Predict Ryan McDonough's future time with the Suns:

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Quits after 3 games (formally tweeting about leaving the organization in a hair salon with Eric Bledsoe)
No votes
Fired sometime during the season
8%
Fired at the end of the season
8%
His contract is not renewed (Scheduled to end at the end of the 2019-2020 season)
15%
Contract renewed despite the Suns not making the playoffs for 10 seasons
46%
Contract renewed following the Suns surprising WCF run
23%

Total votes: 13

jonh

Post by jonh »

Just curious about the forum's current projection concerning McD's time with the Suns. This isn't asking for your personal evaluation of McD's performance so far--it is your predictions about his future with the organization during this season and beyond.

I feel it is important to acknowledge this thread is not likely to contain any new information--I see it more as a chance to check the forum's perceptions about McD's employment status heading into next season. Plus its August, and so there is not going to be a ton of new information to share for the next few weeks anyways.

Mori Chu

Re: Predict Ryan McDonough's future time with the Suns:

Post by Mori Chu »

They already seem to be maneuvering into a position where they can replace McDo if needed. James Jones is now around waiting in the wings. For the record I don't think Jones is ready to be a lead GM of a team, though he might get there someday.

I do worry that Saver and the other top people may have unrealistic expectations. They may falsely think that this 2018-19 team is a playoff team. It isn't, at least not very likely. If they expect 30 wins they're likely to be happy with this season. If they expect 50, they're going to be disappointed.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It's impossible for them to not make the playoffs for 10 years after only 9 years. :P

EDIT: Unless you meant it would be at least 10 seasons between playoffs appearances if they miss out this year.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I can see Ryan making a massive overpay for an establshed name like Love, Walker or Lillard during the season.
But then being let go if you don’t make or aren’t on the cusp of the playoffs if Sarver runs out of patience. They decide they want a fresh face to try and help with free agent signings next offseason.
I don’t think playoffs are realistic this year btw

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If Ayton flops McD goes at the end of the year. I think he lasts the rest of the contact tho. Ayton should show some real promise and while we won't make the playoffs this year, the core will look good with Booker, Jackson, TJ, Bridges and Ayton on board and Igor coaching. How he shakes out the roster and adds a PG and PF....your guess is as good as mine. But he most likely won't get fired over it.
Last edited by ShelC on Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonh

Post by jonh »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:06 pm
If Ayton flops McD goes at the end of the year. I think he lasts the rest of the contact tho. Ayton should show some real promise and while we won't make the playoffs this year, the core will look good with Booker, Jackson, TJ, Bridges and Ayton on board and Igor coaching. How he shakes out the roster and add a PG and PF....your guess is as good as mine. But he most likely won't get fired over it.
I could see that. Another interesting question (to me) would be "what would it take for McD to be fired this season (either during or at the end of the season)"? Does a bottom-5 finish for the 4th straight year get him there? Im not sure.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't think I see him getting fired. But I could see either him finishing out his contract and then getting replaced or getting a new contract all based on how the next two seasons go. The team has to show improvement the next two years. I don't expect playoffs this year but I do next year.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

jonh wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:39 pm
Another interesting question (to me) would be "what would it take for McD to be fired this season (either during or at the end of the season)"? Does a bottom-5 finish for the 4th straight year get him there? Im not sure.
The record won't matter but if Jackson doesn't make strides and Ayton looks like a bust? Then he's a McGoner.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I also could see him going if we end up in a position similar to what we had with Markieff, Goran, and Bledsoe where they go public with a trade demand and the season kind of implodes. Could happen with guys like Knight, TJ or Tyson if they aren't happy with their roles or minutes.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:03 am
I also could see him going if we end up in a position similar to what we had with Markieff, Goran, and Bledsoe where they go public with a trade demand and the season kind of implodes. Could happen with guys like Knight, TJ or Tyson if they aren't happy with their roles or minutes.
I am hoping that having a strong coach will help limit the impact of Ryan's ineptitude when dealing with players like Pokemon cards.

jonh

Post by jonh »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:03 am
I also could see him going if we end up in a position similar to what we had with M******f, Goran, and Bledsoe where they go public with a trade demand and the season kind of implodes. Could happen with guys like Knight, TJ or Tyson if they aren't happy with their roles or minutes.
I don't think its as much an issue with Knight or Chandler, but I think Warren absolutely is a likely candidate of being disgruntled, and I would add JJ, Bridges, and Chriss in that group.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the most likely guys to get grumpy this season, in some order, are Warren, Chriss, and Knight.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Totally forgot about Chriss but yea I could see him pouting big time if he's limited or out of the rotation at some point. If Knight plays himself out of the rotation or for some reason starts the season coming off the bench, I don't expect him to keep quiet about it.

If TJ's getting starters minutes and getting his numbers I think he'll be OK. He's got his money, he can be a 6th Man candidate and can be on the floor closing out games. Bridge is a rook so if he sees minutes, great. If not, there's always next year.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:50 am
I think the most likely guys to get grumpy this season, in some order, are Warren, Chriss, and Knight.
I might be putting too much emphasis on how much JJ struggled during summer league, but I found myself wondering if he sees his playing time diminish as the season goes on if he reverts back to his form early last season.

Regardless, I do agree that it would be hard to see some players on this roster not being disgruntled/demanding trades during the season (unless the team is really winning, of course. Winning can smooth over a lot of problems).

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:10 am
Totally forgot about Chriss but yea I could see him pouting big time.
FTFY. ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

jonh wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:28 am
Regardless, I do agree that it would be hard to see some players on this roster not being disgruntled/demanding trades during the season (unless the team is really winning, of course. Winning can smooth over a lot of problems).
There are 6 forwards on the roster who all are telling themselves they will get big minutes even if they don't start.

You can draw up decent 9 or 10 man rotation if you leave 2 of them completely out and limit the minutes of the other 4.

The two who seem most likely to accept a year of waiting and development are Bender and Bridges, but they are going to be hard to bench because we will need their shooting and defense.

Our spacing will stink if we play two of Chriss / Warren / Jackson together. We are going to have to bench at least one of those guys.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Knight - 30mpg
Booker - 36
Jackson - 32
Ariza - 30
Ayton- 34
Warren - 30
Bender - 22
Chriss - 22

That's 8 right there totaling 236 minutes. No backup PG, no backup C getting minutes, no minutes for Bridges. I could see times where Booker and/or Jackson share ball handling duties if/when Knight is on the bench. I could see us going small with Chriss and/or Bender at the 5 to get them minutes depending on matchups. But that's really it. Will Shaq steal minutes from Knight? Tyson might see spot minutes here and there. Holmes? He'd have to take minutes away from Bender or Chriss (which is entirely possible). Unless we just decide to share minutes all around and keep guys like Jackson, Warren, Ariza at 24-26 minutes each to free up minutes elsewhere, I don't know whose time gets cut.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't see any possibility of Knight and Ariza averaging 30mpg this season.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:56 pm
I don't see any possibility of Knight and Ariza averaging 30mpg this season.
I’d agree about Ariza, but as currently constructed, there really isn’t a good backup for knight. If his body holds up, I could absolutely see him everything close to 30 minutes a game (unfortunately).

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think 30 is conservative given he's averaged 34mpg the past 8 years, he's still only 32 years old and we signed him with the intention of playing him.

If Knight is playing well and within the system, 30 seems reasonable. If he's not, there's no use in playing him at all.