Around the League: September

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Around the League: September

Post by SDC »

RT @ASM_SPORTS: Official: @drayblatche has signed a one-year deal with the Xinjiang Guanghui Flying Tigers

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:I wouldn't be opposed to that. Players probably wouldn't like it because they'd be unsure of what guaranteed amount they were going to be paid each year. But it'd be fair because the league and the players share in the risk and the reward. It'd also make contract negotiations simpler to understand; you'd give a guy a percentage number, not a dollar amount.
the percentage concept works, except for the minimum salaries... but i guess that's why the whole cap situation is so complicated to begin with.

carey

Post by carey »

Never thought I would see a team with Hollinger in the front office sign Michael Beasley.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/514561126731108352

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Never thought I would see a team with Hollinger in the front office sign Michael Beasley.
It was crazy he was working out for the Spurs too. Hollinger must have some promising advanced stats on him. I don't think any external stats can measure what Beasley is missing though.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

The wizard of oz could totally help him...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:The wizard of oz could totally help him...
Ha! :lol: You're probably right in that he is missing a brain, heart, and courage.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Ha. Only at the end of the book all 3 have had what they are looking for all along. I'm afraid the same will never apply to SCB.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Ha. Only at the end of the book all 3 have had what they are looking for all along. I'm afraid the same will never apply to SCB.
Exactly. I don't think the Wizard could do much for him.

Sent using Tapatalk

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Former Suns asst. coach Phil Weber is the new head coach of the Sioux Falls Skyforce

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... s-Skyforce

Former Suns player Sean Marks is now a Asst. GM for the Spurs.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... sistant-GM

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Entering the 2014-15 NBA season, Milwaukee Bucks sophomore Giannis Antetokounmpo has a new head coach, a new star teammate, a new owner and even a new position. Jason Kidd was hired as the team’s coach over the summer and he wants to move Antetokounmpo from small forward to point guard.

Kidd believes the second-year player has the skill set to thrive as a floor general, and envisions him being a match-up nightmare with his 6’11 frame and 7’5 wingspan. The 19-year-old has been working out in Milwaukee with teammates and is prepared to make the transition to the one.

“I’m not going to say I was shocked by it,” Antetokounmpo told Basketball Insiders when asked about the move to point guard. “It’s something that I feel comfortable with and I’ll play wherever Coach wants me to play, especially when it’s Coach Kidd who thinks that I can play point guard. That makes me feel like, ‘I can play it. I can play point guard.’ I’m going to try my best and just listen to Coach. I’ll do whatever Coach says to do and I’ll get more comfortable.”

In addition to learning from Kidd, the Bucks have hired Gary Payton as a special adviser. He’ll work with Antetokounmpo as he adjusts to playing point guard. Antetokounmpo is ecstatic that he’ll get to learn from Kidd and Payton, and realizes this is an opportunity that most players don’t get.

“Oh man, it’s really important and nice, since they’re some of the best point guards in NBA history,” Antetokounmpo said of Kidd and Payton. “Not only are they great point guards, they’re great basketball players and can help us all basketball wise. Whatever they say, that is what I’m going to do. I’m so happy to have guys like them as I figure out the position and to have them teach me. I’m really excited. I’ve talked with Jason Kidd and he’s a really good coach, but he’s also a really great guy. He treats us really well.”
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-p ... int-guard/
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Unless you scold him for taking french fries from baby.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Smart kid.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

I don't understand the fascination with trying to turn players into point guards. It's probably the most competitive position in the NBA. You can't find a decent PG to let your player play his natural position? I can't think of an instance where this has worked well. Has it for Austin Rivers? Has it for Oladipo?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:You can't find a decent PG to let your player play his natural position?
I assume this is a long-term project, and the near term will see him playing PG at most a few minutes a game. It's Milwaukee, what do they have to lose?

carey

Post by carey »

Cap wrote:I assume this is a long-term project, and the near term will see him playing PG at most a few minutes a game. It's Milwaukee, what do they have to lose?
Well, they can ruin him just like N.O. ruined Austin Rivers. I think you need to be very careful when developing players. Strengthen their weaknesses, sure. Don't try to turn them into something they aren't though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

pickle

Post by pickle »

is that a way to say "we are tanking"?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Everyone is overreacting to this. Milwaukee starts two point guards in Wolters and Knight. Maybe Mayo reclaims his spot in the backcourt. All Kidd is doing is putting the ball in Giannis's and letting him run the offense from the 3 spot. Giannis is not going to be starting with another shooting guard, a small forward, power forward, and center. Brandon Knight will still start and defend point guards. Wolters or Mayo will start at the two. Ginannis and Parker will be the forwards. Pachulia or Sanders will man the 5.

I think Giannis is safe from going the way of Austin Rivers.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

pickle

Post by pickle »

so basically it's semantics... that would make sense.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

INFORMER wrote:Everyone is overreacting to this. Milwaukee starts two point guards in Wolters and Knight. Maybe Mayo reclaims his spot in the backcourt. All Kidd is doing is putting the ball in Giannis's and letting him run the offense from the 3 spot. Giannis is not going to be starting with another shooting guard, a small forward, power forward, and center. Brandon Knight will still start and defend point guards. Wolters or Mayo will start at the two. Ginannis and Parker will be the forwards. Pachulia or Sanders will man the 5.

I think Giannis is safe from going the way of Austin Rivers.

Suns ran offense through Hawkins back in the day, and also, for a time, ran offense through an undersized high-post center named Adams. LeBron got a lion's share of the offense run through him in Miami. With the demise of the classic, low-post, aircraft-carrier center entrenched in the low block, player roles become more fluid.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Bucks aren't going to win any games anyway, so what does it matter? Honestly, it would be good for them to lose more so that they get a better 2015 draft pick.