Suns Summer League 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns Summer League 2014

Post by In2ition »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Rotoworld does a nice summer league recap every day.

They praise Warren and Rip Ennis.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/4 ... -summary-2
It's only one game, but after one game it looks like they should have taken Gary Harris.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Marble got a contract with the Magic. I hope he gets some playing time, I really like his game.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ennis looked a lot better last night. He adjusted to the speed of the game and was a lot quicker, and more decisive. He's a legit PG, knows what he's doing out there and leads. It's pretty impressive to see.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I love Plumlee, but he needs to work on his conditioning. A lot. Still trying to develop his hook and bank shot. He is flirting with a fadeaway too. It's ok, but more cardio first.

Archie's handles are much more mature and under control. Still as incisive as last season. The glitch in his release persists, although seems smoother.

Ennis is better than Marshall, for what it's worth. Probably won't be a star but looks solid. You should surround him with executors, because off the ball he is of little use, though. Ennis feeding Curry is interesting.

Brown can't physically stay on the court with that lack of weight. For those who liked point at Frye, this is what 'one trick pony' actually looks like.

TJ looks like he is who we thought. It's not surprising that he scored. This competition is probably worse than college if you have a consolidated game with go to moves or you are a beast and are super motivated. Less polished prospects can have it rough, but that's certainly not TJ's problem. He has to show more in the other areas, although there is potential.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I love Plumlee, but he needs to work on his conditioning. A lot. Still trying to develop his hook and bank shot. He is flirting with a fadeaway too. It's ok, but more cardio first.

Archie's handles are much more mature and under control. Still as incisive as last season. The glitch in his release persists, although seems smoother.

Ennis is better than Marshall, for what it's worth. Probably won't be a star but looks solid. You should surround him with executors, because off the ball he is of little use, though. Ennis feeding Curry is interesting.

Brown can't physically stay on the court with that lack of weight. For those who liked point at Frye, this is what 'one trick pony' actually looks like.

TJ looks like he is who we thought. It's not surprising that he scored. This competition is probably worse than college if you have a consolidated game with go to moves or you are a beast and are super motivated. Less polished prospects can have it rough, but that's certainly not TJ's problem. He has to show more in the other areas, although there is potential.
Plumlee will get in better conditioning. I think he took a bit of time off and only started working on the conditioning since Summer league practice started. I didn't think it was that big of a deal. He played most of the game. He looked better offensively in this game, but has a ton of work to still do.

Archie looks better this year. Even with the glitch, he probably can survive that and turn into a good consistent shooter. Still needs to get stronger, but definitely looks like a rotational player with still a huge upside.

Ennis is definitely better than Marshall. As the game went on, he played better and understood what to do and how he could do it. This shows that he is improving and making adjustments. I expect him to keep showing improvement, between games and in game.

Brown needs to get a lot stronger, but that's not a surprise and is expected. I hope that they have a good strength and conditioning coach in Bakersfield. He still seems about 2 years away of living in the weight room to get the strength and speed he needs to compete in the NBA. His shot was much better in the second half of the second game, and he didn't just chuck it up as soon as he got it too. Those were positive signs of him learning when and when not to take those.

I wouldn't call the Summer league worse than college. College is full of a bunch of guys that won't even get invited to play in the summer league. He's going to score, because of how he gets his points. It's sometimes unorthodox, he gets his shot off in close very quickly at different angles. He's going to be able to score in the NBA. The way he scores is going to be hard to defend. He gets run outs, knows angles to the hoop and can take odd angles to the basket. He gets the ball off after contact and is opportunistic in garbage buckets. He obviously needs work on his range, but doesn't need the 3 point shot to put up points. I like how active he has been on defense. It sucked that we only saw a little bit of him in the second game, and I was looking forward to seeing him make his presence known through the rest of the game. Oh well, looking forward to the next one.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:Ennis looked a lot better last night. He adjusted to the speed of the game and was a lot quicker, and more decisive. He's a legit PG, knows what he's doing out there and leads. It's pretty impressive to see.
So much better than Marshall it's not even funny.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kemdndall Marshall was a good passer, but that was literally all he was good at. I liked his potential as a bench PG, but the fact that he had an attitude sealed the deal for me.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:Ennis looked a lot better last night. He adjusted to the speed of the game and was a lot quicker, and more decisive. He's a legit PG, knows what he's doing out there and leads. It's pretty impressive to see.
So much better than Marshall it's not even funny.

He's better then Marshall, But I still don't see him being more then a quality backup at best in this league. I'm not judging this off of 2 summer league games, I just wasn't a huge fan of his at Syracuse. He is going to struggle athletically, that part is already on display at the Summer league. His inability to use his left hand is showing as well, but he is composed he has handled himself the best in 4th quarter situations which is nice to see and he has a nice floater in the lane that he has used. He was very good in clutch situations at Syracuse as well.

I have a friend who says I overrate suns players debating me that Ennis will be better than I say he is. He thinks his ceiling his Starter on a good-great team...I he is right and ennis proves me wrong.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Ennis kind of looks like a small version on Nick Johnson.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Interesting article on TJ Warren's summer league scoring and whether he can transfer it to the NBA.

http://upsidemotor.com/2014/07/15/t-j-w ... gue-debut/

carey

Post by carey »

I thought the Summer League was a bit longer but...

https://twitter.com/Espo/status/489247153865228288

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:I thought the Summer League was a bit longer but...
The championship game is on Monday.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm not sure if the final Suns summer league game is on TV or not but they play Friday at 1:00 pm AZ/PT.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Brown hits a three to open the game and then looks like he hurts his left shoulder boxing out on a rebound on the other end. Geesh

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:I'm not sure if the final Suns summer league game is on TV or not but they play Friday at 1:00 pm AZ/PT.
It comes on at 10:30 pm on NBA tv i believe

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Just checked DirecTV and it looks like the consolation game will be shown tonight at 10:30 pm AZ/PT on NBATV. Go ahead and start a thread if you'd like, In2. I'll check back in after I watch tonight.

ETA: You beat me to it, WW.

"Be Legendary."