at different points of view. I don't have all the answers, and never claimed to either.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Have you guys heard about anything new about the Fukushima Reactor? There are possible devastating consequences ecologically to the entire Pacific and possible mass sea animal life dying because of recent raised levels and it getting possibly worse.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have no problem with Breitbart's existence. I have a problem with Trump making the head of Breitbart the guy controlling US policy.

I haven't heard about the reactor.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:I have no problem with Breitbart's existence. I have a problem with Trump making the head of Breitbart the guy controlling US policy.

I haven't heard about the reactor.
This is exactly how I feel. I sometimes read Breitbart articles for the extreme far right viewpoints they provide just to get a better idea how that demographic of society thinks. To think that the braintrust behind such a publication is controlling US policy is beyond comprehension.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Breitbart is fake news.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:Breitbart is fake news.
l would never click on a Breitbart link.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

^ That. They are garbage.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I signed up there when I first found out about the place. I was booted right away. You are only allowed to post there if you are a right wing pro Trump oerson.

SDC

Post by SDC »

actually, whether you like their politics or not, i find them accurate. they report on stories that the mainstream media doesnt report.

oh, and how would you know it is fake news when you dont even read it?

SDC

Post by SDC »

Nodack wrote:I signed up there when I first found out about the place. I was booted right away. You are only allowed to post there if you are a right wing pro Trump oerson.
you need to stop trolling, nodack.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC wrote:
actually, whether you like their politics or not, i find them accurate. they report on stories that the mainstream media doesnt report.

oh, and how would you know it is fake news when you dont even read it?
I have read several of their articles. Their content is ridiculous. That's great that you "find them accurate," but you're reading an extremely biased source that outright fabricates a heavy portion of their content and exaggerates much of the rest. If that's the kind of content you want, enjoy it. But I'm never clicking on it again.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

SDC wrote:
Nodack wrote:I signed up there when I first found out about the place. I was booted right away. You are only allowed to post there if you are a right wing pro Trump oerson.

I check out dozens of different news sites and sometimes post in the comment sections. Breitbart is the only place I am banned from and that was after one or two normal posts. They don't allow opinions other than theirs at their site. That should tell you a lot about Bannon, who is running our country.

It appears you are trolling here. Does that mean you are going to stop any time soon?

Gorka: Left Cares About Alinsky Tactics and Political ‘Triangulation’ More Than Safety of Americans
http://www.breitbart.com/national-secur ... americans/

My comment at Breitbart. "Welcome to Trump/Breitbart News"

These comments below are cool, but I was banned.

"Until independent, civilian paramilitary units deliver personal consequence to the followers of Alinski, conservatism can not be taken seriously."

"After over 60 years the United States will realize the Sen. Joseph McCarthy was completely right about the communist in hollywood. The only difference is that they now are brazen about who and what they are. We should Ban and shun Hollywood and also any sports or entertainer figure."

"When does the sappy comments stop, and we start breaking some liberal heads?"

"As long as our side keeps pounding away at how the Commie-Libs work their deception, we will prevail over the Enemy Within."

"Leftists have been selling out Americans to the to advance their agenda ever since communist dictatorships started cropping up in the early 20th century. It was leftist maneuvering in the state department that led the US to stop giving military aid to the Chinese Nationalists that allowed the People's Republic of China to take over the Chinese mainland, exterminate tens of millions of its own people, and become a credible totalitarian threat to the United States. It was leftist policymaking and propaganda that led to our entry into Vietnam and the subsequent outbreak in anti-Americanism and anti-patriotism that allowed the leftist baby boomers to completely take over our country's culture and thereby portray America as the genocidal, imperialist power that today's students are indoctrinated to believe exists.

There are no harmless leftists. By accepting and believing in their collectivist ideology they are all in part responsible for the decline of America not just as a global power, but as a culture, a history, and a way of life. And not only are they responsible, they take pride in subsuming American culture to the backwards dictator-loving cultures of the third world under the guise of "cultural enrichment" and "diversity."

They value not the culture that spawned them, the freedoms that allowed them to express their views, the patriotism that drives the military which protects them. They ungrateful and morally depraved and they must be fought in every time they rear their ugly heads to denigrate the nation without which they would not exist."

Sperry: Obama Organizing Violent Anti-Trump Protesters Just Miles from White House
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ite-house/

When former President Barack Obama said he was “heartened” by anti-Trump protests, he was sending a message of approval to his troops. Troops? Yes, Obama has an army of agitators — numbering more than 30,000 — who will fight his Republican successor at every turn of his historic presidency. And Obama will command them from a bunker less than two miles from the White House.

In what’s shaping up to be a highly unusual post-presidency, Obama isn’t just staying behind in Washington. He’s working behind the scenes to set up what will effectively be a shadow government to not only protect his threatened legacy, but to sabotage the incoming administration and its popular “America First” agenda.

He’s doing it through a network of leftist nonprofits led by Organizing for Action. Normally you’d expect an organization set up to support a politician and his agenda to close up shop after that candidate leaves office, but not Obama’s OFA. Rather, it’s gearing up for battle, with a growing war chest and more than 250 offices across the country.

"The community agitator is at it again. Send him to GITMO."

"Zero thinks he is quite safe. He will surround himself with a crowd of the black-masked Berkley riot thugs.

The Democrat party is organizing their new opposition suppression forces. Just as intolerant as the old KKK, the black-masked #NewKKK will indulge in the old Democrat party KKK's tactics to silence and intimidate the people they disagree with. https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R-a...

So, Zero will organize his black-masked thugs to beat opponents, set fires, break windows & riot."

"He could go back to his real home in Kenya but might lose SS protection there."

"We need trump to investigate his past. We already know he scammed the birth certificate and the one on file is a fraud, a forgery as proven by Arpaio commission.

Maybe Obama is scared Trump will do just that.
In any event, I'm with trump no matter what he does, but I really think he should go after Obama. It is a felony what he did to scam his way into the White House and trump can do somrthing about it all. Maybe even get rid of a few Superme Court justices in the process. What do you think?
Trump's accolade, that ink... http://www.whatfinger.com/sing...

"Using a forged document to get into office is a felony, That's all we need to know. Trump should prosecute. he knows the truth,."

"Obama had no place to go. Never had a real home and family.

Sort of a bum...as his ugly wife. He tried to project Hawaii was his home. Never a family home or estate there."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That was a pretty incendiary comment, Nodack. I'm surprised criminal charges didn't come your way. Jeez

SDC

Post by SDC »

Nodack wrote:
SDC wrote:

I check out dozens of different news sites and sometimes post in the comment sections. Breitbart is the only place I am banned from and that was after one or two normal posts. They don't allow opinions other than theirs at their site. That should tell you a lot about Bannon, who is running our country.
i think they should not have banned you for just speaking your mind. i have been threatened with expulsion a few times in this forum, and i wouldnt be here if not for chu.

as for their comments, it's the internet. anonymity makes some people stupid. none of the people who threatened to kill joy villa or called her racist names has their twitter account banned yet.