Game of Thrones: Season 7

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Shabazz

Re: Game of Thrones: Season 7

Post by Shabazz »

Or how about the whole horrible plan in the first place? 7 guys (+cannon fodder) confronting the Army of the Dead to kidnap one white walker so they can bring it back to Cersei who would then want to make peace??? What if there hadn't been a handful of them walking ahead?

What about Gendry running all the way back to the wall to send a Raven that made it all the way to Dany who flew all the way to the exact spot the group was within a day?

It's been stretching credulity lately. I'm also not buying the contrived Arya/Sansa strife.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:Or how about the whole horrible plan in the first place? 7 guys (+cannon fodder) confronting the Army of the Dead to kidnap one white walker so they can bring it back to Cersei who would then want to make peace??? What if there hadn't been a handful of them walking ahead?

What about Gendry running all the way back to the wall to send a Raven that made it all the way to Dany who flew all the way to the exact spot the group was within a day?

It's been stretching credulity lately. I'm also not buying the contrived Arya/Sansa strife.
So the TV show with dragons, fireproof girls, omniscient boys, and resurrection isn't as believable anymore? I get what you are saying, but this is all fantasy.

I do agree with the Arya/Sansa statement, and how dumb the plan was. I guess I am more bothered by inconsistent character choices than I am by magic happening in the world.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:So the TV show with dragons, fireproof girls, omniscient boys, and resurrection isn't as believable anymore? I get what you are saying, but this is all fantasy.
I hear you, but I do think the show used to make more sense within its own world. Yes, it has dragons and zombies and magic and monsters, so it isn't "believable" or "realistic." But it used to have a more internally consistent logic.

Previous episodes played fast and loose with time, but it was more of the "skip the boring parts" variety. If they showed Jon Snow in Winterfell at the start of an episode and at Dragonstone at the end of that same episode, it wasn't implying that his boat went 7,000 mph. It was implying that there was a time cut, that the show skipped some number of days/weeks of boring sailing between the two points. I have no problem with that.

If the heroes are trapped, and then they send a runner, who runs for miles, who then sends a raven, which are established to fly at a fairly normal speed, to deliver a message to a place that is literally thousands of miles away, whose recipient then gets onto a dragon and flies north, which is again thousands of miles, on a dragon that can't be going all *that* fast, and she arrives in time to save them in only a matter of hours? That's implausible in a totally different way. It isn't just that they did a "cut" or a "skip." It's that the timeline of the events makes no sense.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg of the many things that were nonsensical about S07E06. The whole plan was ridiculous from the start, as others have said. On and on. I've been quite disappointed with this season due to the poor dialogue/writing and the plots that make no sense.

The finale tonight was better than S07E06, to be sure. But how we got here made no sense, so its impact was dulled for me.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

For fucks sake, blue fire?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

They have to fight the Whitewalkers eventually. There has to be closure to many storylines eventually. The way prior seasons have plodded (for the better, as I enjoy fleshed out stories), there would have been no way to wrap things up tidy in 2 abbreviated seasons. It's too bad they couldn't stretch out to 3 or 4 seasons for the sake of including believable timeframes between events. It's a byproduct of "let's get it all done in 2 seasons" more than anything else.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

I agree with Spivey in that you can't take thousands of pages of unwritten books and turn it into 13 hours of TV and have it be like the first thousands of pages of written books shown over 60 hours of TV.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:For fucks sake, blue fire?
Was it fire? I couldn't tell. I realize that it destroyed the wall, but it didn't look like it was melting in any normal way.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:I agree with Spivey in that you can't take thousands of pages of unwritten books and turn it into 13 hours of TV and have it be like the first thousands of pages of written books shown over 60 hours of TV.
Spivey says hi! :)
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

To me it is more that all the story lines are converging. This is always the way it is when things come to an end. Things begin to feel rushed. I'm sorry some of you didn't enjoy the season. I thought it was great fun.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

It certainly wasn't as good of drama as Season 1, but really this is everything that the first few seasons promised to the viewers.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:I agree with Spivey in that you can't take thousands of pages of unwritten books and turn it into 13 hours of TV and have it be like the first thousands of pages of written books shown over 60 hours of TV.
In my mind that is your name. If that bothers you, I will work to change it in my head. :P

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
In my mind that is your name. If that bothers you, I will work to change it in my head. :P
I like it. Makes me feel young.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
I like it. Makes me feel young.
You are. I think DC has been at the same company longer than you have been alive.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I didn't mind the pacing so much, but the writing and dialogue were mostly horrible. A lot of lines that were cringe-worthy and a lot of character motivations and entire arcs that made no sense.

A real step down in overall quality from any other GoT season, with a slight nod to Season 5, which also had a lot of problems.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Did you think Tyrion, or Davos, or Cersie or Jaymie said anything this season they wouldn't have said last season? The only person I saw that seemed to change was Dany. And I can't tell if that was power getting the best of her, or poor character writing/consistency.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have never had HBO in my lifetime. We just got Direct TV and it comes with it stock. Just started watching GOT episode 1&2 of season 1.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Buckle up.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

:)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:Did you think Tyrion, or Davos, or Cersie or Jaymie said anything this season they wouldn't have said last season? The only person I saw that seemed to change was Dany. And I can't tell if that was power getting the best of her, or poor character writing/consistency.
I don't think I have it in me to write a long critique of the season. And it's hard to articulate. Maybe the simplest way to say it is that the plots didn't really make sense, which is atypical for this show. And actions/mistakes did not have consequences, unlike what the show had established in prior seasons. Charge foolishly at a fire breathing dragon? It's fine; you'll be saved. Get cornered on an ice island surrounded by zombies? It's fine; you'll be saved by Danaerys. And so on.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Indy wrote:Did you think Tyrion, or Davos, or Cersie or Jaymie said anything this season they wouldn't have said last season? The only person I saw that seemed to change was Dany. And I can't tell if that was power getting the best of her, or poor character writing/consistency.
I don't think I have it in me to write a long critique of the season. And it's hard to articulate. Maybe the simplest way to say it is that the plots didn't really make sense, which is atypical for this show. And actions/mistakes did not have consequences, unlike what the show had established in prior seasons. Charge foolishly at a fire breathing dragon? It's fine; you'll be saved. Get cornered on an ice island surrounded by zombies? It's fine; you'll be saved by Danaerys. And so on.
Just started watching the show this summer. Impressive to watch, and perhaps because Im coming in right now, I wasn't as sensitive to major performance drops in season 7 compared to the other seasons. I will say that it was surprising just how poorly Tyrion was outmatched after spending the last 6 seasons really establishing him as a brilliant and clever guy. I also really struggled to see any sort of connection between Snow and Danaerys. It was one of the the only times in the series where it felt like they got together because that was supposed to happen.