Isaiah Thomas to Suns in Sign and Trade

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Isaiah Thomas to Suns in Sign and Trade

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it's funny that the last time free agency overpaid so many guys was 2010, the last time Lebron and friends were FAs. That year, everybody who struck out on the big guys overpaid somebody else.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:but I am not interested in playing Thomas-Dragic full time
What is full-time? The Suns have Goodwin, Green, and Ennis in addition to those two. They can easily add an Iman Shumpert (or some other guard) too. So I'm not sure any one combination has to receive an inordinate amount of the available playing time.
Full time means the majority of their playing time. For instance, I don't want to see them spending say 20 mpg on the court together.

Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

INFORMER wrote:Spend the new money when it gets here. I think it is foolhardy to count your chickens before they hatch and spend wantonly and recklessly like so many teams have done this offseason.

The salary floor is a non-issue. There is no penalty for spending under it, and there are plenty of ways to reach it. So I find the "pay Bledsoe because we have to reach the salary floor" argument far from compelling.

And you never assume you can just move a max contract guy whenever you want. It is even worse to do so in the case of Bledsoe for three reasons:

1) The league is stock with point guards to the point that the number of suitors is already going to be limited.

2) You have no idea what the offers will look like. When you're moving that much salary, especially in season, you're almost guaranteed to have to take back a player or contract you don't want. I see no reason for the Suns to paint themselves in that corner.

3) His injury history.

If you know for sure 1 dollar spent is worth 1,2 dollars 2 years down the road you are looking to spend that money now, that is the case with that new tv deal.

If this offseason we are able to manoeuvre or cap situation in a way that in 2016 we have the option to have 85 million committed in "2014-2015 cheap dollars".

Then our teams actual worth is 102(85*1,2) million dollars . (And Bledsoe´s 15 million contract is worth 12 million in todays dollars.)

+ time to sign plumlee (lets say 10 mill)

maxBled 2016 team assets 95 million adjusted for inflation 112 million (102 million+ Plumlee 10million)
BledWalk 2016 team assets 85 million adjusted for inflation 98 million (66*1,2+Plumlee 10 million+exception... payroll at cap entering 2016+ plumlee 2016 extension+ available to sign ~9 million player with exception )

So signing Bledsoe gives us the opportunity to have a team worth 112million enter 2016 season vs 98 million.

Bledsoe to me seems movable after this offseason and very movable in 2016 . I`m not terribly scared of that meniscus injury also, even if he had it completely removed there is a very high probability that it is not going to be and issue next 2 seasons.

To me its a low risk high reward situation.

*Salary floor works in a different way as i imagined it, so agreed that it does not affect nothing.

This text is so dry you gentlemen need some juice to digest it;

:P

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

We'll have to wait to see if the new TV deal makes the 2014 gross contracts look like 'legacy' assets from a past, cheaper era, but I don't need that to keep Bledsoe as long as his knee can hold up, but that's something I have no means to evaluate.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:INFy! Welcome.
SwingMan wrote: And, though I think your take on Bledsoe is bad, you still waited too damn long, INF. ;)
iLLmatic wrote: We LOVE you INF, please stay...
Superbone wrote: About time! Welcome back.
Gladiator wrote: Welcome back, INF.
Thanks gents.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

You bet, INF. 8-)

Now stick around for what promises to be a summer of intrigue, suspense and surprises.....

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:INFy! Welcome.
SwingMan wrote: And, though I think your take on Bledsoe is bad, you still waited too damn long, INF. ;)
iLLmatic wrote: We LOVE you INF, please stay...
Superbone wrote: About time! Welcome back.
Gladiator wrote: Welcome back, INF.
Thanks gents.
Please introduce yourself in the Newbie thread.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Lol.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INF, I imagine in your self-imposed exile, you traveled the internet seeking to form a connection with and understanding of the common message board poster, like Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins. Were you successful? Are you ready to save .net from the cautious optimism that plagues us? Have you learned to harness your snark and use it for good?

Why do we fall, INF?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I aim to become more than just a poster. I discovered that if I devote myself to an ideal, and if McDonough & Co. can't stop me, then I will become something else entirely: a legend, Shabazz.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Fans need a dramatic example to shake them out of mediocrity, and I can't do that as INFORMER. As a poster, I'm 1s and 0s; I can be ignored, I can be deleted. But as a symbol, as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

[youtube]StlMdNcvCJo[/youtube]

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:[youtube]StlMdNcvCJo[/youtube]
I've secretly buried this video in like ten replies to Informer over the years. Lol. +1 from me.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

INFORMER wrote:Fans need a dramatic example to shake them out of mediocrity, and I can't do that as INFORMER. As a poster, I'm 1s and 0s; I can be ignored, I can be deleted. But as a symbol, as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting.
... But how did you get those scars?

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:Fans need a dramatic example to shake them out of mediocrity, and I can't do that as INFORMER. As a poster, I'm 1s and 0s; I can be ignored, I can be deleted. But as a symbol, as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting.
LOL!!!

Is great to see you comeback in such a good humor, your back healed, and a successful jump out of that dark prison. Now go and disabled the "Dragic traded" bomb before it's blows up the .net

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

http://arizonasports.com/41/1750542/Sun ... mas-brings

Good article on Thomas and how Hornacek see him fitting in, with some other tidbits about the team.

On the PF spot
"We're going to have to move Markieff (Morris) to starting now, so that's going to give other guys like Marcus (Morris) more time at the 4 with the second group, so we just felt that someone who puts on a little more pressure scoring-wise can open up some of those other guys."
On Bledsoe:
"I think Eric and his people are just trying to find a place that gives him an offer sheet to see what we'll do with it," Hornacek said. "I think we're committed to do anything we can to keep him so I think it's probably just a matter of time until we work out a deal with him."

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Haha I love how blunt Hornecek is. Listening to Sarver then him during the Golden State Summer league game is like night and day. Hornecek is so sarcastic and personable and Sarver just comes off so douche.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Haha I love how blunt Hornecek is. Listening to Sarver then him during the Golden State Summer league game is like night and day. Hornecek is so sarcastic and personable and Sarver just comes off so douche.
Disagree about Sarver.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Me too, no problem with Sarver.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I'm starting to become a Sarver far, as crazy as that sounds.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton