2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:54 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:27 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:18 am
Democritus wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:13 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:32 am

How old is Tatum? Or Simmons? Or Embiid? Or Mitchell?
All these players would not make our beloved Suns a playoff contender by themselves.
I would love Simmons... Simmons/Booker/Bridges/Jackson/Ayton is a pretty fantastic lineup that would almost always have more talent than the opposing team. Maybe their inexperience eventually trips them up, but that's a playoff team
Democritus is talking about the pressure that some are placing on Booker to lead rookies and unproven players to the playoffs.

It's not fair to compare Booker to those other stars who all have veteran teams with other top tier talent. None of those guys was the focal point of the team coming into the season, much less the most experienced player. As it stands, the only guys in the projected rotation with more NBA experience than Booker are Chandler, Knight, and Warren.

As much as we like the young guys, Booker is the one proven nba player on our roster.
I know, I just got carried away thinking about putting Booker with Simmons...maybe that's how most people saw the potential Doncic/Booker pairing.
:) It would be a fun lineup! And yes, that's what I thought Doncic's potential would be, except that Doncic can shoot.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:27 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:18 am
Democritus wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:13 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:32 am
Democritus wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:22 am

Isn't it a lot of pressure for a 22-year-old kid to carry his team mentally and physically to the playoffs? I guess we are rushing things a little bit here. Just look at the injuries which Booker had the last year.
And at the very moment what we have more from last year are only two rookies. High expectations my let us down again. My only expectation for the next year is a watchable young team who has fun being on the court. And maybe I'm waiting for some dunks from Ayton over Joel.
How old is Tatum? Or Simmons? Or Embiid? Or Mitchell?
All these players would not make our beloved Suns a playoff contender by themselves.
I would love Simmons... Simmons/Booker/Bridges/Jackson/Ayton is a pretty fantastic lineup that would almost always have more talent than the opposing team. Maybe their inexperience eventually trips them up, but that's a playoff team
Democritus is talking about the pressure that some are placing on Booker to lead rookies and unproven players to the playoffs.

It's not fair to compare Booker to those other stars who all have veteran teams with other top tier talent. None of those guys was the focal point of the team coming into the season, much less the most experienced player. As it stands, the only guys in the projected rotation with more NBA experience than Booker are Chandler, Knight, and Warren.

As much as we like the young guys, Booker is the one proven nba player on our roster.
When Hayward went down day 1, and then Kyrie later, Tatum was just as much a leader on that team as Horford. And he is 19, in his first year of the league. He was amazing. It is a lot to ask, but Booker has had 3 years to build his skills. It is his time to put it all together, especially considering he is going to get a $156M contract. You can't get that kind of money and then bemoan how young your are or talk about having too much pressure. That is all I was saying. Is it fair? I don't know. But it isn't any less fair than it is for the other guys.

Here is a question--Does Boston get as far as they did if you simply swap Booker and Tatum before the season starts? Or Booker/Embiid? I don't think either of those teams are better off this season with those trades.

The only one I think would be better would be Utah.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Booker and Tatum are pretty similar actually, just Tatum has that ideal size at 6-9 220. But both are incredibly smooth offensively players tho, Tatum a better defender and Booker more offensive minded. I think it'd be a wash actually, but Tatum also has guys like Brown and even Smart taking the load off defensively.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Democritus wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:22 am
And maybe I'm waiting for some dunks from Ayton over Joel.
I would love that. Even better, block his shot and hold him under his average.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Booker can "put it all together" all day long, but we aren't going to the playoffs unless about 4 other guys also "put it all together".
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Why is ESPN saying the Suns might sign Cousins or Capela? :? Twin Towers? :lol: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2390 ... -lakers-do
The future is suddenly intriguing. Enough to lure DeMarcus Cousins, or to overpay Clint Capela with an offer sheet? At least now it's actually a plausible scenario.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They're dumb.. I think I'd sign a guard (Tyreke, Barton, Smart, Bradley) then use Warren/Chriss/Daniels/Mil 1st to look for our stretch 4.

