Game Day (Preseason): Blazers (3-1) @ Suns (1-2), Wed 10/11/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
OE32

Re: Game Day: Blazers (3-1) @ Suns (1-2), Wed 10/11/17

Post by OE32 »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
OE32 wrote:We received a second for taking on Troy Daniels's contract. That was $3.75m. I think the teams with cap space are playing hardball. And teams that are competing may like Chandler, but certainly not at that $$$. IDK. I don't much care. This is what I prefer to see on the court. I've lost interest in Bled and Chandler in particular... note that I don't mind them as much as I did Tucker or either Morris while they were here.

Brandon Knight is much less of a concern now that we don't even have to stock his locker, imo.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I've wanted to move Bledsoe and Chandler for some time now. Chandler can be gone for a mere expiring if you can find one, I don't care either. But Bledsoe is worth at least a decent 1stR, and come draft time you know you always want that mid first to gamble on a less talked abou prospect. It's one thing to rebuild and another to squander a tangible asset. I believe he will be traded at the deadline unless (god forbid), we 'surprise' our way to 39 wins.
In my experience, preseason is a pretty strong indicator of how the beginning of your season will go. The 04-05 Suns kicked butt in the preseason, and we all discounted it until we were up nearly 20 in the first quarter of our regular season game. The Year of the Dragon was foreshadowed by a strong preseason showing. Terry Porter's utter stupidity was obvious as soon as our public scrimmage in Tucson (I know, because I was there that year, and I was shocked). And so far, what we've shown in preseason is that the sky is way, way, way higher than the ceiling is for this team this season. We're going to stink, at least at first. On the other hand, I'm convinced that Josh Jackson has perhaps the best shot at ROY. ROY is a pretty strong indicator of superstardom, and so... yeah. Feeling pretty good as a Suns fan, atm.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

OE32 wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
OE32 wrote:We received a second for taking on Troy Daniels's contract. That was $3.75m. I think the teams with cap space are playing hardball. And teams that are competing may like Chandler, but certainly not at that $$$. IDK. I don't much care. This is what I prefer to see on the court. I've lost interest in Bled and Chandler in particular... note that I don't mind them as much as I did Tucker or either Morris while they were here.

Brandon Knight is much less of a concern now that we don't even have to stock his locker, imo.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I've wanted to move Bledsoe and Chandler for some time now. Chandler can be gone for a mere expiring if you can find one, I don't care either. But Bledsoe is worth at least a decent 1stR, and come draft time you know you always want that mid first to gamble on a less talked abou prospect. It's one thing to rebuild and another to squander a tangible asset. I believe he will be traded at the deadline unless (god forbid), we 'surprise' our way to 39 wins.
In my experience, preseason is a pretty strong indicator of how the beginning of your season will go. The 04-05 Suns kicked butt in the preseason, and we all discounted it until we were up nearly 20 in the first quarter of our regular season game. The Year of the Dragon was foreshadowed by a strong preseason showing. Terry Porter's utter stupidity was obvious as soon as our public scrimmage in Tucson (I know, because I was there that year, and I was shocked). And so far, what we've shown in preseason is that the sky is way, way, way higher than the ceiling is for this team this season. We're going to stink, at least at first. On the other hand, I'm convinced that Josh Jackson has perhaps the best shot at ROY. ROY is a pretty strong indicator of superstardom, and so... yeah. Feeling pretty good as a Suns fan, atm.
I can share many of those feelings. We are going to be absolutely terrible but this season is not about that. To me Jackson is a stud and his pairing with Booker could be amazing. I am high on Warren as always (but once again, weird injury keeps him from having any continuity). I even love Sauce as a player, not just a story. Ulis has the making of a nice backup PG. On the other hand, we could have wasted two drafts in 2013 (who cares at this point anyway) and 2016, we've suffered a ton of dumb and ugly basketball (and there is more of that coming our way). If 2018 delivers a franchise altering big man, we are 'set' for the future, but can't fault people for being short on patience.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OE32 wrote:Right now, I could do without Bledsoe on this roster. It's easy to forget how great a player is when they're not doing well... I know that. But I think Bled's a scorer who needs shots to be effective, and we have enough of those guys in Booker, Jackson and Warren. So when he's not playing hard or well, I get salty.
I rarely hear about McDonough entertaining trading Bledsoe. The only time I've heard it was during the possible Irving sweepstakes. He seems to be enamored with him even though he's never been a very good fit on this basketball team.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Who do people think we be the ideal PG on this team?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:Who do people think we be the ideal PG on this team?
I know Mori’s answer!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Magic Johnson
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

OE32

Post by OE32 »

O_Gardino wrote:Magic Johnson
Can't argue with that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

OE32 wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:

Seriously, I remember the '04-'05 Suns preseason and being so stoked, because I could see how they were playing and just boat racing teams. I knew in my heart that it was going to happen in the season, I made a bet with my in-laws loudmouthed neighbor that the Suns were going to win more games that season. I was so confident that I even said that they would win more by the All-Star game than they did the entire season prior. Damn, that steak was good and seeing him eat his words.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Of course I'll say my boy Ricky Rubio. But Goran Dragic would have been quite good. :-)

carey

Post by carey »

Wally_West wrote:
I know Mori’s answer!
Ricky Curry?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Lonzo Ball?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We need a veteran PG to put it all together. Chandler's good for the lockerroom but he can't take charge on the court and Bledsoe's never been that guy. I feel like Ulis has more leadership presence and confidence out there than Bledsoe.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

I honestly think coaching is a much bigger issue for us that PG play at the moment.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

n4th4n wrote:I honestly think coaching is a much bigger issue for us that PG play at the moment.
Apples and oranges. I agree with Shel that the team looks much better when Ulis is running the show. Heck, they may even look better when James is running it.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I like Bledsoe as a player, just not on this roster. He needs to be the 3rd or 4th best guy in a lineup to see his value.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I like Bledsoe as a player, just not on this roster. He needs to be the 3rd or 4th best guy in a lineup to see his value.
I agree.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We will never have the ideal PG on this team. Even Nash was ripped apart on a daily basis during his prime. It's what we do here.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
We will never have the ideal PG on this team. Even Nash was ripped apart on a daily basis during his prime. It's what we do here.
That's an exaggeration. The fans rightfully loved Nash and trusted him to run the team.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Nodack wrote:
That's an exaggeration. The fans rightfully loved Nash and trusted him to run the team.
And they were rightfully critical of his defensive play.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

I don't recall ripping Nash. I never cared that he couldn't defend. He was a wizard on offense.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!