Around the League: August 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: August 2014

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:Andrew Wiggins Cavaliers jerseys ‘discontinued’ at NBA’s online store

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... er=ya5nbcs
I hate that they're trading him. I was looking forward to seeing him and LeBron play together. I would be livid if I were a Cavs fan.
OTOH, I'd be pretty giddy if I was a TWolves fan.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:Andrew Wiggins Cavaliers jerseys ‘discontinued’ at NBA’s online store

I hate that they're trading him. I was looking forward to seeing him and LeBron play together. I would be livid if I were a Cavs fan.
I'm not as down on it as you are. I think Love is highly underrated and he's only 25. They can have a solid 7 year run together and they still have assets to add pieces. Wiggins reaching his peak will coincide with LeBron exiting his and there are just too many unknowns (injuries, luck, etc) not to try and "go for it" right now. And like I said - it' s not like they're trading for an over the hill veteran. Love still has improving to do.

What I like about it the least is the fact that Love is an UFA after the season (assuming he doesn't opt-in). If they make that trade and he leaves it will be a huge setback.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The "go for it" argument does nothing for me because I think at worst, as Cleveland is currently constituted, is a conference semifinalist. And I thought that before Paul George went down. Who honestly is better than them? Their stiffest competition is Chicago and who knows if Rose can even last a season.

Cleveland's big problem is how are they going to beat a Western Conference team, and trading for Love isn't going to change that. They're trading for a guy that Tyson Chandler feels he can score at will against. What's going to happen when they face an OKC? LAC? Shoot, Love guarding Diaw or Duncan is a train wreck waiting to happen.

This is just another example of LeBron playing GM and a team going for the numbers and vet experience over actual talent.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

OTOH, I'd be pretty giddy if I was a TWolves fan.
They are going to have ridiculous talent. Bennett, Wiggins, Zach LaVine, the other Shabazz, Gorgui Dieng, Glenn Robinson III. That's a terrific situation. Too bad it may be wasted by Flip Saunders. I would love it if Hornacek was dealt that hand. Oh well, at least we have Tyler Ennis.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:Oh well, at least we have Tyler Ennis.
:roll:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote: Cleveland's big problem is how are they going to beat a Western Conference team
Agreed.
and trading for Love isn't going to change that.
Disagree.
This is just another example of LeBron playing GM and a team going for the numbers and vet experience over actual talent.
Again, they're trading for a top 5-8 player in the NBA. He's pretty freaking talented.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I'm sorry, let me try that again:

Oh well, AT LEAST WE HAVE TYLER ENNIS!!!

Better?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote: Again, they're trading for a top 5-8 player in the NBA. He's pretty freaking talented.
It's not about him not being talented, it's about Wiggins' talent being more valuable for winning. Love's stretch ability and rebounding don't trump Wiggins' off-the-charts athleticism, defensive prowess, and ability to get his own shot, IMO.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:Bennett, Wiggins, Zach LaVine
All drafted before the Suns picked.
INFORMER wrote:Shabazz
Bust. Rather have Goodwin anyway.
INFORMER wrote:Gorgui Dieng
You were not a fan of drafting him. I remember this distinctly because I was one of the few who thought he was a good prospect in our draft discussion.
INFORMER wrote:Glenn Robinson III
Unknown. Didn't exactly light it up in college. More likely to be a career 8th-9th man than a significant contributor to a winner.
INFORMER wrote:Better?
Better. :)
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Bennett, Wiggins, Zach LaVine
All drafted before the Suns picked.
So? I wasn't implying the Wolves drafted players the Suns passed on.
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Shabazz
Bust.
That's one of the silliest things you ever posted.
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Gorgui Dieng
You were not a fan of drafting him.
Again: so?! In his limited appearances last year he was tremendous. I'm I suppose to ignore that because he wasn't a guy I personally promoted?
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Glenn Robinson III
Unknown. Didn't exactly light it up in college. More likely to be a career 8th-9th man than a significant contributor to a winner.
He was terrific value in the second round. Very smart pick at the time, regardless of how he turns out.

TOO

Post by TOO »

History usually sides with the team that gets the best player, I see this as pretty much the same thing. I like Wiggins, but I Love is an all-NBA PF who passes, rebounds, scores. That is harder to come by than a high upside wing player imo. I'm not entirely convinced Wiggins will be special.

I do think if Minny can squeeze Thad Young outta Philly for Bennett they'd have done pretty well.

pickle

Post by pickle »

INFORMER wrote: They are going to have ridiculous talent. Bennett, Wiggins, Zach LaVine, the other Shabazz, Gorgui Dieng, Glenn Robinson III. That's a terrific situation. Too bad it may be wasted by Flip Saunders. I would love it if Hornacek was dealt that hand. Oh well, at least we have Tyler Ennis.
i find it interesting, inf, that you don't have ricky rubio in that list. are you focusing specifically on the young guns? rubio isn't that old himself, is he? or do you not believe that he's capable of running a contender?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Love's stretch ability and rebounding don't trump Wiggins' off-the-charts athleticism, defensive prowess, and ability to get his own shot, IMO.
I guess it just comes down to, do you think Wiggins is going to be a really good NBA player in the next 5-6 years? I think he sounds pretty good, but you just don't ever know for sure with incoming rookies. I would certainly not call him a "sure thing" or anything like that.

