Isaiah Thomas to Suns in Sign and Trade

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Isaiah Thomas to Suns in Sign and Trade

Post by TOO »

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinge ... sort/VORPe

IT2 stacks up pretty well across the board against most "top tier" PGs. True Shooting/Wins added/PER :geek:

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu wrote:Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Maybe it's not Bledsoe who's about to be on his way out. Maybe it's Ennis, in a trade with Toronto as Ring_ reminds us. Or (gulp) maybe it's Dragic, though it BETTER NOT BE.
my sense is that: a) bledsoe will not be resigned b) green will take the starting 2 spot. it wont be a thomas-dragic starting backcourt

TOO

Post by TOO »

SDC wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Maybe it's not Bledsoe who's about to be on his way out. Maybe it's Ennis, in a trade with Toronto as Ring_ reminds us. Or (gulp) maybe it's Dragic, though it BETTER NOT BE.
my sense is that: a) bledsoe will not be resigned b) green will take the starting 2 spot. it wont be a thomas-dragic starting backcourt
Green/Dragic = worst defensive backcourt ever.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

There were a lot of uninformed, negative assumptions voiced when the news started coming in that the Suns were serious about pursuing and signing him, but it seems like the tide is turning a bit and posters are starting to realize just how good he is. And the contract is perfect.

That's how you build a team when you aren't getting superstars, top lotto picks, and you're in a small market. You have to get good value on your contracts.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote: Green/Dragic = worst defensive backcourt ever.
It wasn't last year.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:There were a lot of uninformed, negative assumptions voiced when the news started coming in that the Suns were serious about pursuing and signing him, but it seems like the tide is turning a bit and posters are starting to realize just how good he is. And the contract is perfect.

That's how you build a team when you aren't getting superstars, top lotto picks, and you're in a small market. You have to get good value on your contracts.
Not from everyone :P

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't understand why some people are certain that signing IT2 means Bledsoe or Dragic have one foot out the door. We know saw how potent Bledsoe and Dragic were together, and how the team struggled when that chemistry was disrupted. Bringing in a legitimate third guy to add to that rotation ensures we'll have a dynamic backcourt for 48 minutes.

My only question about signing IT2 is what it means for Ennis. What happens if he earns a spot in the rotation during training camp and we still have three guys ahead of him?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote: Green/Dragic = worst defensive backcourt ever.
It wasn't last year.
Obviously I'm skewing to the extreme, because thats what I do, but those 2 together certainly wasnt a good or even average defensive pairing. Green was most effective with Smith and the MoBros versus the 2nd units.

carey

Post by carey »

Cause all those things are what NOLA said about Tyreke Evans. Not the same player, not same salary, but there are fit issues as the roster is currently constructed. I'm definitely in wait & see mode.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

This whole "Dragic is an awful defender" I think is overblown. Is he an All-NBA Defender? certainly not, but its not like he's Steve Nash back there.

I like IT2 A lot. I find it pretty funny that he and Jodie Meeks are almost getting paid the same amount and I love the way Phoenix constructed the deal. My question would be why draft Ennis if this was the guy you were targetting (clearly he seemed like the plan after LBJ who was a long shot).

The answer would be Phoenix was taking BPA, or atleast what they thought was BPA. I disagree for I thought thier were better players than Ennis at 18, but Mcdonaugh has stated he clearly does not care about positions and its being reflected in all his moves.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

SDC

Post by SDC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I don't understand why some people are certain that signing IT2 means Bledsoe or Dragic have one foot out the door.
wanna bet?

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

carey wrote:Cause all those things are what NOLA said about Tyreke Evans. Not the same player, not same salary, but there are fit issues as the roster is currently constructed. I'm definitely in wait & see mode.
I think this is a fair approach. I also think that Evans is imovable and is being paid like a starter, where if it doesn't workout The suns structured Thomas's deal so that he can be shipped out pretty easily.

I think the deal pays him the most money in year 1.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:Cause all those things are what NOLA said about Tyreke Evans. Not the same player, not same salary, but there are fit issues as the roster is currently constructed. I'm definitely in wait & see mode.
Where are the fit issues if he's being brought in as a 3rd guard?

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Where are the fit issues if he's being brought in as a 3rd guard?
Yet another ball dominant player that takes time away from Goodwin (and to a lesser extent Mr. Ennis*) is my main (and really only) concern at the moment.

*I'm also preemptively mourning the loss of all "ennis" jokes for the year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ennis is a non-factor this year, and as I've said previously, if Archie shows he's ready for touches, he'll get them. Also aren't all PGs ball dominant? Thats their role, I dont see it affecting Archie all that much unless you view him as a combo guard. I think he's strictly a 2.

Shoots left, writes right. Weird.

https://twitter.com/KaylaJasmin/status/487749136775532544

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

I was initially confused by the deal, but I love it. He will play big minutes and is insurance in case of injury to Bledsoe or Dragic. Even if there is a logjam, the contract is great. Would you rather have Thomas for 27 million over 4 years or Jordan Hill for 18 million over 2 years? We might even be able to get Bledsoe at a discount because what market is there really for him? Maybe Detroit and Milwaukee, and possibly Miami if they don't use up their remaining space on Deng. I guess Houston could throw a max offer at him if they don't match the ridiculous Parsons deal.

carey

Post by carey »

BigLewy wrote:I was initially confused by the deal, but I love it. He will play big minutes and is insurance in case of injury to Bledsoe or Dragic. Even if there is a logjam, the contract is great. Would you rather have Thomas for 27 million over 4 years or Jordan Hill for 18 million over 2 years? We might even be able to get Bledsoe at a discount because what market is there really for him? Maybe Detroit and Milwaukee, and possibly Miami if they don't use up their remaining space on Deng. I guess Houston could throw a max offer at him if they don't match the ridiculous Parsons deal.
Lakers. I don't think the 1 year Lin deal would effect them offering Bledsoe a max offer sheet. I still expect Nash to be stretched in the next couple of weeks.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

carey wrote:
BigLewy wrote:I was initially confused by the deal, but I love it. He will play big minutes and is insurance in case of injury to Bledsoe or Dragic. Even if there is a logjam, the contract is great. Would you rather have Thomas for 27 million over 4 years or Jordan Hill for 18 million over 2 years? We might even be able to get Bledsoe at a discount because what market is there really for him? Maybe Detroit and Milwaukee, and possibly Miami if they don't use up their remaining space on Deng. I guess Houston could throw a max offer at him if they don't match the ridiculous Parsons deal.
Lakers. I don't think the 1 year Lin deal would effect them offering Bledsoe a max offer sheet. I still expect Nash to be stretched in the next couple of weeks.
That's true, good point. I can't see McD letting him go to the Lakers though. But do the Lakers have enough cap space left after these signings? I thought I read they had less than $10 million left, but obviously stretching Nash would help in that area.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I haven't a clue what the Lakers Front office is doing. Nick Youngs contract for that type of team is Gross

carey

Post by carey »

I didn't see the Young contract. What was it?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!