Suns sign Rubio

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Suns sign Rubio

Post by carey »

JeremyG wrote:Career stats per 36 minutes:

Player A: 12.9 points, 8.9 assists, 4.9 rebounds, 2.2 steals on .388/.322/.838 shooting

Player B: 12.6 points, 8.7 assists, 6.3 rebounds, 1.9 steals on .400/.349/.785 shooting

One of them is a Hall of Famer. One of them is Ricky Rubio.
B is Ason Kidd because he doesn't have a J. Oooooooh!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:16 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:37 pm
Jazz Beat writer is giving a pretty brutal take on Rubio on Gambo and Burns.

Shooting was so bad he knew they were going to get a different point guard after last year. Defenses just backed off and focused on Gobert.
They made the playoffs with him. Wouldn’t making the playoffs make us happy at this point?
That would be our championship at this point. Sarver has taken us to depths of basketball hell I never knew existed.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:59 pm
Some PGs have a strong A:TO ratio because they can’t be trusted to run an offense. Not because they can.
That's true of guys that average 2-3 assists per game. Not really for guys that get up to 5 assists or more.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:24 pm
Seems like every other team in the West got better too so we gained no ground with our marginal improvement.
Good point.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:57 pm
The problem has never been a lack of pure talent or potential. It's been a problem of the sum of the parts being less than the parts themselves.
Eh. I see where you are coming from, but I do think there has been a talent deficit in addition to not knowing how to assemble a team of players that fit together.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:13 pm
Indy also gave up a first rounder and 2 seconds to get Brogdon.
Too rich for my blood.
Doesn't matter. They got their guy and looking around at the deals some other players got, it's actually a good proposition at $21.5M per. I would have loved it if Jones was able to pull it off.
I don't blame the Suns for not getting Brogdon. I could live with the salary, but investing that money in him AND giving up 3 draft picks is a non-starter for me.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:18 am
TJ was not a PF nor a shooter.
TJ was a good shooter last year.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:48 am

Add 3/30 for Satoransky and 2/12 for Ish

Who got the best deal?
From the team's point of view, it was easily Satoransky. That was a great deal. Satoransky is better than most of the guards on that list.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

OE32 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:08 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:54 am
3/30 for Satoransky is a really good deal in my opinion.
Yeah but I just don't see him as a guy who could command the ball as a starting PG next to Booker.
He did it next to Bradley Beal. And regardless of who is as point guard, Booker and Ayton are going to be asked to create a lot.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:45 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:52 pm
I would like to keep Oubre, but the Suns spent a lotto pick on Cam Johnson, so he must be awesome. Plus there is Bridges. Those are two guys that can man the small forward position.

After what they gave Rubio, I don't see how they can agree to a reasonable deal. It will have to be $20-21 million per season.
Ooh. The sarcastic side of INF is coming out in its full glory! :D
I was actually being mostly serious.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

n4th4n wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:12 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:00 pm
Excuse me, focused on Donovan Mitchell.
Well luckily our center can actually do something on offense from outside the immediate rim area.
He's got the ability, but he isn't using it. Gobert's aggressive in the pick and roll gave team's more to worry about than Ayton's wallflower routine.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:16 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:37 pm
Jazz Beat writer is giving a pretty brutal take on Rubio on Gambo and Burns.

Shooting was so bad he knew they were going to get a different point guard after last year. Defenses just backed off and focused on Gobert.
They made the playoffs with him. Wouldn’t making the playoffs make us happy at this point?
People talked up how Ariza and Anderson started for a playoff team.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:52 pm
JeremyG wrote:Career stats per 36 minutes:

Player A: 12.9 points, 8.9 assists, 4.9 rebounds, 2.2 steals on .388/.322/.838 shooting

Player B: 12.6 points, 8.7 assists, 6.3 rebounds, 1.9 steals on .400/.349/.785 shooting

One of them is a Hall of Famer. One of them is Ricky Rubio.
B is Ason Kidd because he doesn't have a J. Oooooooh!
Career numbers are skewed because of the years some of greats spend being role players on contenders after they are well out of their prime. And what that leaves out are all the triple doubles and career 3-point makes. But that stuff doesn't matter anyway.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:54 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:13 pm
Indy also gave up a first rounder and 2 seconds to get Brogdon.
Too rich for my blood.
Doesn't matter. They got their guy and looking around at the deals some other players got, it's actually a good proposition at $21.5M per. I would have loved it if Jones was able to pull it off.
Dude. 2 second rounders. Chill.

