2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Cap »

Loves me some Morant, but don’t think I’d pass on Zion.

Thrilled to get either one of them. 27.4% chance of a top-two pick.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep...think either one is a no-brainer pick at 1 or 2....3 is where the questions come. RJ Barrett seems to be the other consensus top 3 pick among media, but there is 4 or 5 guys I’d rather have. My preference would be to trade back or out at that point. If we keep it, I’d just take Clarke, Hunter, or Washington. Or Culver if we move on from Jackson and can fill our pg/pf needs elsewhere.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

3 is our exit from the draft

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:54 pm
Zion Williamson is a stud, and I would love to have him on the Suns. I also think he is the best player in the 2019 NBA Draft.

HOWEVER...

I am all in on Ja Morant. I don't think there is another player 2019 NBA Draft that would improve the Suns more than Morant. Right now, for me, the dream scenario is that the Suns land the 1st pick, the Knicks land the 2nd pick, and we trade them the 1st pick for the 2nd pick and Mitchell Robinson.
I don't know if I am yet onboard with trading the #1 pick. But I do think if we get the #2 we should absolutely draft Morant and keep him. I enjoyed watching him in the tournament and think he looks like a special player. He was getting a ton of assists despite playing with mediocre teammates. He'd really reinvigorate our offense, and I think he could play well with Booker and Ayton.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:54 pm
Zion Williamson is a stud, and I would love to have him on the Suns. I also think he is the best player in the 2019 NBA Draft.

HOWEVER...

I am all in on Ja Morant. I don't think there is another player 2019 NBA Draft that would improve the Suns more than Morant. Right now, for me, the dream scenario is that the Suns land the 1st pick, the Knicks land the 2nd pick, and we trade them the 1st pick for the 2nd pick and Mitchell Robinson.
Honestly, this may come off as hearsay with some of you, but I would then take that #2 pick and trade it to the Lakers if Clarke falls to them and pick up Lonzo and Clarke. Now, I've turned the #1 into Lonzo, Clarke and Robinson.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Passing on Zion would be the blunder of the century.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Possibly. I could never draft Morant outright over him, but give me a great bonus in addition to Morant (like Mitchell Robinson), and I would definitely consider it.

In general, I think people are too quick to jump to absolutes when it comes to the number pick. Last year, we just had to take Ayton number one...
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:51 pm
Possibly. I could never draft Morant outright over him, but give me a great bonus in addition to Morant (like Mitchell Robinson), and I would definitely consider it.
You would play Robinson and Ayton together?
INFORMER wrote:
In general, I think people are too quick to jump to absolutes when it comes to the number pick. Last year, we just had to take Ayton number one...
According to whom?

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Woudn't pass on Zion if we get the first pick. One of our weaknesses this year (I know we could list many) is when Ayton has gone to help there has been no other real body behind him to secure the paint. We can moan all day about it being his job etc, but he can't do it on his own.

Having Ayton and Zion would secure the paint on both ends for years to come.

With that secure base you can then surround them with shooters and talent.
We have Book, Bridges and I'd say Oubre. A serviceable point guard to help spread the floor and feed the guys in the paint where needed.

Going the other way and picking a point guard helps in the offensive end, but the PF we need to bring in needs to be able to compliment and improve us on the defensive end.

If we get the second pick then Morant sounds like the next best thing but then all of our focus should be on getting that real paint help we need.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

With this draft, if you land the #1 spot you have to take Zion. He's a once in a decade sort of player.

If you have the second pick, take Ja Morant. He's likely to be a long term answer at out other trouble spot: PG. He's a creator and a distributor who will happily get the rock to others.

If we have the third pick, there's a strong chance the Cavs will take RJ Barrett ahead of Ja. If Morant is still available at 3, take him. Otherwise trade out or down. There's no PFs or PGs at three worth the pick. We have a gazillion guys who can play SG and SF, and Ayton is our guy at center.

4th-6th... Darius Garland if available. Otherwise trade down or out.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:46 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Absolutely.
Shabazz wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
According to whom?
Probably 90% of the media. Our former GM. And most of this board.

Cap

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:39 am
Shabazz wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Absolutely.
Shabazz wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
According to whom?
Probably 90% of the media. Our former GM. And most of this board.
This board was pretty ambivalent about Ayton vs Doncic, as I recall. I certainly was.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:10 am
With this draft, if you land the #1 spot you have to take Zion. He's a once in a decade sort of player.
But he is not a "generational talent." ;)

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:41 am
Wormwood wrote:
That's what the data gurus are saying.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/zi ... -a-decade/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:06 am
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:41 am
Wormwood wrote:
That's what the data gurus are saying.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/zi ... -a-decade/
I think Zion is the best player, but with that said, how much better is he than Brandon Clarke? What do the advanced stats say about that?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

England Sun wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:30 am
If we get Zion, we'll be covered A to Z. Or in your case, A to Zed. 8-)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Just posted about him in the suns news section. Young euro PG prospect who is ballin lately is Tamir Blatt, son of NBA Coach David Blatt. Might be worth a second round pick.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:56 am
England Sun wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:30 am
If we get Zion, we'll be covered A to Z. Or in your case, A to Zed. 8-)
Nice!! And your right, Zion is not Zeeon ;)
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

SDC

Post by SDC »

morant-booker backcourt? will morant be playing mostly off the ball?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Today was my first DeAndre Hunter experience. I'm not a fan.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.