SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Pse. At the rate contracts are growing keeping Bledsoe and Goran for 30M combined is looking less and less crazy. That's infinitely better in marginal terms than using the same amount on 4 fringe MLE role players. Granted, you can always go back to no spending at all and just using the draft until you strike gold, but that hardly guarantees you anything either.
Thank you! :D
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

OKC/Harden is a great example of the idea that you don't let your own star just leave for peanuts; you should keep the guy and figure it out at almost any cost. I really think we should not let Bledsoe leave as a free agent, especially since we have all the leverage given that he's an RFA. Try to make the guy an offer to stay that is sub-max, tell him that you want to pay Goran exactly the same and you want to retain both and have the most lethal backcourt in the league. If he balks, just match any offer that's given to him. I think the cap is going to go way up in a year or two, so these deals today won't be quite as ludicrous.

Robot

Post by Robot »

Thanks everyone - you answered my questions. I was wondering where this rumor was coming from so now I get it.

IDK if it's a great idea to think about dumping Dragic because of backcourt cost. It all comes down to how the team gets built. Why not just run with this group for several years . No FA is going to want to sign here if we dismantle the main component of our success last year. Why would Love come here if we take apart what made us a special team? Hypothetical.

Not sure if I am buying it but, it's basketball -- so unless we are about to win in the next couple of years the entire team and likely coach will change anyway. thats reality

- R

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Robot: As stupid as it was for the Lakers to give a $48.5 million contract for a clearly declining Kobe Bryant, at least it accomplishes one thing: It shows any potential FA, "We are the Lakers, and we take care of our free agents. Once you are here, you are family; you are a franchise lifer; we will take care of you." That kind of attitude was how it felt here in Phx when the Colangeli were running the show. Players would take short or low-money deals to get here because they knew we would take care of them. I really liked that.

I just want them to think of Dragic the same way. He should finish his career as a Sun. We were blessed to get him back, and now we should value and cherish having him here until he quits playing NBA basketball. Period.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That's going a little overboard for Dragic no? He's a nice player, but he's not Nash or Majerle or KJ or Dan Langhi.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Majerle, I know I made a thread about it on the old .net, but man...can't believe what happened to him (his career) after 1995.

</threadjack>

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:That's going a little overboard for Dragic no? He's a nice player, but he's not Nash or Majerle or KJ or Dan Langhi.
That's kind of how I feel about Goran now. I know there are others that feel that way too. He came back to us when we dealt him away like trash. He gave us a discount over what Houston was offering. He then gave us one of the best basketball seasons by a Phoenix Suns PG. Why not treat him like Suns royalty?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Heh. Attachment is more than warranted. His career path is even similar to Nash. Unheralded prospect, struggled at first, was traded, became a better player and came back and exploded on the Suns.

But at the same time (and I can't remember who wrote this on .net) unless you are KJ, don't get too comfortable in the desert.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

KJ > Dragic/Nash

Come at me, bitches! :lol:

TOO

Post by TOO »

RealGM insider says on to plan B.

carey

Post by carey »

Says Dragic stays put and we're going after Deng & Gasol.

Bledsoe-Ennis
Dragic-Goodwin-Green
Deng-Warren-Mook
Gasol-Markieff-Mook
Plumlee-Len

Trades are possible as well, but I'm not all that impressed if that is the roster. We'll have improved just not enough to really compete in the West. Just my opinion.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:Says Dragic stays put and we're going after Deng & Gasol.

Bledsoe-Ennis
Dragic-Goodwin-Green
Deng-Warren-Mook
Gasol-Markieff-Mook
Plumlee-Len

Trades are possible as well, but I'm not all that impressed if that is the roster. We'll have improved just not enough to really compete in the West. Just my opinion.
*puke*

TOO

Post by TOO »

Just eww, I'd rather keep PJ and start Kieff.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Well if that is true I'm really happy that Dragic is staying. As for Deng and Gasol it is hard to get excited by either of those guys. I wouldn't mind them on the team if their contracts make sense. I just don't see either guy picking us unless we overpay.

TOO

Post by TOO »

If those are the targets, 1yr 10M for each and try again next year.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:KJ > Dragic/Nash

Come at me, bitches! :lol:
KJ was my favorite player for many years, but I honestly have had more love and attachment for Nash, and honestly feel like he had the harder path, and struggled through more, and just gave a little extra. I also am not a big fan of KJ's post basketball career and ideologies, but thats a different topic, and I would never change my basketball opinion because of it.

Maybe i'm just older, and can understand and connect to a more current era, with more personal knowledge and history, then I did as a kid/teen during the earlier eras.

EDC

Post by EDC »

I wouldn't mind rolling with this lineup:

Bledsoe - Ennis
Dragic - Goodwin
Green - Marcus
? - Kieff
Plumlee - Len

We just need a serviceable pf. Preferably someone with 4-5 years in the league who still might have a chance to improve. We probably need to look at a defensive pf. If Tucker is gone we could use the boost on the defensive end. Dragic and Bledsoe can carry the offense.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I do think Len could learn a fair bit from Gasol, especially as I think thats the type of players the Suns will groom him to be.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

As much grief as we gave sdc a few months ago, I have always been generally in favor of us bringing Gasol in as a Sun. I just didn't want to trade assets for him. If he'd come here as a somewhat reasonably priced FA, I'd be delighted to sign him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Why is Scream'n A Smith such an @$$hat?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass