Channing Frye signs with Magic: 4 years, $32m

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: Channing Frye signs with Magic: 4 years, $32m

Post by Sunsfan4life »

SDC wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Well, there goes the longest-tenured Sun.
with him gone, only dragic remains from that special 2010 team. if i were dragic, i'm hoping to be traded too, even to milwaukee.
What? I doubt dragic really cares that Frye went to Orlando.....Are you really mad this guy got overpaid by 2-3 mil per?
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Sunsfan4life wrote:I hate this move for Orlando. Bu the time they are competitve Frye's contract will be an albatras. He isn't worth 8mil to begin with and he is kinda useless playing for a young non contending team.

I have no idea what Orlando is doing this off-season....first Gordon and now this
It's a surprising move, no doubt, but I believe it will be good for them. Leadership, veteran presence, space and shooting are things that the Magic absolutely lack. There's also the option, if Frye doesn't suck, that he is shopped later to winning teams. Most playoff teams can easily put together 8M of disposable contracts. But yeah, there is a reason as to why he is no a Phoenix Sun anymore.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't hate the Frye signing for them, though the $$$ is too high. But if they wanted good shooters, why did they just dump Afflalo? He was great for them last year. Why get rid of him and bring in Ben Gordon?? Do they want to stink or compete here?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Gordon was a favor from the FO. They knew him from when he was in Chicago, and I think his agent is Oladipo's agent, so there's a play there.

And I'm sure they want to get their young perimeter guys PT, so they moved Afflalo and can still have a shooter on the floor at the 4/5 opposite Vucevic and Harris.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:I don't hate the Frye signing for them, though the $$$ is too high. But if they wanted good shooters, why did they just dump Afflalo? He was great for them last year. Why get rid of him and bring in Ben Gordon?? Do they want to stink or compete here?
I think they want to give the keys of the team to Oladipo. Afflalo was fairly dominant for them last season, which could be seen as a problem for the development of their youth given how he trascended the 3D role. Also, Fournier is a nice asset and seems primed for a breakout season.

Frye, on the other hand, won't disrupt anything. He won't get in the way of Gordon, Harris or Harkless if they manage well their rotation, since he can play PF/C. And of course he should have a positive impact on the guards, as he plays the role of an enabler/executor. Again, allowing Vucevic to labor more freely in the post in nothing to scoff at either.

Is that worth 8M per? If you isolate the player's production the answer is obviously no, but it makes much more sense if it's seen as a mean to achieve a goal, in this case, extracting the most out of Oladipo. Under that light, the move is steep, but not pointless at all.

carey

Post by carey »

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if there would be a way to take Harkless/Nicholson off them? We may not need Harkless now with Warren in the fold, but I still like Nicholson a bit. His FG% dropped pretty badly from his rookie year tho. I thought he turned himself into a stretch 4, but I guess Orlando sees something different?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote: Maybe Dragic, Marcus Morris for Illyasova?
????????????????????????????????????????????????

!!!!!!

???????????????????????????????????

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:

!!!!!!

You summed up my feelings exactly.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Is Illyasova turkish for Love?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think i was going off the assumption that Dragic would be moved at some point. That wasn't just some, "hey let's trade Dragic for Illyasova" trade proposal.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
SDC wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Well, there goes the longest-tenured Sun.
with him gone, only dragic remains from that special 2010 team. if i were dragic, i'm hoping to be traded too, even to milwaukee.
What? I doubt dragic really cares that Frye went to Orlando.....Are you really mad this guy got overpaid by 2-3 mil per?
frye was a huge part of the suns success last season. losing him will hurt the suns.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Shabazz wrote:

!!!!!!

what did dragic do to you, shel? did he rape your sister of something?

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

I like Channing Frye, but him going to Orlando is not much of a loss to me. He's a forward whose 3-point shooting can be replaced.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Good player worth about 6 mil per on a four year contract, or 8 mil on a 2 year deal. Markieff and Marcus can do the same things he did. We do need a banger though.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

EXACTLY !!

He can't bump and bang with the other physical bigs at the PF position. He's a natural SF anyway.

The Morris twins can definitely replace what Channing brought to the table

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

They really can't. Neither can shoot the 3 as prolifically as Frye. and when Markieff, in particular, camps out at the 3-point line, the rest of his game suffers. His entire renaissance last season was based on Hornacek getting him off the 3-point line and more in the post and attacking the basket.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

First, great to see posts from you again INFORMER.

Second, Suns need a banger inside. No more stretch 4's.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Thanks Gene, and good to see you here as well.

There's nothing wrong with stretch 4s, but a presence in the paint is needed as well. I'm not advocating that the Suns should have kept Frye; I'm just saying Markieff isn't going to give you what Frye did.

And just to be clear, nearly every NBA champion in recent history has had a stretch player at the 4 or 5.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Uncle Gene and Mighty Moog. It's like deja vu all over again. :D

Welcome back, guys.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

MightyMoog is here to save the day, y'all.