FA Guard, Okobo, Ulis or Harrison
Booker, Knight, King
Jackson, Bridges, Reed
Stretch 4, Bender, Dudley
Ayton, Chandler, Williams

I'd also be fine to stand pat:

Knight, Okobo, Ulis or Harrison
Booker, Bridges, Daniels
Jackson, Warren, Reed or King
Bender, Chriss, Dudley
Ayton, Chandler, Williams

I think that team can win 30-35 games and be ready for a big splash next summer.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:01 pm
Why is ESPN saying the Suns might sign Cousins or Capela? :? Twin Towers? :lol: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2390 ... -lakers-do
The future is suddenly intriguing. Enough to lure DeMarcus Cousins, or to overpay Clint Capela with an offer sheet? At least now it's actually a plausible scenario.
I wouldnt at all be opposed to the idea of either, Cousins showed last year he can play with another big, he wants to play on the perimeter on offense.

Although I think it would be a gross misuse of cap space to sign either of them when you have a gaping hole at PG barring Knight or Okobo turning into something good.

Capela ws my top target had we went Doncic, but we didn't. Ho hum.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:12 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:01 pm
I wouldnt at all be opposed to the idea of either, Cousins showed last year he can play with another big, he wants to play on the perimeter on offense.
I don't think the Suns want his attitude, but you're almost talking me into it. If it could work with Cousins playing PF, that would be an instant playoff team.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Idk why, but I really see the Suns being the silent dark-horse that hasn't been talked about at all in the LeBron sweepstakes. No one is talking about them and they could make a ton of sense and get in on it from a different angle without anyone knowing or predicting it to go.

I don't get the Cousins and Capela rumors, and perhaps it's just misdirection.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:32 pm
Idk why, but I really see the Suns being the silent dark-horse that hasn't been talked about at all in the LeBron sweepstakes. No one is talking about them and they could make a ton of sense and get in on it from a different angle without anyone knowing or predicting it to go.

LeBron/Booker/JJ/Bridges/Ayton *drools*

Split T

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:42 pm
In2ition wrote:

LeBron/Booker/JJ/Bridges/Ayton *drools*
Would be fun... LeBron would surely be frustrated with the youth but that team would definitely beat everyone not named Houston and Golden State in the West.... And it's better than the crap LeBron dragged to the finals this year.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Yup. We're actually a pretty good fit for LeBron from a talent standpoint. Better than he'd get from any other realistic landing spot, short of maybe Philly.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Yep, this is what I've been saying. If LeBron wants to go to a West team with unproven young talent, then Phoenix beats out the Lakers big time with our talent!

Knight
Booker
Jackson
LeBron
Ayton

With Bridges, Okobo, Warren, Bender off the bench.

And that's without any other trades or FA signings! We would still have the assets to make a trade for a veteran PG (especially if we included Bridges or Jackson plus future firsts)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Thoughts on Mo Harkless? Would Portland trade him? Can he be our stretch 4?

Shot 41% from 3 last year
Solid defensively
Doesn't add much on the boards
More of a wing, but is 6'9

Signed for 2 more years at 10-11 Mil per year

Not sure what Portland would like on our roster... Could just salary dump him to us to avoid the tax.

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Solid defensively

Not sure what Portland would like on our roster... Could just salary dump him to us to avoid the tax.
Do you like him better than Warren? Equal money annually but we'd get out of the contract 2 years early. Doesn't rebound, doesn't pass. Looks like the only thing he does is shoot the 3. PER significantly lower than Warren's. Not sure I'd do it. If I just wanted out of the contract I could probably find a better deal.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:
Sadly, we probably have the worst relationship in the league with Klutch sports. Of course, LeBron goes where LeBron wants to go. I don't see him giving us even a cursory glance though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

carey wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:37 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sadly, we probably have the worst relationship in the league with Klutch sports. Of course, LeBron goes where LeBron wants to go. I don't see him giving us even a cursory glance though.
James Jones is a close friend of his. I think he could get a meeting with him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:31 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Solid defensively

Do you like him better than Warren? Equal money annually but we'd get out of the contract 2 years early. Doesn't rebound, doesn't pass. Looks like the only thing he does is shoot the 3. PER significantly lower than Warren's. Not sure I'd do it. If I just wanted out of the contract I could probably find a better deal.
I think he's a better fit than Warren because he defends and can shoot. Warren overall is a better player, but I'm struggling to figure out how we're going to use him without impeding Jackson/Bridges/Bender/Chriss. He could really make this team easier to assemble if he figured out how to shoot.

jonh

Post by jonh »

carey wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:37 pm
In2ition wrote:
Yeah, its an interesting idea, and it really could be the situation that is best for Lebron, basketball talent-wise, but I have a hard time seeing that as a realistic possibility.