Kevin Love isn't a perfect NBA player, but he's a top-10 talent, he gives the Cavs things they really need, he's a known quantity, and he'll be in his prime for the next 5-6 years. Their main problem with him will be that their overall starting 5 isn't a great defensive team. I can totally see them getting all the way to the NBA Finals and then getting stomped by the Spurs or OKC because of it. But that'd still be a very impressive first season in for Cleveland, and they could look for defense and rim protection in the following offseason.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:
Love's stretch ability and rebounding don't trump Wiggins' off-the-charts athleticism, defensive prowess, and ability to get his own shot, IMO.
I guess it just comes down to, do you think Wiggins is going to be a really good NBA player in the next 5-6 years? I think he sounds pretty good, but you just don't ever know for sure with incoming rookies. I would certainly not call him a "sure thing" or anything like that.

Kevin Love isn't a perfect NBA player, but he's a top-10 talent, he gives the Cavs things they really need, he's a known quantity, and he'll be in his prime for the next 5-6 years. Their main problem with him will be that their overall starting 5 isn't a great defensive team. I can totally see them getting all the way to the NBA Finals and then getting stomped by the Spurs or OKC because of it. But that'd still be a very impressive first season in for Cleveland, and they could look for defense and rim protection in the following offseason.
i agree with inf's take on the love situation, though my opinion is perhaps not as strong as inf's. maybe it's because i'm not a fan of either team and i don't see the suns benefiting from the situation in any way, so i just watch with mild interest.

in this day and age, i find myself leaning towards wanting a true superstar to build a team around, especially for a smaller market team like our suns. this star is ideally a two-way player who can create his own shot, and failing that he should at least make his teammates better. being a top 10 player in the nba is great, but i don't see kevin love ever becoming the kind of superstar i want, while there's certainly that potential for wiggins. so if i'm the wolves, i would consider that trade to be a really really good one. as things are now, they aren't going anywhere with love as the face of the franchise and it's time for a change.

for cleveland, i understand the argument talent-wise, but i wonder if anybody has considered the chemistry aspect... i've always felt that the biggest thing lebron could bring to that young team, other than sheer talent obviously, is a respected veteran presence that the youngsters could listen to and look up to. on paper, this was already a talented team, but dysfunctional, as reports of irving/waiters entourage clashes and the andrew bynum experiment show a glimpse into that big happy family... if nothing else, lebron being there might be enough for the young kids to get into line and play like a unit, and having love in the fold, in my opinion, helps in that regard. in that sense, i think while cleveland loses out on superstar potential for 12 years, it's getting a pretty damn good second banana who is only 25. so ... all in all, not a bad haul.

in the actual championship department, i agree with most everyone's take. the cavs now have the talent to come out of the east, and their main rival would be the bulls... but they may very well have trouble with whomever comes out on top from the west.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:They are going to have ridiculous talent. Bennett, Wiggins, Zach LaVine, the other Shabazz, Gorgui Dieng, Glenn Robinson III. That's a terrific situation. Too bad it may be wasted by Flip Saunders. I would love it if Hornacek was dealt that hand. Oh well, at least we have Tyler Ennis.
To me, the tone of this post is such that the Suns could be in that situation, and instead they have Tyler Ennis. Regardless, you're not one to pass up on veiled (sometimes not so) potshots at McDonough, so I thought the :roll: was justified.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote: I do think if Minny can squeeze Thad Young outta Philly for Bennett they'd have done pretty well.
That would be short-sighted. Young has an option year after this upcoming season and will undoubtedly exercise it. So they'll either lose him for nothing or overpay. Just keep Bennett.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
INFORMER wrote:They are going to have ridiculous talent. Bennett, Wiggins, Zach LaVine, the other Shabazz, Gorgui Dieng, Glenn Robinson III. That's a terrific situation. Too bad it may be wasted by Flip Saunders. I would love it if Hornacek was dealt that hand. Oh well, at least we have Tyler Ennis.
To me, the tone of this post is such that the Suns could be in that situation
Well you can pontificate over tone interpretation or you could just read the words that are there.

Here is about as analytical as you can get with what I posted:

Wolves have a terrific collection of young talent - Flip could mess it up - Hornacek would do wonders with it - I wish we had that - Tyler Ennis potshot.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Fair enough. Carry on. :)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

:)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I'm sorry, let me try that again:

Oh well, AT LEAST WE HAVE TYLER ENNIS!!!

Better?
I'm not so sure he'll be on the roster when training camp opens. He hasn't been signed yet as far as I know. A trade with Toronto could still be in the works.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."