POLL: Grade the Suns' draft overall

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Suns overall draft grade

A+
12%
A
21%
A-
21%
B+
21%
B
19%
B-
No votes
C+
No votes
C
2%
C-
2%
D+
No votes
D
No votes
D-
No votes
F
No votes

Total votes: 42

Superbone

Re: POLL: Grade the Suns' draft overall

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:I voted A- but felt more of a B+, so I think we're in that range. Jackson was the consensus pick for us, the "experts" love him as a player, he filled a need. I like Reed and what he can bring. Don't think we nabbed any stars or sleepers tho.
I went B+. If we had procured KP it would have been a solid A+. I think Jackson has the potenial to be a star or at least an all-star.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:Here's Chad Ford's grade -

Phoenix Suns: A

Round 1: Josh Jackson (4)

Round 2: Davon Reed (32), Alec Peters (54)

The Suns had some major internal debates over Jackson, De'Aaron Fox and Jonathan Isaac. Each of the three would've fit in his own way, but I like Jackson's fit the best. As an athletic wing with a defensive edge, Jackson brings a toughness that this young Suns squad desperately needs.

Reed also can supply a defensive edge and length as a potential backup to Jackson. And Peters is a steal. Had he not gotten injured, I think he would've gone in the first round. Big guys who can shoot with his accuracy will always find a place in the league.

I love how the Suns are beginning to round into form. As this young core develops, they should be able to make some noise in the playoffs in a few years.
Nice!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:B We paid attention and didn't mess it up, but we didn't do anything special either. Almost any other team would have gotten Jackson or Fox with the 4. You don't get an A for taking the consensus pick at that spot.

Seems to be a McD kinda thing. Doesn't over think things and just takes the best player/fit. Booker was that guy too. Would be great if Jackson exceeds expectations as much as Booker has.
That would be something.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I'm going A-

I think Jackson is gonna fit well and without seeing Reed I like the idea behind the pick. I've seen him compared to fellow Hurricane Josh Richardson and also Danny Green which either way would be somebody we could use for 10-15. Bell is a talent, that can't be argued but we made a mess of the Forward rotations last season with most of us being frustrated that PJ n Duds were taking minutes from the young guys. So if you were to add both Jackson and Bell to Chriss - TJ - Bender I'm not sure how the minutes split up . so just my two cents.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

O_Gardino wrote:Poll: How would you grade your fellow poster's grades?
lol
To the two posters (thus far) that gave us a C, I'd really like to know who we should have drafted that was better than Jackson when he was available (and a fit for our roster)? There are some truly pessimistic souls around these parts.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Hermen wrote:I voted C and I'm the lowest lol :D Not that I don't believe in the young guys, I just gave an average grade because we didn't do anything fancy (for better or worse). Not that there is anything wrong with that. Obviously, if Reed or Peters turn out to be superstars the grade changes, but right now I don't feel strongly about it either way.

For example, even if Simmons turns out to be a superstar I wouldn't give the Sixers A+ for the draft last year. They did their A+ "work" during the season and in the lottery (lol), taking him first was pretty much a no brainer. Maybe my grading system is weird.
It is weird. What would have given us an A in your eyes with who was available?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I gave them an A-. I really like the choice of Jackson, but I'm not familiar with the 2nd round picks, so will have to wait and see with them.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Hermen wrote:I voted C and I'm the lowest lol :D Not that I don't believe in the young guys, I just gave an average grade because we didn't do anything fancy (for better or worse). Not that there is anything wrong with that. Obviously, if Reed or Peters turn out to be superstars the grade changes, but right now I don't feel strongly about it either way.

For example, even if Simmons turns out to be a superstar I wouldn't give the Sixers A+ for the draft last year. They did their A+ "work" during the season and in the lottery (lol), taking him first was pretty much a no brainer. Maybe my grading system is weird.
It is. For many here, making the best obvious choice rates a B. So higher than a B is impossible.

carey

Post by carey »

B from me. Not sure I'm sold on Jackson. I would have preferred to take Fox and trade Eric to get back in the lotto. I also liked a couple of more guys at 32 over Reed. Semi, Bell, Brooks to name a few. I don't know anything about Peters so can't comment there. His shot looks legit and he can rebound though so I definitely think he could be a Leueur type.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:B from me. Not sure I'm sold on Jackson. I would have preferred to take Fox and trade Eric to get back in the lotto. I also liked a couple of more guys at 32 over Reed. Semi, Bell, Brooks to name a few. I don't know anything about Peters so can't comment there. His shot looks legit and he can rebound though so I definitely think he could be a Leueur type.
Summer league will sell you on Jackson. No doubt in my mind. I feel like he'll be the best rookie there.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

It is. For many here, making the best obvious choice rates a B. So higher than a B is impossible.
A is for flipping the pick for something more valuable than that best obvious choice. Moving up or getting extra picks or getting KP.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done. Mark it.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I upgraded my draft grade to an A- because of the trickery with getting Jackson to skip the celtics workout.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

AmareIsGod wrote:JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done. Mark it.
wow

TOO

Post by TOO »

Not sure you can compare 2 players who are vastly different. Apples/Oranges and all that jazz.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

TOO

Post by TOO »

And consider it marked. :D
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Not sure you can compare 2 players who are vastly different. Apples/Oranges and all that jazz.
Apples to oranges, who dominates his team to wins. Who imposes his will. Who intimidates the opposition. Dominance. It's a simple strategy that wins wars.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

AmareIsGod wrote:

I don't feel pessimistic at all. We have a nice young team and look willing (for now) to let it grow. I'm not saying there was a guy at 4 that would turn this into an A. The grade reflects what we did compared to what was expected from us going into, say, this week. We didn't do anything stupid, like traded #4 for Aldridge, but we also didn't perform any miracles, which A+ should be, since it doesn't get higher than that. We didn't trade Bledsoe for another pick or KP or something. We simply played the cards we were given. It probably doesn't help that I didn't have a strong preference among guys in play at 4 (Jackson, Isaac, Fox). They all seemed like worthy picks to me.

This goes mainly for the first round, maybe I'd be more excited about our draft if I knew more about the second rounders. So don't take my grade too seriously :-)

I'd probably give Philly an A this year for trading up to get the best prospect that also fits their team perfectly. The Bulls on the other hand were horrible. They got a bad (imo) return for Butler, and if they're blowing it up, why sell the other pick?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Can we put money on this? And considering how adamant you are, i think I should get good odds here.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Hermen wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

I don't feel pessimistic at all. We have a nice young team and look willing (for now) to let it grow. I'm not saying there was a guy at 4 that would turn this into an A. The grade reflects what we did compared to what was expected from us going into, say, this week. We didn't do anything stupid, like traded #4 for Aldridge, but we also didn't perform any miracles, which A+ should be, since it doesn't get higher than that. We didn't trade Bledsoe for another pick or KP or something. We simply played the cards we were given. It probably doesn't help that I didn't have a strong preference among guys in play at 4 (Jackson, Isaac, Fox). They all seemed like worthy picks to me.

This goes mainly for the first round, maybe I'd be more excited about our draft if I knew more about the second rounders. So don't take my grade too seriously :-)

I'd probably give Philly an A this year for trading up to get the best prospect that also fits their team perfectly. The Bulls on the other hand were horrible. They got a bad (imo) return for Butler, and if they're blowing it up, why sell the other pick?
We stood pat and got the best prospect that fit the team perfectly. Heh.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.