I don't blame the Suns for not getting Brogdon. I could live with the salary, but investing that money in him AND giving up 3 draft picks is a non-starter for me.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:05 pm
n4th4n wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:12 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:00 pm
Excuse me, focused on Donovan Mitchell.
Well luckily our center can actually do something on offense from outside the immediate rim area.
He's got the ability, but he isn't using it. Gobert's aggressive in the pick and roll gave team's more to worry about than Ayton's wallflower routine.
They staked this entire off-season on the idea that Ayton and Booker are, or soon will be, genuine NBA stars. If Ayton remains a wallflower, this team is DOA. If he takes a star-making step forward, then Rubio and our other off-season additions will fit well. I am not going to call it either way at this point in time. I think we have to wait to see what the product on the court looks like.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Well, try this little pickle out...

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:42 pm

Don’t tell Gambo :lol:

How about Tyler and Josh’s expiring contracts and an unprotected first? :lol:

EDIT: Would Oubre be a better fit than Russell for the Warriors? Hmmm...lol.

How about a Rubio/Russell/Booker/Saric/Ayton lineup?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:11 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:42 pm

Don’t tell Gambo :lol:

How about Tyler and Josh’s expiring contracts and an unprotected first? :lol:

EDIT: Would Oubre be a better fit than Russell for the Warriors? Hmmm...lol.

How about a Rubio/Russell/Booker/Saric/Ayton lineup?
I'm not sure how this works, nor do I ever think that GSW would do that, but it's interesting to think about.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

One of the benefits that's not being talked about much if at all is the help that Rubio could provide to the wings on the Suns. Spida Mitchell and Wiggins should be writing a check to Rubio each month for all the money he made them. Wiggins career was on a upward trajectory when Rubio was in Min and Min gave him a Max contract. As soon as Rubio left, his contract is thought of as one of the worst in all of the NBA. Mitchell starts his career off with Rubio, and all of a sudden he's one of the up and coming SUPERSTARS of the league with his own shoe line and nickname of "Spida" from being a "relatively" unheralded college player at Louisville.

I think Booker, Oubre, Bridges, & Cam(thinking that Jackson is not long for the Suns, even though he could benefit the most) could all really benefit from Rubio looking for the athletic cutters and then open looks for the other guys.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:52 am
One of the benefits that's not being talked about much if at all is the help that Rubio could provide to the wings on the Suns. Spida Mitchell and Wiggins should be writing a check to Rubio each month for all the money he made them. Wiggins career was on a upward trajectory when Rubio was in Min and Min gave him a Max contract. As soon as Rubio left, his contract is thought of as one of the worst in all of the NBA. Mitchell starts his career off with Rubio, and all of a sudden he's one of the up and coming SUPERSTARS of the league with his own shoe line and nickname of "Spida" from being a "relatively" unheralded college player at Louisville.

I think Booker, Oubre, Bridges, & Cam(thinking that Jackson is not long for the Suns, even though he could benefit the most) could all really benefit from Rubio looking for the athletic cutters and then open looks for the other guys.
Thank you In2ition. For everyone that's down on Rubio, remind yourselves of how up in arms fans were when we signed Nash. "He's so old and over the hill! He's unathletic!". Yes, the huge difference is that he could shoot. But he was older than Rubio when we signed him and many of the knocks Rubio has were the same with Nash. Though Rubio is a much better defender.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton