Around the League: September

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: September

Post by Indy »

Pearce is such a racist asshole.

Sent using Tapatalk

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

That Pearce is a knuckle-dragging troglodyte is no surprise. Why the state Republican Party would put a goat-butt-reaming twit in a major, high-profile office is beyond me. Barry Goldwater and John Rhodes must be wretching in their graves that their beloved state and beloved party would be represented by a maggot-brained excrescence such as Pearce.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Exactly. It embarrasses the entire state, and as much as it embarrasses the AZ GOP, what does it say about the Dems that they can't get the guy out of politics for good.

SDC

Post by SDC »

i wish there was a politics section in this forum. :lol: :?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Not sure if theses were posted...

Gustavo Ayon gets an offer from the Spurs
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... From-Spurs

Michael Beasley working out for the Spurs
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--f ... 27953.html

SDC

Post by SDC »

Wally_West wrote:Not sure if theses were posted...

Gustavo Ayon gets an offer from the Spurs
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... From-Spurs
if it's higher or almost equal to the offer in europe, ayon will accept the spurs offer.

redacted nba scouting reports from atlanta leaked

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/grant ... g-reports/

SDC

Post by SDC »

SDC

Post by SDC »

ayon has offers from spurs, real madrid and shandong. suns not even in the picture.
http://t.co/ihnMvQlyPU

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

LazarusLong wrote:That Pearce is a knuckle-dragging troglodyte is no surprise. Why the state Republican Party would put a goat-butt-reaming twit in a major, high-profile office is beyond me. Barry Goldwater and John Rhodes must be wretching in their graves that their beloved state and beloved party would be represented by a maggot-brained excrescence such as Pearce.
Ha. You talk just like him.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The NBA is on the verge of signing a new national TV contract that will double the current deal, a windfall that will launch the salary cap into the stratosphere.

One problem: No one knows when, or how, that cap jump will happen. It’s at $63 million for this season, and teams are projecting it could leap as high as $80 million for the 2016-17 season — the first under the new TV contract. Depending on how the league and its TV partners structure the inflow of cash, there could be one or two more mini-jolts before the cap settles into a new normal around $90 million.2

Grantland reported in July that the league is considering methods of pinching the onrush of money to avoid a gargantuan one-year jump in the cap level. Teams are speculating that the league might apply future TV money to the 2015-16 cap, nudging it up above the current projection of $66.5 million. A bigger than expected jump would especially impact max contracts, since they are tethered directly to the cap ceiling. The league has told teams in the last two weeks to hold their 2015-16 cap projections steady, but there is a roiling anxiousness that this may change soon — and an urgent need to know.

Any player contract locked in now, under a $63 million cap, will obviously look loads better from the team’s perspective if the cap hits $80 million in two summers. Both agents and teams understand this. Good luck hammering out an extension in this environment.
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-e ... a-vucevic/
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I think salaries ought to be indexed to BRI, just like the cap is.

This present business about players putting off signing new contracts in order to take advantage of an anticipated jump in the cap is annoying.

But what happens when BRI rises more slowly than anticipated? This hasn't happened in recent memory, but it will certainly happen some day. Teams will be stuck with old contracts signed in anticipation of more money being available, so players signing new contracts will really get squeezed. If salaries were indexed to the cap, then the disappointment would be be shared equally by players with new and existing contracts alike.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The only problem with tying contracts to BRI is that it puts a huge incentive on teams to under-report their BRI so that they don't have to pay as much money to the players.

As an example of this sort of thing from another field: Look at cinema. You hear about these movies with $350 million in ticket sales. Often if you look at how they do their accounting, they will report that they made almost no profit, or even a loss, on the movie. That might sound shocking or tragic, but really it's fake. They do this because they have lots of workers and actors whose contracts include a certain percentage of royalties on the "profit" on the movie. So they try to report as little profit as they can, so that they don't have to pay out as much. It's baloney.

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

carey

Post by carey »

So apparently the Rockets were honoring an agreement with Dwight Howard's agent when they let Parsons out of his contract to become a FA early. I'd link to the article but it's on Sheridan's site and fuck that guy. I'm sure other sites will pick it up soon. Signing Howard came w/ a list of demands and that was one of them. Another was adding Howard's brother to the Rio Grande Vipers NBDL team. Still another one was the Rockets hiring Howard's strength coach from Orlando. Unsure what the other demands were.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

BRI isn't based on profit, it's based on revenue, and it's audited by the player's association each year.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:So apparently the Rockets were honoring an agreement with Dwight Howard's agent when they let Parsons out of his contract to become a FA early.
Huh? What was the stipulation?

And what did Sheridan do?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:So apparently the Rockets were honoring an agreement with Dwight Howard's agent when they let Parsons out of his contract to become a FA early. I'd link to the article but it's on Sheridan's site and fuck that guy. I'm sure other sites will pick it up soon. Signing Howard came w/ a list of demands and that was one of them. Another was adding Howard's brother to the Rio Grande Vipers NBDL team. Still another one was the Rockets hiring Howard's strength coach from Orlando. Unsure what the other demands were.

Was it Howard that wanted Parsons out early or his agent? Did Howard do it as a favor to Parsons or as a means of getting rid of him?

If it was an agent demand and not Howards, and I was Howard, I would be pissed that my agent is using me to leverage other deals.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I imagine Howard doesn't care, he got his.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

I'm not completely sure if this even belongs here but the Cavs have signed Lou Amundson.

https://twitter.com/PrioritySports/stat ... 5764207617

Cap

Post by Cap »

As a point of clarification, Mori, I'm proposing that player salaries be indexed to league-wide BRI, the same value already used to set the salary cap and maximum salaries.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wouldn't be opposed to that. Players probably wouldn't like it because they'd be unsure of what guaranteed amount they were going to be paid each year. But it'd be fair because the league and the players share in the risk and the reward. It'd also make contract negotiations simpler to understand; you'd give a guy a percentage number, not a dollar amount.