Summer League: 76ers VS Suns

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Summer League: 76ers VS Suns

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Grant Hill has the personality of a shrub.
I'd like to meet your shrubs.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:
carey wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
The Bobster wrote:You can't have to much young talent.
Ryan McDonough would disagree.
Aren't you blowing this a bit out of proportion? Don't we have 4 guys 20 or younger? So we don't have 5, we are still doing alright in that department.
Like I've said before, it's not that I have to have x number of rookies at any given time, or that I need x number of players under xx age. I just want a GM that is willing and capable of making the most of the resources given to him. I don't think a mandate against 3 rookies is consistent with that criteria. If that's blowing things out of proportion, then I guess guilty as charged.
I trust that he understands the necessary allotment of resources to develop talent & succeed. If he thinks 4 really young guys is the most we can handle at once & be successful then I'm ok with that.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sunsfan4life wrote:AND PLUMLEE DROPS THE ANVIL!!!

He's had a real nice night
He sure did. That hammer drop was fun to watch. I liked how active he was. He had some fantastic blocks. Especially the all-ball one where they called a foul (wrongly).

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Is it weird that Nerlens Noel's legs freak me out? I watched him yesterday I think it was, and it looks like he wears metal prosthetics from the shorts down.. Eww.
Strange that he can't play back-to-backs in freaking summer league!

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Just an overall awesome performence by TJ. 28 and 11. Hustling into the stands, a lot of putback dunks.
Gonna be a boss in this league....Loved the pick on draft night and even more fired up now bout it
Yep, masterful performance. He's doing it all. Excited to watch him play this year. He's going to get time with this team. He's ready to go NOW!

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Heh. How did I know that was coming? #McDout 8-)

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote: I trust that he understands the necessary allotment of resources to develop talent & succeed. If he thinks 4 really young guys is the most we can handle at once & be successful then I'm ok with that.
That's good for you. But I don't have that confidence to where I'm willing to set aside my own opinion and proclaim whatever McDonough does as great or right. He hasn't earned that confidence from me yet.

I'm not telling you to get off the Ryan Train to 0 & _____ ; so don't expect me to hop on.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

:D

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't think anybody here thinks McDonough is infallible. He's done really well for us overall but one could argue that so far, drafting has been his biggest weakness. But even then, I think it's too early to make that assessment. The other question is whether he should have done something last trade deadline to put us in contention but that's debatable as well.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Heh. How did I know that was coming? #McDout 8-)
If you're going to join the movement, at least get your spelling right.

#teamMcDoOut.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

TJ Warren is already better than Marcus. Maybe Tucker too.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Shabazz wrote:TJ Warren is already better than Marcus. Maybe Tucker too.
Question from me who can't see the games Is, hows his D? 11 boards, 6 offensive is great, but if we are talking about him being better than Tucker (remembering that this is still only summer league), do we loose a lot of D or does what we make in O potentially offset what we'd loose on D?
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think they're all different players. I didn't see too many games last year so I can't speak on Marcus' development, but when I've watched him play, I just kind of see a 6-9 forward out there who doesn't do anything exceptional. PJ...you know what you're getting.

TJ is a different beast all together. He can flat out score. He can't necessarily shoot it, and he's not a scorer that needs the ball in his hands. He just knows how to score from midrange on in, and how to pick his spots, get behind a defense, run the floor. His defense isn't terrible, and there definitely effort. He's not a big 6-8 though, he's a bit slight and could stand to add about 10lbs of solid muscle. I know he lost a bunch of weight in college to improve his athleticism, but now he needs some strength. He doesn't stand out either way defensively, and has made some plays in the passing lane with his length. But he's not a lockdown, dog you 90feet kind of guy.

Of the 3, Marcus is last on my list. PJ is all defense, hustle and a 3pt shot, TJ can make plays and score off the ball. I know there was talk of Marcus sliding in as a backup 4 now but we'll see what Tolliver brings to the table.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

It's nice having a change up. Pj to lock down threats and Tj to be the offensive threat. Will be interesting to see him and Archie develop particularly as both could give opposing teams fits.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I think they'll both complement each other in that regard.

Archie's very exciting. He just needs to fix that shot.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Warren is making me think that Marcus Morris may have trouble getting minutes on this team.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

With Tolliver's signing now, I think it's just a matter of time. The question is, and I said this when we acquired Marcus, how will it affect one if we need to trade/get rid of the other.

EDC

Post by EDC »

TJ highlights.

[youtube]UeabEvq0DrE[/youtube]

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Thanks for posting. I saw the game last night but it's for others to watch. You just don't see guys like that in the league right now who know how to score without the ball. You think "scorer" and you envision a ball dominant slasher or volume shooter but Warren doesn't seem to be that. He's just got an array of shots around the basket from floaters to flip shots and just has a knack for scoring. I think his ability to cut from either side of the floor is huge since we'll most likely have two PGs out there on either wing. I don't expect him to create a lot, either for himself or others so having scoring PGs who can garner a defense's attention is key. You saw him get behind the defense along the baseline and Ennis (credit to him) knew to find him.

carey

Post by carey »

The pass & catch on the 2nd bucket is one of the reasons he's going to be good. Like Amare he just catches whatever is in his orbit.

That floater is so money.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!