Around the League: July 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Around the League: July 2014

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I do. At this point I believe it is a mental thing for him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here is a fun link. Lists of what various teams would look like if every possible player from that area "came home" to play for them. Bulls and Wiz looking pretty good, as well as the Charlotte Hornets.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/ ... id=espnsoc

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

As a Bay Area guy now, I try to keep up a little bit on the Warriors. Here's an interview with Steve Kerr about his preparing to get started as a coach:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/kerr ... be-command

carey

Post by carey »

Former Summer League stud Anthony Randolph may be available shortly.

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/488783625878376448

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Big time from Wiggins....

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/488854393245409281

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

carey wrote:Big time from Wiggins....

huh.

maybe the Cav's should keep Wiggins and let Love go somewhere else, not sure which GM said it but one of them in the Wiggens for Love banter wouldnt do it because he called Love so overrated and noted that he's never won anything.. and he's right on the latter, he's always been a great player on a lousy team.

That said, I'd take Love on the Suns anyday.
~~~~~

carey

Post by carey »

Love is a very good #2 that's never played with a #1 guy. He also can't stay healthy so Minnesota winds up sucking due to him missing a sizable chunk every year. The Wolves have been bit with the injury bug more than any team I can think of over the last five years.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SDC

Post by SDC »

DrSublime wrote:

huh.

maybe the Cav's should keep Wiggins and let Love go somewhere else, not sure which GM said it but one of them in the Wiggens for Love banter wouldnt do it because he called Love so overrated and noted that he's never won anything.. and he's right on the latter, he's always been a great player on a lousy team.

when david blatt said he wouldnt trade wiggins for love, i read that as: Love to Cleveland is not going to happen

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
DrSublime wrote:

huh.

when david blatt said he wouldnt trade wiggins for love, i read that as: Love to Cleveland is not going to happen
That's what I was thinking too, but either they are trying to sell MN on the merits of the rest of their roster or they are trying to increase the value of Wiggins in the trade.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

cleveland doesnt want to trade wiggins for Love. Most of us dont want to trade dragic for Love (unless he sings that extension). No team wants to trade anybody really valuable for Love.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:cleveland doesnt want to trade wiggins for Love. Most of us dont want to trade dragic for Love (unless he sings that extension). No team wants to trade anybody really valuable for Love.
Mostly because Love is not promising to resign to wherever he's traded. If he was committed to signing long term with the Suns I'm sure we'd hear more about trading Dragic for him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Very interesting comments from Chandler Parsons:
Chandler Parsons was "offended" when the Houston Rockets went searching in free agency for a third star in LeBron James, Chris Bosh or Carmelo Anthony instead of sticking with him. Now the former Rockets forward is ecstatic to be a third star with the Dallas Mavericks, and a lot richer, too.

"Honestly, I was offended by the whole process," Parsons told Yahoo Sports on Monday in a phone interview. "They publicly said that they were going out looking for a third star when I thought they had one right in front of them. I guess that's just how they viewed me as a player. I don't think I've scratched the surface of where I can be as a player and I think I'm ready for that role.

"You can't knock them for always trying to get better. [Houston general manager] Daryl Morey is very aggressive, is a genius, a great GM and I have nothing but respect for those guys. And they are looking to make their team better. That's what they were doing. I just thought I could be that guy that could do that."
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/new-maveri ... 11610.html
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Rockets got caught looking at the grass on the other side and got burned.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Morey had a good plan but the timing was not good for him. LeBron took too much time to make up his mind, or to announce his decision. They tried Melo, but he probably didn't take the Rockets seriously. Then Bosh was too busy too with his own stuff and waiting for LeBron. Meanwhile the Mavs took advantage and got Parsons to sign an offer sheet that according to the plan shouldn't have existed after securing that 3rd star. The Heat also reacted quickly and did what they had to do to keep Bosh.

The result was a depleted roster and a huge offer sheet that if matched would have crippled Houston's cap sitation. So they went with Ariza instead at a 'cheaper' price.

Probably the biggest losers this offseason, besides the Heat of course.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, Morey messed this one up. He is normally a great GM but there have been comments coming out lately where players day they feel like they are just assets to be flipped. Morey needs to find a balance where he is always trying to improve but still takes care of his guys.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

They are not totally screwed, though. With little effort they can have max cap space right away, for Bledsoe for instance, or they can limit their spending this summer to one year contracts and try their luck next year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think there are a lot of folks around the NBA feeling bad for Morey. He outsmarted himself this time and it cost him a very good player.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I read that Frye's contract is actually decreasing, for what it's worth.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:I don't think there are a lot of folks around the NBA feeling bad for Morey. He outsmarted himself this time and it cost him a very good player.
I don't know if I'd have left Parsons go. Right now it's the right move if you look at it as Ariza 8M vs Parsons 15M while assuming that production wise it is a wash, which is not true but still.

The thing is that next summer they'll have to do the same homework, with no guarantees either. If the price of free agents doesn't go down, and the tendency is exactly the opposite, whoever they target next year will be in the same range or more, and who knows if they'll get rejected again by the top tier stars only to have to spend the same 15M on Paul Millsap, Rudy Gay or Klay Thomson.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I read that Frye's contract is actually decreasing, for what it's worth.
the suns can trade for him next season.